First 00 Layout - Any Suggestions Welcome

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
nevbull

Re: First 00 Layout - Any Suggestions Welcome

Post by nevbull »

Thanks for everyone's input - after discussion with my son - he's decided on the layout as attached photo. Taken into consideration no coming off of R1 curves into the station area and lots of sidings for his collection. Anyrail printout done and stuck together - it fits!!!

Looking at self build 3D printed servo turnouts with Arduino control - can't afford stock ones with 23 turnouts on the board!!!

Just got to find the finance now......
Attachments
IMG_4489.jpg
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

nevbull wrote:Looking at self build 3D printed servo turnouts with Arduino control
Is this an already designed thing or are you starting from scratch? Do you have a 3d printer then?
Regards
Rob
nevbull

Post by nevbull »

Hi Rob

There are a couple of mounts already designed on Thingyverse - but I may model my own - and yes - I do have a 3D printer

Nev.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

nevbull wrote:Thanks for everyone's input - after discussion with my son - he's decided on the layout as attached photo. Taken into consideration no coming off of R1 curves into the station area and lots of sidings for his collection. Anyrail printout done and stuck together - it fits!!!

Looking at self build 3D printed servo turnouts with Arduino control - can't afford stock ones with 23 turnouts on the board!!!

Just got to find the finance now......

That is a lot of track! Now what I would personally do in that situation if funds are tight is to use new track for the main running lines and secondhand for the sidings. The real railways did this as well. The sidings are not used so much so don't need to be so perfect as the main running lines do.

While I would normally suggest flexible track as a cost saver, with your design I would stay with sectional track because the curves I would use sectional track anyway, and most of the areas where one can use flexible track to save costs can be much reduced in price by using second track anyway (The sidings), so I would buy new track for the main running lines and all the points leading off the main running line and all sidings in secondhand track.

You mentioned printing points? (Turnouts). That is interesting. Will they be live or dead frog points? I have made a few points myself but I use the traditional PCB method, but I am trying to visualize how to make them work with the rails on a 3D printer. You do have the advantage that if you aant to it would be easy to make dead frog points as scratchbuilding points like I have done means they are all live frog points. Of course, live frog points are best for electrical contack, but it intregues me how your points will be made.