I've cracked, or I've cracked it.

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Emettman

I've cracked, or I've cracked it.

Postby Emettman » Sat May 26, 2018 11:07 am

Required:
A layout to test and play with my collection of battery R/C OO locos and stock.

Must be small, as my house is.
Quick and easy build, as I am chronically ill, with little stamina.
Still suitable for locos that can't handle 10" curves, while taking advantage of those that can.

Struggling between using a tight end curve and a sector plate, I suddenly realised I could give myself options.
A small layout in three pieces: 5ft x22" (may edge shorter, testing track life size)

triple.jpg
triple.jpg (63.33 KiB) Viewed 496 times

Two terminus stations of different design on 11" wide boards, with a 10" radius end curve board.
Without the curve the two stations fit together in a "V" and the lower station has a working run-round and can operate on its own, while the upper one would need a short plain extension.
Marklin plastic track has a very firm click-fit and short sections of that, which I already have, should provide all the locking I need for a table/floor layout with baseboards of 1" foamboard which is plenty strong enough.

I think it's looking like what I want.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Mountain

Re: I've cracked, or I've cracked it.

Postby Mountain » Sat May 26, 2018 12:48 pm

Nice design. For me, I prefer a continuous run even if it is for just a few locos to negotiate. However, for your requirements, the only thing I'd change is to add a link between the upper and lower sidings in the viewable section. You dont have to do this, but it is what I would do. If its radio control only, you dont need to sort out electrical issues of a run round loop.
Its your plan though and you have your own concepts of where everything should go etc. It looks a good plan for a factory or dock/warehouse setting.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat May 26, 2018 12:56 pm

You could even produce a fourth piece as an alternative to the return curve, to assemble in a straight run, a very flexible design. The body may be ailing but the old ideas box is still fully functional :)
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat May 26, 2018 2:08 pm

Bufferstop wrote:You could even produce a fourth piece as an alternative to the return curve, to assemble in a straight run, a very flexible design. )

Yes, rather than connect the two stations directly a passing loop through station would be nice.
With two operators, that is, otherwise more movement is required of the operator than would meet my ideal!

Point operation will be rod to edge of board, but when the boards are as shown I have (mentally) sketched ideas for both stations to be operated from one side. This will take experimentation. And probably small modern magnets.

Originally the limit was 4 locos (or railcars) but I found a way to push that to 6, and now with cheap compact 2GHZ technology the limit is effectively removed.
(for a track-plan that *needs* 2 locos at most.)

Chris.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat May 26, 2018 2:22 pm

Mountain wrote: for your requirements, the only thing I'd change is to add a link between the upper and lower sidings in the viewable section. You dont have to do this, but it is what I would do. If its radio control only, you dont need to sort out electrical issues of a run round loop.

You are absolutely right, and there is just room to get a diagonal feed between the two stations.
The reason I didn't do that was that to cope with the 10" curve my custom couplings are single-ended, not symmetrical
( at the same time they give delayed action uncoupling) so return-loops and train turntables were compromised "out". If either or both of those were wanted, the 10" curves might have to give to 12" with conventional couplings.

This comes with working close to the limits of what will work, to save space. "Give" on more space and the conflict disappears.

Chris

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Wed May 30, 2018 11:04 pm

OK. Baseboard cut into three, 10" curve laid on end piece and the connections to the other boards set in place.

Options for station design at five points a side are now being considered, some test running having revealed useful information.

All my 0-6-0's (and the one 0-8-0) will cope with the 10" curve, but are appreciably happier on 12.75". (Jouef 325mm)
All will happily negotiate 12.75" radius points, even as a crossover reverse curve.
(My 0-6-0 chassis are Bachmann junior and Lima 08 outside frame.)
I can thus use the tight Jouef points alongside the short Peco Y's.

To cut down on point controls I have decided to give both stations spring-loaded loco run-round crossovers.
My only loco to date with non-driving wheels, an 0-4-2, is perfectly happy going through lightly sprung Jouef points in reverse.
This could be very useful if an intermediate passing station ever appears.

So far so good.

