I've cracked, or I've cracked it.

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Hymirl

Re: I've cracked, or I've cracked it.

Postby Hymirl » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:50 pm

I tip my hat to your space saving skills! I'm not brave enough to start cutting down points...

Very clever though. I like it

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:52 am

Hymirl wrote:I tip my hat to your space saving skills! I'm not brave enough to start cutting down points...
Very clever though. I like it

Thank you.

On chopping points, do remember that here I don't have to worry about preserving electrical continuity: all the locos are battery powered.
The track is dead, not just the frogs!

With track power I've done nothing more than steal a sleeper space's length or two or three per point. It adds up over a ladder of points when space is tight.
At least computer planning software keeps you honest, unlike some of C J Freezer's earlier plans where he could be optimistic, shall we day, especially about curve radii.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:59 pm

They can be shortened and made to work electrically. It helps to have a soldering iron ready. It is impressive to know what can be done with a little know how.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:36 pm

I once utilised a pile of settrack standard points to make the fan for my hidden sidings, it was easy to loose two sleepers from the entry track and one from each of the V rails, at the same time putting bits of rail into the frog to make them live. Closing up the spacing did cause one problem, the tiebars fouled on the adjacent sleepers, so I had to chop bits of the ends and fit the point motors underneath.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”