NRM Review - Hornby Pendolino Set - Review (not Complete)

Articles which have been added to the main site
Class 60

NRM Review - Hornby Pendolino Set - Review (not Complete)

Post by Class 60 »

Well Guys, i was going to wait untill next week and give a full review of it and a good test however rubbish TV and Neice and nephews came down meant that i had to disappear for a while :roll: ....................so i took the set and tried it!!

The Hornby Virgin Pendolino Set is complety DCC fitted complete with (new Revised)Trackmat and the Select DCC controller, also included is the Track packs A + B giving you enough track to have a full loop and 2 sidings.

When i first opened the set I found it quite remarkable how superb the detail is on these sets although the packaging of the actual train's themselves could be a bit better, the overall standard was 9/10 for me!

Usually im a manual man and have to read over the book several times before i attempt anything, however the quick step guide to the Select Controller made it easier than i could believe and within a minute of plugging it in, i was turning on the functions for the lights and giving the Train set a good old thrashing of FULL power :twisted:

Good points for this - would be very easy to use, Superb Detail and a bargain and maybe a worth while investment!

Bad points - The power Car doesn't tilt unlike the others and this could be a disappointment to some people however Overall i believe that you wouldn't be able to notice after a few hours :roll:

Overall 10/10! - Hornby have done it this time, possibly producing one of the best sets they have done in many years!

Pics and Vid will be posted up tomorrow! and also a better review come to think of it :P

Cheers

Adam
rmg1919

Re: Hornby Virgin Pendolino Set - Review (not Complete)

Post by rmg1919 »

Class 60 wrote:Overall 10/10! - Hornby have done it this time, possibly producing one of the best sets they have done in many years!
A good review, but don't you think 10/10 is a little 'enthusiastic'?

I would not buy one for two main reasons:
1) traction tyres
2) the rather cheap/naff motor
Class 60

Post by Class 60 »

Thats quite true mate, it must have been the drink talking :roll:

maybe 9/10 would be a trurer value however if you are looking to buy a set for a young modeller or you are new to the hobby then this is a superb set to get and for the money* then it would be 10/10
2) the rather cheap/naff motor
Im 50/50 on that statement - i think the motor is capable and works well however if you are going to look at adding extra coaches aka the Coaches Pack at around £30 then maybe adding another power car to the rake would benefit!

Adam
Class 60

Post by Class 60 »

however if you are going to look at adding extra coaches aka the Coaches Pack at around £30
Just realised my own mistake - that should be around £30 each just for 1 coach.
AdamH1990

hello

Post by AdamH1990 »

Class 60 wrote:
however if you are going to look at adding extra coaches aka the Coaches Pack at around £30
Just realised my own mistake - that should be around £30 each just for 1 coach.
ad you are jokeing 30quid a cioach , thats way to much i think.
thanks Adam, my layout thread below

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... highlight=
Class 60

Post by Class 60 »

yeah mate it is a bit too much but the detail is superb.

right so this is a picture review;
Click on images for better quality

Here is the box :wink:

Contents - as you can see here, the actual wrapping of the train itself could be better

The Power car - (taken with flash)

one of the 1st class coaches - with pantograph

Close up on the pantograph detail

Close up detail on the panel side of the coach

Couplings on the Set.

Couplings fully closed....

Forward directional lighting

Backwards directional Lighting

Vid to follow tomorrow

Cheers

Adam
PTmodeller

Post by PTmodeller »

The motor can pull a full set- I've seen it done.
rmg1919

Post by rmg1919 »

PTmodeller wrote:The motor can pull a full set- I've seen it done.
That may be the case, but I'm not convinced that it's a decent mechanism. Give me fly wheels etc. any day.
PTmodeller

Post by PTmodeller »

But are fly wheels needed on such a model? The prototype would accelerate (quickly) and then run at full speed to it's destination where it would slow into the station then stop very quickly.
gra

Post by gra »

OK guys need some help here.

Some friends of mine have just bought this set for their son and we cannot get it to work. The train is just dead on the tack. The Select control unit seems to be working ok. Plug it in and it displays the 11 and 30 before displaying the 03 default address but the train will not move.

Have tried re-coding the loco by holding select for 2 seconds.
If you press button 1 as it states in the manual the LCD flashes 1 and not 01 as per manual. The only way I can get it to flash 01 is by pressing 01 first. The red LED always flashes 8 times and the train does not respond.

Can anyone help with this as we have one very unhappy young lad on our hands at the moment!
santene

Post by santene »

take it back i would! incase you fix it wrong because then youve handled it so they wont take it back but thats just me if it doesnt work it goes back!
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy