NRM Article Archive - DCC control

Articles which have been added to the main site
saslord
Site Admin

NRM Article Archive - DCC control

Post by saslord »

I believe I will be moving into DCC soon and I will probably go for the Hornby elite controller due to its price. A lot of people we get on the forum are asking about it and it would be nice to have a guide to it in the main site.

I am planning on setting it out as below.

1). What is DCC

2). DCC V DC

3). Recommended DCC units and why?

4). DCC Decoders.

5). How to convert a DC layout to DCC?

6). How to fit a DCC decoder.

Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated
matt

Post by matt »

well DCC is Digital Command Contol where you contol the locos rather then the tracks. it rules out the need for isolation section on the layout as there is no need for them. there is a constant supply to the track meaning everywhere is live. the locos have a chip fitted into them that move the locs and can change lights on and off ect. this is a another good point of DCC as the lights on locos stay on all the time! also with the chips you are able to set cetain settings like speed acceleration etc. and locos all have a number so that the controller can identify it and then take the action required.

i currently have the bachmann EZ set and find it very user freindly and a good piece of kit. and at the moment only have the CL25 chipped, although my other locos will be done when time and funds permit, although i am a bit wary of taking the locos apart.

but i think the way forward is DCC and it will not be long before the companies put the chips into the locos in the factory. also it has big advantages on shunting layouts, or when you are double heading or even banking,, in my opion DCC rocks, go and try it!

hope this helps
Matt :D
VFR400 a smaller version of God

http://matthewtomsjamescummins.fotopic.net/
dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

To add to what matt said to have all sections of the layout say 2 or 3 loops pwered together then all loops need to be wired to the two wires from the DCC system,as if you don't then you will only get power to the one loop that the two wires are connect to even though you got points connecting the loops together.

And if you have a layout thats has sidings,fiddle yards etc all these sections need to be wire to a bus wire that the DCC system is wired to,if your using inslufrog points then the wiring is easier to do but if your using electrofrog points then the wiring is abit more complicated to do.

I am wiring my layout ready for DCC when i change over later this year,but the whole layout will be wired to run DC till then.
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Wiring for DCC is really no more difficult than wiring for DC. (in fact it's meant to be easier)

For instance, if you had a siding with an electrofrog point and wanted to run a shunter in the siding while you were running a train on the main line you would still follow the same rules whether you were using DCC or DC. IE you would need an insulating fishplate on both frog rails of the point and another feed to the siding.
If you set up your DC layout to run 2 or three controllers with the ability to control any part of the layout simulateously via some kind of switch panel you just remove the switch panel, take all the feeds and plug them into the relevent terminals on the DCC controller and hey presto - you've gone DCC!
The "bus" just saves you running lots of long wires if you're wiring for DCC right from the start.
Any questions? :^)

Did you want all that in this thread, Saslord, or should we send stuff in to you?
Regards
Rob
dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

Thats what i was talking about rob but never good at explaing it right,i am wiring mine from the start to run DCC but can't get a system till later on this year so when i do get one i just connect the two wire and it's done.

But i will also beable to still us DC till then to run my trains.
suchahampal

Post by suchahampal »

saslord
Site Admin

Post by saslord »

Iron duke has done an aritcal on dcc. I uploaded it just last night. see below.

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/el ... ollers.htm

having also now started to use dcc I have added some basics the the dcc page. I do need more information on sound decoders, decoders, dc to dcc conversions, dcc point motor switching, etc
PTmodeller

Post by PTmodeller »

I fimed this at Preston District Model Railway exhibition, if you want to use it.
Cheers,
Dave
surf1845

Post by surf1845 »

Wow! That is so bad!! :shock: Did it really sound so awful or is it just the way the camera mic picked it up? If it is that bad I'll be looking at other sound options.
Les

Visit my N gauge layout

What's that burning smell....?
PTmodeller

Post by PTmodeller »

I agree it sounds more like sodding concorde.
ringz

Post by ringz »

It didn't sound at all like the video in real life. The high frequency end of the sounds have been accentuated out of all recognition.

I heard the 66 in Syston model shop with 3 other people and they all wanted one :D

Regards,

Martyn.
PTmodeller

Post by PTmodeller »

Yes, the mic is quite bad. The quality was really quite good, it's the cost that puts me off more than anything.