Dapol Intermodal Container cars

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
GWR_fan

Dapol Intermodal Container cars

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:29 am

I have just received a few pairs of these excellent Intermodal container flatcar pairs and am amazed at the included detail. Mine were in Freightliner green livery, however, other liveries are available. The amount of added fine detailing is simply stunning. The containers also (40 ft and 20 footers) are beautifully moulded and printed. I was not aware until two weeks ago that these models existed.

A point that I find intriguing is that the cost of the containers alone almost exceeds the total cost of a pair of flatcars plus the two forty foot and two twenty foot containers included with the paired set. The intricately detailed flatcar pairs are basically included free of charge. The models look stunning without a load and are heavy enough to run minus the containers. Initially I thought that like the Bachmann cars that these were diecast, however, they are plastic with a heavy metal slug embedded in the spine.

Alas, now I will need to get more!!!!!!!

skyblue

Re: Dapol Intermodal Container cars

Postby skyblue » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:27 am

GWR_fan wrote:Alas, now I will need to get more!!!!!!!

That's the problem with modern freight stock - one rarely if ever sees a short train of container wagons or coal wagons for example so you need more models, whereas in steam days and even the early blue diesel era there was more chance of that happening.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:40 am

With our state government railway back when I was very young, every time a goods train passed by a level crossing, it was mandatory to count the number of cars in the train. Back then four-wheel cars were still in use however, bogie stock was numerous and car numbers counted were always very high. A passing goods train always gave a sense of satisfaction when the count exceeded all expectations. As a child it was difficult to grasp the concept of so many waggons in the one train.

A container train in particular in these modern times will require a very thick wallet. For that reason I decided that coal trains did not run on my railway as they too seemed endless.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:40 am

GWR_fan wrote:...A point that I find intriguing is that the cost of the containers alone almost exceeds the total cost of a pair of flatcars plus the two forty foot and two twenty foot containers included with the paired set. The intricately detailed flatcar pairs are basically included free of charge...

It couldn't be the licence to reproduce the container liveries could it, bumping their price up beyond what a simple plastic moulding really costs? Altogether too much of that going on...

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:23 am

My latest arrival "GBRF" intermodals have an issue. The thinner inner end of both cars has a tendency to droop considerably. My fix was to glue supports midway along the underside of the container load and then glue the container to the deck. The added supports cause the container to lift slightly from the deck over the bogie mount bolster such that the end of the car is forced to align horizontally when the container is glued onto the locating pins on the car deck. I had to sparingly use superglue for this as the plastic solvent glue did not have sufficient grab.

While the Dapol cars are beautifully moulded, detailed and assembled, I believe that the diecast metal Bachmann intermodals are perhaps a better purchase for basically the same cost.

Return to “Dapol”