Dave Jones departing Dapol

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Bigmet

Dave Jones departing Dapol

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:13 pm

The very visible face of Dapol development is leaving in August. Dave has demonstrated an impressive work rate in bringing new models to market for Dapol, in such a way as to dramatically improve Dapol's standing. Dapol are recruiting to replace him, so time for all the critics of 'how it is currently done in China' to put up or shut up!

Big pair of shoes to fill, and they will need to be running shoes at that because the existing project list is a long one, and in three scales. Will be watching developments with interest. Both at Dapol, and what Mr Jones chooses to do next. My guess, trading on his own account.

martin_l_jones

Re: Dave Jones departing Dapol

Postby martin_l_jones » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:38 pm

Will be missed, Dapol have certainly raised their profile in OO scale with all the modern image wagons, and locos and especially the western, etc etc...

Perhaps he's been poached and one of the big boys will benefit from a very enthusiastic and competent individual.. :)
No more fotopic, now onto flickr...

Just started to load up my photos and video, see my layout and the real things at..
http://www.youtube.com/user/mljones21
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16645820@N06/6157779077/

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:55 am

Interesting wonder why???????????????????????????????

midland_red

Postby midland_red » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:08 am

This is why : - http://s480747971.websitehome.co.uk/

He has set up on his own.

Good luck to him.

Trevor.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:05 pm

No great surprise, as per the last sentence of the post I opened this thread with. The guy has won himself a considerable - deserved - following for a series of fine looking models, presumably has the entree with at least one of whatever Chinese manufacturing contractors he has worked with, and either has sufficient money or investor(s) behind him such that a shot at trading on his own account is practical.

Just wonder where he will 'settle' in terms of scale and subject choice? In his shoes I would be looking for a distinct 'niche', offering something which complements what is presently available, and ideally not overly attractive to any of the bigger established operators.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:43 pm

And now we know: this ought to transfer to other manufacturers. http://djmodels.co.uk/

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:05 am

Those prices look pretty good for a high spec' model. I'm seriously thinking of getting a 00 J94 ordered. Even the 0 stuff looks reasonable.
Pete.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:04 am

Choice of a J94 in "OO" seems a bit odd. I don't know how accurate the ex Dapol Hornby one is, but it looks like one to me, so the way I look at it most people who want one will already have one, and it will only be the perfectionist who would want to replace theirs with this more expensive alternative. I would have thought a J50, or any J that scored high in the recent polls and isn't available RTR would have been a better bet.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:13 am

D605Eagle wrote:Choice of a J94 in "OO" seems a bit odd. I don't know how accurate the ex Dapol Hornby one is, but it looks like one to me, so the way I look at it most people who want one will already have one, and it will only be the perfectionist who would want to replace theirs with this more expensive alternative. I would have thought a J50, or any J that scored high in the recent polls and isn't available RTR would have been a better bet.

I can only see the J94 as a more of an advtage to a new buissness in that the same tooling can be used for a varitey of liveries, where as a J50 would come in green or black (2 shades of course). But I agree there are various other locomotives they could have used which would probally sell better over a duplicated locomotive. Whatever the reason I wish Dave good luck in his venture, a new manufacture on the market can only be a good thing for us right?
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:46 am

I feel it's been chosen as one of the most 'universal' steam locos so should have broadest appeal: offering it in three scales means the research is spread over more sales. Competition is two dated models in N and OO, costly brass in O ( I believe).

But yes, I should have preferred a 'breaking new ground' model. I have a Hornby J94 which has been mechanically worked on to make it a good performer, looks well enough with a little added detail and weathering, and only need one. DJM will get a sale from me only if the Hornby item turns its toes up.

Whatever, it's his money and his to gamble with in line with whatever he believes will win the necessary sales. Hopefully it will go well for him.

LittleReggie

Postby LittleReggie » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:37 pm

I like the look of the Baby Deltic. Not done in N scale before?

Reg.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:24 pm

was in OOO donkeys years ago by a company called "lone star"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64196730@N00/4032340163/in/set-72157622510289055

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:10 am

On his website Dave states 'ample factory capacity'. Does this imply a new manufacturer on the scene or perhaps the other British 'manufacturer' is merely making excuses for being years behind in bringing product to market?

It seems that Dave's product line will set very high production standards with every component matched for superior performance. Unless he is anticipating low production volumes then he will be a very busy man personally checking every item before dispatch. Good old fashioned professional service that puts others to shame.

Tim

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:30 am

I suspect he is in with a relatively new manufacturing partner, aggressively bidding to win business. Bit different from Hornby's position of needing a lot of capacity from a well established manufacturing services vendor with multiple clients all competing for the development and manufacturing slots. Thinks he can personally do his own QC as well six thousand miles from the manufacturing source; that stands for 'Quick Crack-up' in my experience. Quality Assurance (QA) in design, and then at key stages in the manufacturing process is the way to go: build the quality in by intent is the QA way, rather than inspect the defects out afterwards (QC) and then have to fix them. But I hope he actually knows this, and the QC check in the UK is for transport induced problems only rather than intrinsic quality of the product in design and manufacture.

D605Eagle wrote: (The class 23) was in OOO donkeys years ago by a company called "lone star"

Indeed it was, from their factory alongside the ECML about three miles from where I am currently sitting. The early product was items they could see from the design office. First all wheel drive twin bogie model in UK RTR too. By rubber bands admittedly, not the most sophisticated drive arrangement! The dedicated afficianados can still get them to run pretty well, there's been a Lone Star collectors show every few years at the local museum which is a real nostalgia trip. Some of the Lone Star die casting tools still exist, beautiful examples of the tool maker's art.

Return to “Dapol”