Ideas for n gauge on a door

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
atnas666

Ideas for n gauge on a door

Post by atnas666 »

Hi guys.

I'm after some idea for a n gauge layout on a old door.
It is mainly for my son. So the more interactive shunting, Points etc the better.

I no thats a bit low on the idea front.
But any ideas welcome
Mountain

Re: Ideas for n gauge on a door

Post by Mountain »

You have quite a lot of potential in that in N gauge. While the plans themselves I will leave to others, here are a few thoughts...

If an oval of track is moved off centre to the board so it gives a more diagonal type of effect which avoids the "Train set" look to it where it looks more like a model railway. Curves instead of straights done with flexible track can give a similar effect.

While it is tempting, try to avoid going overboard with the track. Leave room for the scenery, and scenery at different levels, especially below the track level looks really effective.

A tip from the USA is to take a siding or a line off a junction (Which either represents a dissused line or one in use, but is not used on the layout) to the edge of the layout which gives the impression that it runs elsewhere. It gives the illusion that ones railway is part of a larger system. (Just make sure ones trains are not going to fall off the edge of the layout if one adopts this idea!)

And good luck. Model railways can be fun!
atnas666

Post by atnas666 »

Some good ideas in there sir will definitely keep them in mind
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

As regards of a track plan, take a look at many layouts out there. You can scale down 00 gauge layouts into N gauge if you see one you like as 00 gauge is twice the size so for N gauge, the same plan will fit in half the width and half the length.

I have always tended to first buy an oval of track and a point or two and experiment in the space I have at the time to get an idea of what will fit, and go from there to buy extra track as I need to. (These days I have turned to making my own track but the general principles are the same).

These days there are also track planning programs. I do not use them myself but others can help in this.
heda

Post by heda »

My old N gauge layout was 32” x 72” which is around door size. I don't have a track plan as such but it might give you something to work on.
Dave
https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 22&t=49491
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

In America they call it an HCD (hollow core door) layout. Google that. Plenty of ideas there.

My own N scale layout is slightly larger than a door. Although I have a shunting bit I hardly use it. I just like to watch the trains go round.
https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 15#p671081
Regards
Rob