New Layout Ideas - Carstairs Inspired Layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
matt1471

Re: New Layout Ideas - Carstairs Inspired Layout

Postby matt1471 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:25 pm

Thanks great you still have the original plans. Thanks for sharing them with me. We really useful as I had only made the track plan from photo references, so they have really helped.

I wonder how the layout is now? I would love to have the extra space, but I think 26+ft is a bit much to ask the wife for!! :lol:

Anyway, after much fiddling and changing, I think I've now got a final plan of the layout including the fiddle yard which took me ages to think about to allow for each road to change and move to one another.

I'm sure there any many 'experts' out there.....any advice would be gratefully received before I commit to building!

Thanks
Matt
Attachments
Carstairs V2c THIS ONE.jpg

Gordon H

Postby Gordon H » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:52 pm

One of the main points of interest in operations at Carstairs was/is the splitting and combining of Glasgow and Edinburgh sections of trains.
To do the southbound combining you might want to consider extending the Up Loop line to allow room for the Edinburgh loco and coaches before they back on to the Glasgow section after it arrives on the Up Main. One way to do this would be to add a headshunt to the loop line, which although not quite prototypical, would give more room for this activity.
Something like this:
Carstairs Alternative 2.jpg

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:12 pm

An interesting feature of the Carstairs signalling was the two "permanent red" signals mcx and mcy, on the up main and up loop, they were the first of their type on the UK network and allowed passenger trains to be signaled under a main aspect rather than a shunt signal. The Edinburgh portion would be signalled into the loop or main line under main aspects before reversing back into the platform.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:13 pm

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the information and advice. I've added a headshunt as Gordon suggested and I'm interested to know more about the signalling and location of the two red's that would be displayed.

I've had to reduce the size of some of the boards to make it fit better into my room, so here is what I hope to be a final version of it all now.
Attachments
Carstairs V2f reduced sweep mainboard.jpg

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:45 pm

Here is the signalling diagram for Carstairs Station

CARSTAIR.GIF
CARSTAIR.GIF (10.66 KiB) Viewed 815 times

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:47 pm

Were the two permanent reds a single aspect signal?

Off to get my wood cut tomorrow so hopefully can start baseboard construction! :)

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:25 pm

matt1471 wrote:Were the two permanent reds a single aspect signal?

Off to get my wood cut tomorrow so hopefully can start baseboard construction! :)

They are standard two aspect signals of 1970s vintage, the upper aspect is plated over with no hood fitted, cant find a photo unfortunately

Jim

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:30 pm

I'm starting to now work out the block detection sections for Carstairs.

Can anyone assist as to how best to design this please?

Thanks
Matt

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:05 pm

I don't know if this project is still in the planning stage, but on a journey south on Wednesday the train I was on was checked while approaching Carstairs and passed the fixed red signal at a slow enough speed to get a snap off.

IMG_20190227_122853.jpg
Carstairs Fixed Red Signal

Hope this is useful

Jim

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:02 pm

Brilliant, thanks for that Jim!!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”