Building a Control Panel With LED Route Indication

Articles which have been discussed in the main article section (7 days+) and are ready to be added to the main site.
lowerdarwen24d

Re: Building a Control Panel With LED Route Indication

Post by lowerdarwen24d »

Was there ever a Part 3 published for this topic? lowerdarwen24d
retiredoperator

Post by retiredoperator »

Hi Modellers. I need some help, with my latest project. Just to be different my yard has
Manual Points, and I keep getting derailments, why? simple, I keep forgetting to throw the points. Therefore I have had to make some adjustments to the principle, I have my panel , LED's, plug and socket. My plan being able to plug in a "flyer" from the panel to the baseboard but , I cannot find a tidy solution ,for a "Nine Core" cable for the flyer.
Can anyone help? Happy Modelling. Kev
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I would like to help but need a bit more info, as I don't understand what you mean by flyer, nor why there are 9 wires?

Could you explain a little more of what you are trying to achieve please
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
retiredoperator

Hi Timbersurf. Thank you, I may have got the name wrong? But it is an extension lead, from the panel, that is loose and flying about? And it consists of four pairs of live wires from the spare pins of the DPDT slide switches which control the points, to the LED's on the panel, and the negative return. And that is the difference . Manual Wire In Tube point control, no motors. Which means either a green LED or a red LED illuminates according to the way the points are facing. Simple. Happy modelling Kev
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

For a 9 way connection and for just low current LED feeds a ready made M&F ended D connector lead cut in half might suffice? Though you won't be able to remove the cover for panel mounting as they are usually mounded on it could be used as two flying leads which connect together with the cut ends terminating one inside the panel and the other on the layout? Typical example..example lead link

Another alternative for a robust connection and just eight wires is to use an 'Aviation' multipin connector socket and plug. Aviation plug and socket example sold in matched pairs. See my pre wired panel end examples at the bottom of this item.

I use 9 or 25 way D connectors. Soldering the wires to the solder bucket pins is fairly straight forward.
You would need a male and female pair plus a shell (cover) for the removable part. Example D connectors
Where my panels have two of more 25 way D connectors I reverse every other one, so as a male socket is next to a female connection then there is less chance of accidental crossed plugs. Where more than two 25 way D connectors are used I also colour code the plug and the sockets with strips of coloured electrical tape.

Insides of a recently made panel and on the right hand side are the 25 way D connectors

Side view of panel during wiring. Shows the reversing of M & F connections. The circular socket (DIN connector) on the left is for a hand held controller.

Close up of a 25 way D connector pre wired and ready to fit into the side of the panel.

Panel mounting end of an Aviation connector 8 way type which is ready to fit in the panel.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

If Flashbangs (very good) solution is beyond your soldering capabilities, SCART are very cheap and very easy to solder (huge flat lugs) viewtopic.php?f=8&t=46560&p=564896&hilit=scart#p564896 or if soldering is out, then you could use this type of Male/Female Choccy https://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-Pluggable- ... B0071KZE30
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
retiredoperator

Flashbang Thank you , very enlightening . I began with the soldering which is just within my capabilities , but I really need a new pair of reading glasses or a head magnifier? That is a very neat job, by I haven't seen shrink tubing that small for sale, good idea, where can I buy some? I bought my plug and socket from a well known Cambridgeshire model shop but cannot buy a multicore cable anywhere, the best I can do is to bind the single wires with cable ties.
Excellent work, thank you again. Kev
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Heatshrink tubing from here..link 1 Or eBay sellers link 2

9 core flex cable - only suitable for powering LEDs or other low current applications. Not solinoid point motors etc. link 3
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Just to add one little caution, when buying double ended 25 way cables, make sure they are described as fully wired. The specification for the 25 pins is all encompassing and allows for the use of as many or as few of the pins as needed. The most common being the "nul-modem" cable which uses either 7 or 9 of the pins and the similar "serial printer cable" which uses a slightly different set. If it's not described as fully wired either don't buy, or take your chance on one with a really thick cable.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

For a really reliable connection with higher power requirements, I think it's best to use automotive-type connectors. If you need lots of contacts, these are a good option, if a little pricey. Use different types of connectors if necessary to avoid mis-connecting them. Rather than using multi-core cable, use separate wires and either wrap in cloth tape or use PVC sleeving.