Kernow / Dapol Adams O2 0-4-4T

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
End2end

Kernow / Dapol Adams O2 0-4-4T

Postby End2end » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:55 pm

Well I finally got around to watching the free dvd that came with the December issue of BRM magazine.
It showed a pre-production model of the forthcoming Adams Radial from Kernow models running and a video review of it.
I was surprised to see such innovation to be honest. If you want to add a speakers for sound, easy. Just lift out the fake coal in the bunker at the rear.
If you want to add a decoder (and for me this really IS innovation) just remove the smoke box door which is held on by magnets. This, although available on another model is fantastic and new to me.
So no need to open up the model at all !!!!!
VERY clever in my opinion.
I think this will be on my shopping list once I have seen the final 7 liveries that it will come in.
The detailing is sublime on the model they use albeit the detail changes depending on which livery will be purchased.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bigmet

Re: Kernow / Dapol Adams Radial O2 0-4-4T

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:36 am

Isn't this a Kernow/DJM production now? (Losing track with the growing number of players all announcing 'everything'...)

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:35 am

Surely the Adams' Radial tank is a 4-4-2 ? The Kernow 02 is an Adams' tank, but not the Radial class.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:36 pm

Lysander wrote:Surely the Adams' Radial tank is a 4-4-2 ? The Kernow 02 is an Adams' tank, but not the Radial class.Tony

Sorry yes my mistake. It is indeed a Tank. I'm still trying to learn all the classes of Locomotive's. :oops:
Bigmet wrote:Isn't this a Kernow/DJM production now? (Losing track with the growing number of players all announcing 'everything'...)

Yes it is a Kernow/DJM model. It has Dapol mentioned in the article which confused me. Sorry about that.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:41 pm

You had be worried for a while ! I thought a third had come into the Radial fray !!

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:05 am

O2's are now in production in China from what I understand so in a few months hopefully they will be here. Painted samples look particularly nice, the mainland ones are a tad behind, only the Isle of Wight O2's have been decorated and started being produced.

On the Radial it was going to be Kernow's next model, but after finding out that various others had looked and were quite advanced it was dropped, and changed prior to Warley 2014, replaced with the GWR steam railmotor.

adrianbs

Postby adrianbs » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:56 am

Hi All It's about time this topic was renamed Oxfordrail 4.4.2T Radial or deleted. The first version is now available and although there are numerous errors it is not nearly as bad as the Kernow O2. Unfortunately OR seems to have rather muddled up the features of the 3 locos they are trying to cover and their 30583 would be almost as easy to modify and correct as 30584 or 30582 as to make it correct for 30583. The main faults being the dome which is the low Adams version instead of the tall version and the lack of daylight under the boiler.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:39 pm

Adrian for the love of god man, Shut up... You are coming across rather desperate... another topic locked... and then you jump to another and continue... do you ever learn.

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:50 pm

[quote="mattmay05"]Adrian for the love of god man, Shut up... You are coming across rather desperate... another topic locked... and then you jump to another and continue... do you ever learn.[/quote]

Obviously not he keeps on and on and on with his "superior " knowledge

End2end

Some loco

Postby End2end » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:39 pm

Some manufacturer will be releasing some loco at some point so some may want to buy some.
Is that any better? :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:07 pm

mattmay05 wrote:Adrian for the love of god man, Shut up... You are coming across rather desperate... another topic locked... and then you jump to another and continue... do you ever learn.

Agreed. There are very few threads here that ever get locked, we like a quiet life here. There's a startling correlation between locked threads and Adrian's presence, and Adrian is the only thing different in recent times.

Perhaps if you'd managed to present your ideas in a constructive, comparative way that wasn't confrontational, trying to stir up trouble, or trying to big yourself up by claiming superior knowledge and name-dropping people who I'd wager virtually no one here knows enough to get any significance then you might have managed to create a better impression. As it is, I think it's fair to say we're a bit fed up with you.

We all know about the lack of daylight under the boiler, that has been well documented (yes, even in magazine articles IIRC). Do you seriously expect OR to manufacture two different shaped bodyshells for one slight difference? It's just being unrealistic.

You're always going to get innacuracies to some degree or another, and whining about a mm here or there is ludicrous when we're using the wrong gauge entirely. I'm designing myself some North Staffordshire Railway coaches at the moment, and when I look at my drawings and notice various discrepancies my brow furrows until I remind myself that they'll be sitting on LNWR bogies on the wrong gauge and will go round curves far tighter than they would in real life, and there are so few pictures barely anyone will notice, and even if they do it still looks pretty convincing to me so I'm happy. The preface of my reference book really sums it up nicely; It says:

R.W.Rush, North Staffordshire Railway Locomotives and Rolling Stock, Oakwood Press wrote:It is intended for the convenience of the average model-makers, who comprise at least three quarters of the fraternity .... For them, the notes and drawings herein should be quite adequate. For the fanatical modeller, who must have every bolt and rivet in exactly the right place, ad every minor detail reproduced to the thousandth of an inch, this book is not for them. In the smaller scales most popular today - OO, HO and N - many details are impossible for the average modeller to produce, ad he must buy in commercially-made items which can only approximate to the real thing. Hence allowance has been made in the drawings for overscale wheels, commercial boiler mountings, and so forth. Though all available information has been used in preparing the drawings, several dimensions have been rounded up - even in 4mm scale there is no point trying to reproduce 8 13/16" for example, 9" is quite near enough

How 'bout you post some modelling instead?
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:25 pm

I can understand Adrian's point of view. He has been a manufacturer of quality model railway items for apparently forty odd years. I believe that he can claim superior knowledge of many railway topics and most likely is more qualified than most at determining what faults may exist in a model. I do not see it as an egoistic stance but rather wanting manufacturers to uphold his own very high standards and making consumers aware of such faults.

However, constantly raising known flaws or minute differences between cab or set numbers is not high on the need to know basis of most modellers. There are some who delight in such detail but they are in the minority.

I do hope that Adrian "settles down" and becomes a valuable contributor to this forum as both his knowledge base and his modelling skills would be of great benefit to all here. While we do occasionally criticise models that are released, in the main, the need to criticise is very low on our radar.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:36 am

Think the point is if the model looks like the prototype people will buy it. If there's a glaring error in the model....ermmm people still buy it! Just look at the Limby warship! :lol:

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:35 am

AdrianBS,

Perhaps the words "Has Been" are the most pertinent.
He has been a member of this web forum.

If he is so wonderful that he can have 100% accuracy why has he not
been snapped up by one of our top manufacturers ? I have no doubt
that with a re-sale price high enough & improved 3D printing & moulding
it should be possible to produce the 'Perfect' model.

The 'Perfect' model is not what NRM is about, we are the home of
tolerant average & novice modellers. I have a reputation for being
easy going - this time has now seen that expired.......

Thread still open this time as other routes have been chosen.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

whynot

Postby whynot » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:21 am

^^ Sounds about right to this average novice!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Return to “Dapol”