Thinking aloud.

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Brian2

Thinking aloud.

Postby Brian2 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:14 pm

I gave up railway modeling some eight years ago. Wheelie binned the layout and track, hid the locos etc into the back of the wardrobe and forgot them.

But now I have felt that it's about time to start again. I retrieved the stuff from the wardrobe. Various stock and about a dozen locos, mixture of British andGerman, Rocco, Fleischman etc all in their boxes awaiting to be reserected.......but.
I rather fancy a completely new start

I don't intend a large layout, train movements have little interest , scenery and buildings are my bag......some here might remember me in the past as BrianT. So it's a glorified shelf about 18"x 16' long.

I hate complications, particularly wiring, hence I am seriously considering radio control, about which like most things I know nothing. Baseboard construction I thinking going the foam route. But the big thing is gauge. As I mentioned scenery is my main interest so a simple branch line would be enough. I love quirky models so perhaps narrow gauge in some form might be one option, or.....just seen a picture of the new Dapol Terrier in 0 gauge, nice but have I enough room. Or if I haven't would narrow gauge 00 be an option or would the RC stuff be too big?

Even thinking of manual point control.

Should I keep the old stuff or perhaps part exchange it, if anyone offers this facility.

With the RC thing does anyone supply ready to run, seems a bit complicated for me?

Any input welcome.

Brian.

Dad-1

Re: Thinking aloud.

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:35 pm

What sort of layout ?

£ for £ and hours of enjoyment my shunting layout is the best thing I've done.
Have a look at HSII
DCC, not really needed but it gives THE BEST slow running control.
Points by rod operation
One Good modern tank loco
10 wagons
50" x 18"
Look at viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50741#p621756

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:43 pm

Brian2 wrote:As I mentioned scenery is my main interest so a simple branch line would be enough. I love quirky models so perhaps narrow gauge in some form might be one option

I have recently changed gauge/scale to O-16.5 = 7mm scale running on OO gauge track. And I have to say I have found it very liberating! I love the fact there are no British outline RTR locos or stock - but there are lots of kits available from quite a few manufacturers - as it means every loco, wagon or coach you build can be given its own character and identity. Of course you can go for a different gauge if you want, O-14 is quite popular . . .

Quirky is very possible in narrow gauge! And I think the room you have available would be perfect for 7mm narrow gauge! And very dramatic scenery is particularly applicable to narrow gauge as that's one of the reasons the railway wasn't built there in standard gauge! Please have a quick read of my thread using the link below, for the builds I have done, and some interesting general discussion as well.

P.S. another thread worth a read is this one by Mountain who is a very prolific poster on this forum (and loves his narrow gauge!)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:30 pm

I don't know how to put those little links up. If I did I would share a few ideas. For simplicity I just stick to 12v DC. There is something about 7mm scale narrow gauge that is beautiful. It is large enough to have a presence and yet small enough to fit in a small space. PinkNosedPenguine makes some excellent models. He uses DCC with stay alive, and spray paints his models with excellent results. I take a different approach of brush painting using gloss paints for the locos and coaches with matt paint for the good stock. My models are characterful. Slightly more toylike. Yet both PNP and I who have two different approaches both share kits from Smallbrook Studio and Peco. I hve not yet bought Slimlines kits like PNP has, but I am very interested in doing so in the future. I also enjoy scratchbuilding.
Here are some advantages to 7mm narrow gauge. (Known in the UK as 0-16.5 and in EU as 0e, and in USA as 0n30).
Larger scale so easier to see and paint etc. Sharing the same gauge width as 00 is very useful in that chassis and other parts can be used from 00 gauge sources.
If one is careful to choose smaller locos and stock one can use 7mm narrow gauge in a small space. I am making a layout that is just under 7 ft long and 2 ft wide. (See Llwyndrissi Halt thread in the layouts under construction section). I also use manual point control etc.
I have found 7mm narrow gauge to have extreme budget potential. I can make waggons for less then £1 each though a £2 budget gives the luxury of metal wheels.
Attachments
IMG_20180530_093715_643.JPG
IMG_20181016_130929_214.JPG
IMG_20180531_131832_494.JPG
Samson & Ruthy 1.jpg
Clöé 4.jpg

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:34 pm

Radio control is definately possible. On a dedicated narrow gauge site that I am on some members are experimenting in a much smaller scale with success.

Brian2

Postby Brian2 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Well the good news.

Have discovered an Aladdin's cave of a model railway shop, half a mile from my house. If anyone lives local it's in Pothoven Lane, Outwood, Nr Wakefield.

Now the bad news, it's a minefield for the undecided and what's more they have several Dapol Terry locos unstock......Oh dear.

Brian.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:25 pm

Just some thoughts, from a fellow 'more interested in the build than running' modeller......

Engines will always sell for a good price on Ebay, cash will then buy your next adventure.
This is a cross between RC and DCC, bluerailtrains.com, there are modellers out there that do commissions and shops that will fit DCC etc for you.
16ft is huge, plenty enough room for O gauge looong shunter layout :D
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Brian2

Postby Brian2 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:51 pm

The 16', in fact could be longer ibut it is round three sides of the room. Hence the corners with the 18" width would probably too tight for full blown 0 gauge. :( but narrow gauge 0 scale might be a contender. Then narrow gauge 009 but don't know re space for the R C receiver, in fact waiting fora reply to an E mail. Jolly old OO gauge running on Peco's new bullheadtrack might be good, although I think turnouts are limited to large radii.

I am amazed at the variety of stock now available,however my usual gripe from years past still seems prevalent, no decent RTR 4 or 6 wheel coaches, apart from kits.

Also what's with all this talk about fish juicers? Claims to simply wiring how? Surely it has to be connected three times, same as doing it using a point motor or am I missing something?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:13 pm

7mm narrow gauge... Bachmann do USA locos and stock in RTR form. Fleishmann used to do the 'Magic train' which can be found secondhand.

Brian2

Postby Brian2 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:26 pm

[img][/imghttps://flic.kr/p/PSjWK6

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:07 pm

Hi Brian,
To share the photo from Flickr
  1. Click on the "Share" button,
  2. Click on the "BBCode" tab at the top of the "Share" dialog.
  3. Select the photo size "Medium 800 x whatever" from the drop list (800 px is the preferred photo width for the forum)
  4. Rick click on the code and copy then paste it in your reply here
e.g

Code: Select all

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PSjWK6][img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4830/31418289067_d9bd3f000f_c.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/PSjWK6]untitled (37 of 37)[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/148304961@N07/]Brian Tompkins[/url], on Flickr

=

Imageuntitled (37 of 37) by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

Nice photo !
Regards
Rob

Brian2

Postby Brian2 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:50 pm

Thanks Rob.

Unfortunately I stored all my old layout pictures on BB.....lost the lot......bet your all glad.

Brian.

Brian2

Postby Brian2 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:35 pm

ImageL1040287Small2 by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

That seems to have worked thanks.

Ferris

Postby Ferris » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:39 am

A shop in outwood, would you be referring to going loco by any chance?

Brian2

Postby Brian2 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:30 pm

That's the one, but being a Southerner I got Outwood and Lofthouse mixed up. ;)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”