Dapol LMS 68 ft Dining car

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
GWR_fan

Dapol LMS 68 ft Dining car

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:37 am

I have purchased a set of Dapol LMS 57 ft coaches and included was a 68 ft Dining car. The dining car is fully lined and quite decorative, unlike the more recent Hornby LMS car. I am interested as to what timeframe this lined car would represent (mid-1930's?????). It does look very ornate and worthy of some lampshades at each table, if I find out how to disassemble the car.

Tim

stuartp

Re: Dapol LMS 68 ft Dining car

Postby stuartp » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:07 pm

The short answer is that the simplified livery was introduced from 1934. As ever vthough, it's not that simple as the details varied. Full explanation here:

http://www.lmssociety.org.uk/topics/gsCoaches.shtml
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:47 pm

Stuart,
many thanks.
Edit: The Dapol car is as per the photograph on the link supplied, thus making it a period II car.

Tim

Brossard

Postby Brossard » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:13 pm

I frequently get frustrated when the manufacturers don't give a diagram number for their coach models. Some practical info can be found on Comet's site: http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/ - coach kit M20 (dia 1718/1810). There's a photo of the finished model (BR livery alas) and a PDF of the instruction sheet showing underframe and roof detail. The nice thing is that you can buy details separately.

John
John

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:49 pm

John,
many thanks.

Tim

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue May 06, 2014 1:06 am

My set of LMS 57ft coaches arrived in the post today. It is indeed a pity that Hornby chose the modified underframe moulding to cater for the radius 1 enthusiasts on their LMS 68ft dining car. The Dapol car does look indeed resplendent in its period II lining and the underframe looks model like rather than the ugly toylike cutouts on the expensive Hornby underframe tooling.

Three of the cars received were actually Mainline and I was a little concerned matching the Mainline and Dapol cars together due livery differences on the two manufacturers' products. I should not have been concerned as even the car numbers are identical. It would seem that Dapol simply reissued finished Mainline production in their own Dapol packaging. A very impressive set of cars.

Tim

6C

Postby 6C » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:37 pm

GWR_fan wrote:Three of the cars received were actually Mainline and I was a little concerned matching the Mainline and Dapol cars together due livery differences on the two manufacturers' products. I should not have been concerned as even the car numbers are identical. It would seem that Dapol simply reissued finished Mainline production in their own Dapol packaging. A very impressive set of cars.
Tim

I have both BR Maroon and a Carmine and Cream (blood and Custard) versions - the former being a Dapol and the latter a Hornby offering - with the Hornby rendering offering only minor improvements, mainly in the area of livery application.

I have made up rakes of Stanier coaches from the recent Dapol kits and older Dapol and Mainline RTR versions, and they make up very pleasing to the eye formations.. 8)
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

Return to “Dapol”