NRM Article - An attempt - Infra-Red in OO

Articles which have been added to the main site
Silver Surfer

Post by Silver Surfer »

Hi Kindling

I too am getting on a bit and the small problems I had getting the module and battery into the tenders was more to do with my now less than nimble fingers than anything else, but you should be ok with O gauge.

The system is great with OO electric or diesel type locos as you can have a receiver in each cab facing any direction you choose. Unfortunately, I am steam outline and the only place it could go was in the tender coal load facing up towards the ceiling, which caused the blind spot I mentioned. Also I didn't want the receiver to look like a growth of some type sticking up through the coal.

As you're in Derby's, why not give Steve Leyland at Micromotive in Clay Cross a call and arrange to view (he's got IR fitted into an O gauge Diesel). He's a real nice guy and very helpful. Or have a look at their web site at http://www.a1micromotive.co.uk/Red_Arrow_equipment.html
He's also got a video of an O gauge GWR steam loco travelling along a platform - on it, not at the side of it. I think it was from the Bodmin O gauge layout and it clearly demonstrates the potential of IR in O gauge.

This really is a nice bit of kit. I've got no complaints and I'm glad I tried it but it just wasn't for me in my particular modelling circumstances.

I wish you all the best with it.

Mike
Kindling

Infra-red

Post by Kindling »

Many thanks for that, Mike.

It's all down to a decision that will be made shortly after the Warley NEC Show. My OO gauge RTR stock is way out of date, and for a change, I want to try another scale with more scratchbuilding. It is either going to be 3mm scale 14.2mm gauge branch line, or O gauge industrial. In the end, it will be down to space and control method.

I was very interested to see Red Arrows address. It's not far away!

Once again, thanks for posting your experiences.

Al.
Silver Surfer

Post by Silver Surfer »

Al.

I've sent you a Private Message. Click on 'you have 1 new message' at top right of your screen.

Mike