DRS Class 68

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Bigmet

Re: DRS Class 68

Post by Bigmet »

There are going to be more releases until the demand suddenly drops off when all the current traction enthusiasts have maxxed out their cards, or filled their TMD to the point that nothing can move, or collapsed the complete upper floor of the house with several dozen of these heavyweights on top of the Lima/Bachmann/Heljan/Hornby/Dapol stash. Just a question of biding your time. We should start a 'finally able to buy a discounted version' club.

Another possibility is a purchase from a member of the 'Gottahavethelatest-Quicklybored' family. About a month to wait I should think before they realise that what they really wanted was something newer...
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The shape of the 68 had me puzzled, I'm sure I'd seen it somewhere else, the flowing curves interupted by the edges of its bones poking through, the odd combination of smooth and jagged, the "what was the designer on moment". then I got it.The Nissan Joke(juke)
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
dubdee1000

Post by dubdee1000 »

Bigmet wrote:There are going to be more releases until the demand suddenly drops off when all the current traction enthusiasts have maxxed out their cards, or filled their TMD to the point that nothing can move, or collapsed the complete upper floor of the house with several dozen of these heavyweights on top of the Lima/Bachmann/Heljan/Hornby/Dapol stash. Just a question of biding your time. We should start a 'finally able to buy a discounted version' club.

Another possibility is a purchase from a member of the 'Gottahavethelatest-Quicklybored' family. About a month to wait I should think before they realise that what they really wanted was something newer...
As sure as... Given the speed they came and went, I wonder if they'll still be available for £125 when the new batch comes
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bufferstop wrote:The shape of the 68 had me puzzled, I'm sure I'd seen it somewhere else, the flowing curves interupted by the edges of its bones poking through, the odd combination of smooth and jagged, the "what was the designer on moment"...
It looks to me like an employment project for teams of 'stylists', they each got to do a third of the exterior appearance without reference to each other's work. With some of the operators then adding complex liveries, it must have been a test for Dapol's design and production.

That said the operator's reports of the crew appraisals are very positive. So that aspect is right, which is good news for operational performance and safety. A one time colleague of mine who is an enthusiast for current rail, regularly travels on a service which has now transitioned to class 68 power, and he like too; the increased power supplies a better recovery margin, which has improved timekeeping.