Layout ideas please

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
saabsandmusic

Layout ideas please

Postby saabsandmusic » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:21 am

Suddenly got a space 7' x 7' and have been looking at the Hornby HP27 Plan, ( I like it for its central operating well and long continuous run and engine sidings) - want to build a predominantly freight layout, before I commit to this plan, just asking if anyone has anything better in mind, have also looked at a dumbbell type layout but cant seem to get that on a board ( not good with flexi track so using ready made pieces) could possibly stretch to 8 x 7 but want to be able to access all parts of layout, era Green diesels , all and any ideas welcomed before I make a start !

Mountain

Re: Layout ideas please

Postby Mountain » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:55 pm

Lots of potential. Green diesels... Standard gauge B.R.?
Narrow gauge diesels?
Freight... A Freightliner terminal, a coal yard, even a hump shunting yard... A station with passing avoiding loops... How about a model of Burry Port and Gwendraeth Valley Railway with triple headed cut down class 03 diesels which pulled around 50-60 steel sided mineral wagons (The grey ones being mostly 21 or 24T but some 16T were occasionally seen). I am not sure if it went from steam locos (Which were not so successful as regular flooding would put the fires out) straight to blue class 03's or green class 03's.
A large goods shed like the one at Llanelli (Which today is half the size it used to be).
Lots of options.

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:56 pm

I couldn't find a picture of the plan online so looked in my track plans book (10th edition / page 19).
Is this the "Round the Island" layout?
If it is, I always preferred that track plan of all the plans in the book and seriously considered it before realising I had more room. :D

There are 2 things on that layout that now (knowing more) turns me off of it and that's the use of two 1st radius curves and the curved points in the lower left of the plan.
Although :-
The curved points could be replaced by straight points placed on the bottom parallel tracks (to the right of where the curved points are on the plan) solving that issue. :idea:
On those bottom parallel tracks I would personally add 2 pairs of opposite straight points so trains could get from one track to another in either direction rather than just (as the plan shows) one place to change tracks on the whole layout (using the curved set of points in the lower left of the plan).

Of the two 1st radius curves, one is in the inner sidings so I think that could be solved somehow. :idea:

That leaves the second 1st radius curve as a part of the inner loop. With some juggling around you may be able to ease that curve from 1st radius, but possibly at the expense of the inner loops hidden sidings (at the top of the plan). If that makes sense. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

saabsandmusic

Postby saabsandmusic » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:05 pm

Excellent, but now I have found a plan on freetrackplans 'AYR' which utilises almost the same shape but seems to have more actual running potential, Oh if only it were easier to make my mind, really want to get started but dont want to make a mess!

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:17 pm

saabsandmusic wrote:more actual running potential

Sadly at the expense of adding even more curved points. :?
Do you have the free version of scarm you could possibly have a play with? You may be able to recreate a layout that encapsulates both layouts main points of operating interest avoiding using curved points and 1st radius curves?
https://www.scarm.info/index.php - no affilation. Just a free user.
Hope it helps
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

saabsandmusic

Postby saabsandmusic » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:10 pm

Thanks, what is the problem with curved points, are they prone to trouble?

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:26 pm

Just one example - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=53087&p=652615&hilit=curved+point#p652615
Some brave souls will use them, but personally I'd rather not gamble with something that has caused so many so much trouble. :?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:34 am

saabsandmusic wrote:Thanks, what is the problem with curved points, are they prone to trouble?

My advice would be avoid if you can, however if you are only using small shunting locomotives you just might get away with it.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”