Making minories in settrack?

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Hymirl

Making minories in settrack?

Postby Hymirl » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:23 pm

Hows my layout that I started? Lets just talk about new projects for now... ok. :oops:

Lets talk about the classic Minories by the late great CJ Freezer. Can it be effectively built with settrack points or does it need medium turnouts as a minimum to avoid coachs looking ridiculous offsets between ends as they negotiate the station throat?

Mountain

Re: Making minories in settrack?

Postby Mountain » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:31 pm

I habe not made it myself, but I would imagine the plan can be made with larger radius pointwork, though one would need a longer board to do it.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:45 pm

The thing that makes Minories work is the station throat, with transitions from straight to curve bringing in the parallel tracks. There's a difference between the geometry of settrack and streamline points. A settrack point connects as though it is a half curve laid on top of a half straight. Using settrack points won't give the flow of the tracks in the same way. You can do the same junction with Streamline short points. The complex will move a little shorter, but won't look too different.
If you have a printer, print out multiple copies of the diagrams from the Peco website and lay them out on a large sheet of paper, lining paper or the back of old wallpaper. Nothing like seeing it full size, to help decide.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:32 am

I can endorse what Bufferstop has said as I built my first version of Gateside using the Minories plan with Peco small radius points, I would not recommend using anything sharper as the snaking effect of full length Mark 1 coaches is noticeable. That said it is a very good compact configuration, I adapted it by making the loco bay into a full length platform which could not be accessed by incoming trains but could be used for departing trains once the stock had been shunted round by the station pilot. Instead of the goods station I had a long siding which acted as a carriage siding and a headshunt for a small two road locomotive depot.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:50 pm

I think I suspected as much, the box of old settrack can sit in its box a bit longer. Maybe I should use the oppotunity of getting new points to go for electrofrogs for the first time...

Also;

I'm planning on fitting a return loop (with a few storage sidings) to attach to it which gives a few foot of senic run on the exposed side. And lets me send locos to the 'depot for turning' if a tender loco turns up.

luckymucklebackit wrote:That said it is a very good compact configuration, I adapted it by making the loco bay into a full length platform which could not be accessed by incoming trains but could be used for departing trains once the stock had been shunted round by the station pilot. Instead of the goods station I had a long siding which acted as a carriage siding and a headshunt for a small two road locomotive depot.

I think I like the parcels depot in the version two he published. Although I'm wondering if a release crossover from platform 3 to the goods headshunt is worth it to allow the station pilot to worry a few vans without getting trapped.

Does introducing a run around risks defeating the point of minories?

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:45 pm

So after a lot of measuring, head scratching and changing of minds (which I spared you guys from), I'm concluding Minories doesn't fit and I fancy a superficially similar but simpler single track three platform terminus.

This plan and layout are ancient O guage but half dimensions and fiddle some length and I think 3 coach trains can work happily. Still allows a lot of busy work compared to the traditional BLT.

Again I think a return loop with storage sidings lets me pretend to have a busy service schedule. And lets a train go for a little run once past the station throat!
Attachments
Screenshot_20190309-165900.jpg

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:09 pm

The bridge is a neat device for only a single track to a terminus facility that suggests double track might have been justified. (A background history of development might be that this line and thus the bridge was constructed very early in railway history across a deep valley or tidal inlet to serve an already significant town. The town grew much larger thanks to the rail connection and with it the traffic has grown beyond early expectations. Now it is inconceivable that service be interrupted to allow reconstruction for double track over the bridge.)

I think you could have a lot of fun with that. Moving the bridge just a foot or two further from the station would be beneficial. Particularly splendid that there's a picture of the constructed O gauge layout in the spacious grounds of Beet Retreat. Do we suppose that E.A. Beet was an enthusiast for the LNWR? Looks like a Claughton on the arrival, and the carriages are appropriately two tone. Those were the days when model railway really was a rich man's hobby...

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:29 am

I really like the bridge idea, that would work really well.

I don't know anything of E.A. Beet outside of this picture which I nicked from an anicent locked thread on RMweb, LNWR seems most likely to me although I couldn't identify the loco,the coaches are definitely pregroupibg by some way and there aren't many big locos like that around at the time.

Other options is Borchester which featured in Railway modeller of 1963 (Possibly acquired this edition digitally, no comment!). Again a model inspired by operational railways (almost) at the time.
I like the headshunt for the goods yard running alongide the running line here (in my version, would run up until the bridge!)
Attachments
Screenshot_20190315-101856.jpg

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:43 pm

Aha, Borchester another classic layout. The amount of times I've read and re-read about this layout. Goes alongside Leighton Buzzard and the Sherwood section.

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:12 pm

Always like Borchester (drop me a pm if you want to read the full article again!). :D

Although the other option in my shortlist (I promise its the last!) is Portishead (the 1950s built station). Single line terminus with resricted space hosting a moderate commuter service and had storage roads alongside for the power station's coal and van traffic for the adjacent docks.
The docks used sentinel shuntersb which could visit to trade empties!

My cutoff would by just before the junction to the dock and I would delete the run around loop on the 'top' side, and take the sidings off the run around loop in the station so the run around is there instead of further up on the junction loop as per prototype.
This make it become a bit more like Ian Rice's classic Ashburton but theres elements of the original worth keeping I think.
Attachments
S649B-2.gif

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:20 pm

There should be some room for compression, I seem to remember it had a very long platform that would stand a bit popped off.

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:45 pm

Yes quite long, cut down to 4 foot of platforms allows three coach trains and I can work loco release though station pilot or new engine onto the train.

Wildly unprototypical for portishead but if the line had higher traffic is a potential could have been.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:02 pm

That was station number 3 for Portishead and there have been rumblings and mutterings about building station number 4, as they demolished number 3 just as the place started growing, now they are all complaining about how long it takes to get into Bristol of a morning. total lack of foresight as usual.

roganty

Postby roganty » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:42 pm

Bufferstop wrote:now they are all complaining about how long it takes to get into Bristol of a morning. total lack of foresight as usual.

As part of "MetroWest" they are going to reopen the line into Portishead and build a new station.
Due to either luck or good planning the line has been left unbuilt on, and they have left a space for the new station.

Anthony
(From the other side of the river Avon)
Main Layout: Planning | The Build

Erikslund - a small shunting layout

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:38 am

Due to either luck or good planning the line has been left unbuilt on, and they have left a space for the new station.

That was my impression when driving in to Portishead, whether or not it was on the original line I wouldn't know, but there's definitely room for a modern terminal station. (ie. platform and bufferstop).

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”