New Layout Ideas - Carstairs Inspired Layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
matt1471

New Layout Ideas - Carstairs Inspired Layout

Postby matt1471 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:04 pm

I'm considering having to stop progress on my Port Moon layout and re-design and relay the track work, however I'm struggling to come up with a new track plan.

Ive got a space of 11ft x 7ft to play with. DCC control.

I'd like a station, engine depot to host a transfer table and a number of sidings for a goods yard.

Scottish area 1980s theme.

Ideas please!
Last edited by matt1471 on Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain

Re: New Layout Ideas

Postby Mountain » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:36 am

You need Emettman. I dont think he has been online for a short while though. He is an excellent layout planner.
I tend to use old fasion methods of getting old track out and finding what fits.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:57 am

matt1471 wrote:I'm considering having to stop progress on my Port Moon layout and re-design and relay the track work, however I'm struggling to come up with a new track plan.

Ive got a space of 11ft x 7ft to play with. DCC control.

I'd like a station, engine depot to host a transfer table and a number of sidings for a goods yard.

Scottish area 1980s theme.

Ideas please!

How about something based on Carstairs, it has a station, engine depot and had a small yard (PW). I have seen a couple of layouts using that location as a theme. For a station with a simple island platform there is a lot of operating potential.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:02 pm

Only managed to find one picture of Carstairs that gives me a bit of an idea on what it would look like. It certainly looks feasible.

Any other sources of research available?

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:19 pm

Some info on Carstairs

https://web.archive.org/web/20040406163734/http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk:80/carstairs.htm

The 1973 track layout was very flexible and could result in a lot of operating potential.

It has been modelled before, some photos of one example here https://www.stroleycentral.co.uk/myfavouritelayouts3.htm

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

matt1471

Re: New Layout Ideas - Carstairs Inspired Layout

Postby matt1471 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:23 pm

After the suggestion of Carstairs from Jim, I have come up with the following trackplan, inspired by Carstairs station and junction.

I'm quite happy with it and I've manage to get it to fit into the space I have available.

The only part I'm not happy with is the two lower loops infront of the scenic break which represent the Dolphinton junction branch.

Anyone have some ideas on how to improve this area/loop.

Thanks in advance
Matt

Carstairs V2a.jpg

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:40 am

I would make the whole bottom section as a Fiddle Yard, the two loops would be the "Edinburgh" fiddle yard and the other tracks would be the "Carlisle/Glasgow" fiddle yard.

Jim

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:52 am

Having found and bought the March 2007 edition on RM which had a feature on Nottinghams Carstairs layout and reading the operating methods, I have decided to do just that.

It will also simplify the layout build too!!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:55 am

I was going to look that out for you, saves me hunting the back of the loft!

Jim

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:16 pm

Aw bless you Jim!! Thank you!!

Was a bit disappointed on the photographs in the RM magazine. Had better reference from the links you sent me above!!

Anyway, I'm happy with the layout design I've come up with now and have just purchased the license for SCARM to be able to completely design and draw the layout before printing to give me a working template to build from.

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:24 pm

I'm struggling to make a large enough fiddle yard due to the constraints of curves and bends.

I've come up with this now, however any advice to improve the fiddle yard would be grateful received.

I've also added some PW/Ballast sidings on the right hand side of the board.
Attachments
Carstairs V2b.jpg

Gordon H

Postby Gordon H » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:17 pm

You might like to see the complete track plan of the original Nottingham/RRS Carstairs layout.
This is derived from the individual paper sheets produced by hand for each baseboard, and combined into a single image - long before it was possible to do it with any readily available CAD package.
The layout was/is 28ft x 10ft, and I believe there is currently a plan to rework it into a simpler form by replacing the scenic Law Junction side with a re-designed fiddle yard.
Not sure how well the JPG version will appear, but I also have PNG and BMP versions unfortunately which are too big to upload here.
allbase.jpg

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:41 pm

Great plan, captures the essence of the original really well, if I remember correctly they didn't model the overhead wires, just the masts and arms.

Jim

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:28 pm

That's brilliant Gordon, thank you!! Were you part of the club that originally built it?! How did you come to have a copy of the drawings!!

Looks like it runs on two levels to include the larger fiddle yard?

Gordon H

Postby Gordon H » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:01 pm

The layout was originally conceived and built by the Riverside Railway Society, our club, which was based at Tilbury Riverside above the BRSA club in the station building (before it closed).
After the station closure the layout was adopted by the Nottingham club, as by then one of our members had moved to that area, and the members there were working in a similar genre, building 'Deepcar'.
I have the layout documentation, mainly because I created it all in the first place, and needed to keep records during construction, mainly for the control system.
The layout as built was effectively on three levels.
The Carstairs station and Lanark/Law Junction areas are effectively ground level, with the internal Fiddle Yards (North and South) raised so as to allow the Edinburgh line from the triangle to go underneath them and then turn to climb up to meet further along.
Approaching the Fiddle Yard from the Law Junction area (i.e. heading 'North'), the tracks dived down under the Edinburgh line and climbed two levels to reach the raised fiddle yard entrance, near to where the Edinburgh line converged.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”