Jay Dee's new layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Jaydee

Jay Dee's new layout

Postby Jaydee » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:43 am

Sorry guys I got waylaid yesterday. But here is a diagram of my new layout, I have already had to make some changes to it, because of the nature of the Bachmann track that I have already purchased from a friend who is scrapping his layout because of ill health I have got all Bachmann track at the moment but because of it’s limitations I may have to change some of it, This leads me into a question.
Layout-Plans 1.jpg

Can the Bachman track be connected to other maker’s tracks with cork track bed to get the correct height? I have only 2 different radius tracks and I need at least 3. I was thinking Flex track for the inner rails, any suggestions and advice would be appreciated. This is what I have come up with so far.
IMG20190611142141.jpg

As you can see I have had to change the position of the turnouts on the left side, this is the 1st of 3 sheets.
IMG20190611142155.jpg

The grid lines correspond with a scale drawing that I have the grid lines on, they are 100 mm squares. I need to clear some more room in the shed so that I can start on the bench work.

Mountain

Re: Jay Dee's new layout

Postby Mountain » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:12 am

Yes. Probably Peco is the most popular make. You may well need to pack it up a bit. The track height known as the code needs to be adjusted if they are different. As long as the gauge is the same.... Yes. It can be done. I do not know a lot about Bachmann track. I am assuming you are modelling in N gauge? Peco do codes 55 and 80 in N gauge. They do codes 75 and 100 in 00 gauge.

Jaydee

Postby Jaydee » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:16 pm

Thanks Mountain Peco track is readily available here. I hope to get to the train shop tomorrow, so I will take some Bachmann track and compare them. Bachmann do not seem to have points on a curve and that is what I need for some parts of the layout to work properly, I know Peco have them.

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Very adventurous plan, good luck with the construction

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:28 pm

Hi Jay Dee
Looks like a really interesting plan, and you are off to a flying start. Looking forward to watching your layout develop. I'm afraid I can't help you with your track question as my own layout is all vintage.

Jaydee

Postby Jaydee » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:03 am

No problem Dublo as I visited the Little Train Shop in Brighton today and was able to make a match with Peco flex track and cork roadbed so it just needs a bit of packing at the join between the different tracks. i have now worked out how I am going to do the bench work clever idea even if I do say so myself. you will just have to wait until I see if it will work or not.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:56 pm

The plan looks very good! Im interested to see how you travel with the bachmann track as I have had no experience with it.
Perhaps I missed it but are you intending this to be American based?

Jaydee

Postby Jaydee » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:19 pm

No real theme to the layout Joshv8 I have just purchased a v line A class diesel Loco and some of my carriages are USA but I can refinish them later.
I have now been considering changing the right side of the layout as I won an electric turntable on auction at E bay yesterday and I am now considering a new layout for the right hand sheet I will have to move some of the rails on this part of the layout but I was going to anyway because I have some great dioramas in mind for the back corner of this sheet.
img20190624_09541713.jpg

More on that later on, I have been busy making up the support structure for the layout it is just about finished, i will have some photos tomorrow.

Jaydee

Postby Jaydee » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:05 pm

have now finished the tressels to hold the layout, I had a set of storage racks in my shed that were in the way of the layout, I was going to sell them but they were only getting $40 to $50 for them on marketplace so I have cut them down to make two stands for the outside sheets and I have a couple of bars to go between to lock every thing together.
I will have to reinforce the edges of the sheets so that I can join them together and lift them in the future if I have to move them the racks are very light I can lift them easily.I have clued some 6mm packers along the length of them to allow for wiring.
Bench 1.jpg

At the moment I am using the bottom of the rack for storage but this along with the shelving can be removed for work the be done on the wiring Ect.
Attachments
Bench 2.jpg

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:26 am

Track plan you posted is very cool, you can fit the space ok?
I think its a great idea using the supports you already have for your base. I looked at something similar however for the time being just built the boxed in baseboard and sat it on the dining room table. Missus only stored junk on it anyway.
I think overall your beginning a very exciting build. Looking foward to more :D
Josh

Jaydee

Postby Jaydee » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:28 pm

I have just purchased a Wilsons of Cleveland turntable has anyone got instruction sheet they can email me Please

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:40 pm

"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Jaydee

Postby Jaydee » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:59 pm

Thanks End2end I will check them ou, I have not had a real good look at it yet as I am not ready to install it yet

Jaydee

Postby Jaydee » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:41 am

I've had a look at the right hand sheet again and this is what I have come up with so far.
img20190627_16110363.jpg

I am thinking that the outside Red track will be made in Bachmann easy track and the rest will probably be in Peco track as it is much more available and affordable here in Melbourne

Jaydee

Postby Jaydee » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:09 pm

I have been playing around with Sheet 1 of my layout with the turn table, trying to get a connection with the other 2 sheets. This is what I have ended up with so far. there will be some changes especially on the yard end right side I will probably fill this area with track t make things fit.
Layout 10.jpg

I have also nearly completed the stiffening of the base boards almost ready to join them up on the benches.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”