Chris

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed May 30, 2018 11:13 pm

Hi Chris, the Rev Peter Denny built mechanically operated points and signal mechanisms which crossed the joins in a folding baseboard. It was in operation (by one of his son's and some helpers) at Warley last year. The basic design was spring loaded plungers made from dowel rod, I'll take a look see if there's any diagrams in his book, or my old RM back numbers.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu May 31, 2018 9:37 am

Bufferstop wrote: The basic design was spring loaded plungers made from dowel rod, I'll take a look see if there's any diagrams in his book, or my old RM back numbers.

Interesting, and thank you.
I'm hoping that small modern magnets will prove to be simple and effective connectors, or, as second choice, that they could stabilise a simple knuckle.
Now I know I can use spring points I'll only need three.

Chris

Aside: on my garden railway of 11 points, 7 are spring loaded. I only need to control 4.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu May 31, 2018 9:43 am

Bufferstop wrote:Hi Chris, the Rev Peter Denny built mechanically operated points and signal mechanisms which crossed the joins in a folding baseboard. It was in operation (by one of his son's and some helpers) at Warley last year. The basic design was spring loaded plungers made from dowel rod, I'll take a look see if there's any diagrams in his book, or my old RM back numbers.

I have three of Rev Peter Denny's books. I shall look in them also.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu May 31, 2018 11:46 am

Hi Chris. I have found the information and PMd you.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu May 31, 2018 4:11 pm

I've made mechanical levers myself. I use some sort of thin fishing wire for them. I found the wire as quite a few who go fishing leave fishing wire on the ground, usually tangled up.
The micro switches on the top are ready for use to switch the frog polarity. I've used flattened out and drilled code 100 rail for the levers and Π shaped (Positioned the other way up) metal for the base.
For the lever in the relaxed position in one direction, a spring at the point does this. For the other direction metal hooks hold the levers. The hooks are made from paperclips and can be seen near the switches. The levers are sprung in the pivot to allow sideways movement for the lever to slot in the hook. Hope it makes sense.
It does work but maybe a rodding would have been better with points and twine used for the signals.
Attachments
IMG_20171118_165555.jpg

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:44 pm

Track plans finalised, (until something changes) and underlay (2mm foam) laid for one station, with the track all joined up and ready to secure once the point operating mechanisms are ready to install just beneath,

This is the station which will be operable from both sides: one side if independent, the other if in parallel with its partner station.

The track plans are similar but not the same.
To maximise sidings and train length in the space, most points were trimmed to their minimum length. It made enough difference to be worth the effort (look at the loco release crossovers.)
The station boards are 3' 2" on the shorter of their long edges and 3' 6" on the longer one. each 11" wide.

DSC01073.JPG

DSC01074.JPG

Chris.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:46 am

First board now with track fixed down and point control wires (minimal!) in place, including extension to other side of the board.

DSC01077.JPG

DSC01076.JPG

Now to experiment with magnets, to take the wires across to the second board,
and to find the minimum spring tension to let the spring-loaded points operate reliably.

Chris.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:24 pm

Mountain wrote:I've made mechanical levers myself. I use some sort of thin fishing wire for them. I found the wire as quite a few who go fishing leave fishing wire on the ground, usually tangled up.
The micro switches on the top are ready for use to switch the frog polarity. I've used flattened out and drilled code 100 rail for the levers and Π shaped (Positioned the other way up) metal for the base.
For the lever in the relaxed position in one direction, a spring at the point does this. For the other direction metal hooks hold the levers. The hooks are made from paperclips and can be seen near the switches. The levers are sprung in the pivot to allow sideways movement for the lever to slot in the hook. Hope it makes sense.
It does work but maybe a rodding would have been better with points and twine used for the signals.

You have a completely unique, almost eccentric, style Mountain, which I find fascinating and quite refreshing.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:16 pm

Thanks Lysander. I like different and unique things! One day I hope to get the layout working to show others it in use. I dont even know yet if it is all going to work when I wire it up. I hope it does, though I'm prepared for the odd teething trouble. I'm hoping that when I et it all running, it stays running... In other words, that it will be reliable in daily use. Time will tell for this.
I think Emettmans creations are more unique then mine though. :D
Emettman. I like the pointwork. It is interesting. It looks a good plan for shunting back and fore.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”