Intending to try 'EM'

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Dad-1

Re: Intending to try 'EM'

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:36 pm

Hi Richard,

Trackwise I also believe the Peco produced track would be the best way, however I'm currently playing around with C&L where I
already have 5 x yard lengths.
Pointwork is going to HAVE to be home made as I need short points more akin to Streamline 'Short' versions due to the space
limits on the planned board. I never use any computer planning aids, but lay out in 1 : 1 with parts - except I'll have to make
points myself.
I hate to be overly critical, but we have Marcway points with SMP track on the clubs West Bay layout. The track was no problem,
but the points have been slightly unsatisfactory due to the 'V' being so much lower than the adjoining stock and switch rails. This
has caused us a lot of stalling problems with a Heljan loco that has zero vertical movement in the axles. We have also had to re-solder
a couple of times.

I have made 1 '00' point before and it worked apart from never finishing the switch rail pivoting again something I may need to do
on my EM, but using code 75 track I might get enough flexing in the rail to keep fixed.

This is going to be some interesting experiment.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:41 pm

Ahh Stainsacre,

As a Yorkshireman you will understand my low cost approach. I do need replacement axles though
B2B just under 16 mm and the wheels are almost falling off !!
I now need some cheap code 75 rail, oh and see just how much copperclad I have because I can't expect
my first point to be up to standard ..... although I live in perpetual hope !!

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:31 pm

Dad-1 wrote:...I have made 1 '00' point before and it worked apart from never finishing the switch rail pivoting again something I may need to do on my EM, but using code 75 track I might get enough flexing in the rail to keep fixed...

The code 75 rail will flex very easily and thus the closure rails may be soldered to a gapped copperclad tie bar. If the layout sees long term use, resoldering or a replacement tie bar may be required. The practice you will have had in making the track will mean this is the simplest job.

Not that the layout will last that long if the track building appeals. You will move on to P4 soon enough...

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:38 pm

Geoff experiment with soldering an L shaped bit of brass wire, as low down on the inside face of the switch rail as you can get it, then fit it through a hole in the tiebar and turn it under, so that the rail is pivoted. It will last longer than soldering rail direct to tie bar.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:58 am

Bigmet has more faith in my (Latent) abilities than I have !
I will admit to talking to the P4 guys at the Exeter Show a few years back, but super accurate
brass wagon chassis are not for me. All I want to do is try to see if the improved look is worth
the effort.

This is done from my new lap-top on Win10. I'm still trying to get into my emails, remember when these
things came with a book, or the mostly used 'Quick Start' leaflet. Nowadays as good as zilch, ahh it's all
in the programmes ……… but where ??????

Geoff T.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:44 pm

New laptop, Windows 10, doesn't come with an email client, you have a choice of using webmail, you can struggle to get the text a comfortable size depending on who's mail server you use, or go for a third party email client, I use the free version of "eM client" which might be appropriate for you, :) it also has a neat and tidy looking Calendar which happily talks to most other calendar apps.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”