Dapol to cancel orders with Kernow Model Centre

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Rustyrail

Dapol to cancel orders with Kernow Model Centre

Postby Rustyrail » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:50 pm

I've just been reading that the link between Dapol and Kernow (the special commissions side of things) is to cease, with Dapol cancelling a very large order with the well known Cornish shop.

Simon

alex3410

Re: Dapol to cancel orders with Kernow Model Centre

Postby alex3410 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:55 pm

Statement from Kernow Model Rail Centre about its exclusive models:
O Gauge and OO Gauge Models from Dapol
In our determination to provide high-quality detailed models we are constantly reviewing progress of our projects. Sometimes this can reveal that changes need to be made, most of which are invisible to our customers.

After careful consideration we have decided to manage the production of our Adams O2 and LSWR Gate Stock OO Gauge models directly with the factory in China, this being the same factory that built our award-winning OO Gauge Beattie Well Tank. We have asked Dave Jones of DJ Models to oversee these projects.

Work on the OO Gauge Tiger Clay Wagons, Bulleid Diesel locos and D6xx Warships also continues as well as other yet-to-be announced projects, all of which will be produced under a new commercial agreement of which details will be given in due course.

All existing orders for these products will be held and there is no need for customers to contact us about this change unless they have changed their phone number, email address or house address and not previously advised us.

A consequence of this decision is that Dapol no longer feel able to progress the O Gauge Beattie Well Tank project and associated clay wagons. We had been working with Dapol to find alternative ways of producing this model, but the pre-orders have been disappointingly low with fewer than 200 orders placed. This is despite a huge discount being offered to encourage and reward customers who placed a pre-order and it being made clear that the pre-order could be cancelled at any time. While we may look at this again in the future for the time being we are going to concentrate on our core OO gauge market. We have already emailed and written to all customers who still held a pre-order for the O Gauge models with details of a special offer to reward their loyalty and patience.

Even after the above changes we had around £275k of special projects remaining with Dapol and it was our intention to continue with these, but Dapol have cancelled all of these with the exception of the OO Gauge models of D1003V Western Ruler and B850ZA and B850ZB Weathered Silver Bullets which are already in production. Our exclusive Class 73s, Bubble Cars, Turbots and Class 22s have all been cancelled and we are obviously very sorry and disappointed that Dapol have chosen to do this. This unexpected act means that we have had to remove these models from our website and have not yet had chance to contact everybody who placed pre-orders but will do so as soon as possible.

We thank all our customers for their patience and understanding for bearing with us and with our new agreement in place we expect rapid progress to be made on the Gate Stock and O2 models and look forward to sharing positive news about these very soon.

Regular updates are available by subscribing to our weekly email newsletter at http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:49 pm

Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:18 am

Sour grapes ? Chucking toys out of pram ?
Pete.

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:04 am

Duel at dawn!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:01 am

A risk you take if you by-pass a supplier on a large scale.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:25 am

It wil be interesting to see now just how many of the commissioned items eventually emerge. That's a great reality check from Kernow about the UK market. There's been great excitement over the possibility of relatively cheap high grade plastic bodied O gauge models, but it hasn't delivered anything like the volume of pre-orders they required. You have to suspect that this may be a general truth, and as a result some proposed products from elsewhere may not happen, and not just in O gauge.

I don't see any sour grapes from Dapol either, just sound business sense. They have an 'announced product' list of their own as long as your arm, and new staff picking this up after the departure of Dave Jones; that's challenge enough. They have to look after their own business first and foremost, so if a partner moves to being a direct competitor then it is time to sever the link and look after your own shop, just as soon as contractually possible.

Do I ever again expect to see any 'Dave Jones' style direct engagement with modellers from inside a manufacturer? No, not unless it is the owner of the business making the engagement. Dapol have effectively paid for the person who was their employee to build his own brand as well as theirs. That's why this isn't the usual way things are done.

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:28 pm

Peterm wrote:Sour grapes ? Chucking toys out of pram ?

No common sense kicking in

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:57 pm

We have asked Dave Jones of DJ Models to oversee these projects.

I think answers all the questions

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:27 pm

I'm quite surprised that Dave Jones wasn't required to make a binding agreement in respect of on going projects. There seems to have been a lack of business accumen on the part of both Dapol and Kernow. Dapol should have had a legally binding agreem ent with Dave Jones and Kernow should have realised that Dapol wouldn't just roll over and allow them to take their slice of the profits.It's hard to imagine any company in the UK being persuaded to shift their production from a client company to a new one set up by a former employee for fear of the legal costs they could end up paying.

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:18 pm

trainlover23 wrote:We have asked Dave Jones of DJ Models to oversee these projects.

Interesting comment. Care to expand?

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Pennine MC wrote:
trainlover23 wrote:We have asked Dave Jones of DJ Models to oversee these projects.

Interesting comment. Care to expand?

I could but it would probably be better if I did not.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:39 pm

Very wise, there could yet be litigation.
Please refrain from making any comments criticising or in support of Dapol, Kerrnow or Mr Jones. Post links to any statements, press releases etc, especially news affecting future release dates. Please don't import the text of them.
If there's any doubt say nowt I don't like having to lock threads. Now somebody go out and find some good news to cheer us up :D

John W

Pete

Postby Pete » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:42 pm

Now somebody go out and find some good news to cheer us up :D

It'll be sunny in London tomorrow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743?day=1

:wink:

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:02 pm

Now somebody go out and find some good news to cheer us up

The commissioned models might actually appear in our lifetimes now instead of being constantly put back for whatever reason?

*grabs coat* :D

Return to “Dapol”