New member, new layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
BrightonMan

New member, new layout

Postby BrightonMan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:56 pm

Hi all. This is my first post on here. I am just about to start work on a new layout. It will be a imaginary station on the real line that ran between West Croydon and Wimbledon on the Southern Region, called Wandle Park. I have a very small space for the layout, as it will be in one half of a box room - the avaliable space is 7' x 1' plus 2' x 4". The plan is shown in the pic. Due to the very short 'fiddle-yards', the main line will be served by a two coach EMU shuttling back & forth, with short pick-up goods using the yard. In case your wondering what 'Hookers Yard' is, my Great Grandfather was a rag 'n bone man in the Croydon area and this will be my little homage to his old yard!
Wandle park plan.jpg

Emettman

Re: New member, new layout

Postby Emettman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:43 am

Hello and welcome, Brighton man.

That certainly looks a tidy and compact layout The goods yard is very nicely handled.

I'm a little concerned for your goods loco driver, as you have sidings facing both ways but no run-round loop.
This principally affects the lower right (coal?) siding. Without that goods trains going L > R would be happy.
A Rt-handed crossover from near the station building would solve that, and make the goods yard open to goods trains in both directions.

Just thoughts,

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:17 am

Thanks Chris, that is very good point. It would be very difficult to shunt the coal siding! I think that there should be just enough room for a loop cross-over. Another advantage of that which I hadn't thought of before is that goods & passenger trains could pass each other, with the goods waiting in the loop for the passenger to pass, another bit of operating interest.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:28 am

That's better I think. A very short loop but as this layout is going to have very short trains in shouldn't be a problem
Wandle Park Plan 2.jpg

UrbanHermit

Postby UrbanHermit » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:41 pm

A nice tidy, compact layout.

I spent a large part of my life living near there (Sutton) and remember the line well. Wasn't it served by two coach EMUs in real life, or is my memory failing me?

You say 'ran' but of course the tracks are still there as part of the Croydon Tramlink system.
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:54 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum BrightonMan.
Just one thing. Would a second dead end siding on the lower right be possible doubling the off scene storage tracks?
Perhaps using a curved point. The one that doesn't seperate the tracks as much as a set track curved point, keeping them closer together.
Set track spacing is approximately 3 and 3/4 inches from outside sleeper edge to outside sleeper edge. I'm not sure about non set track spacing as I cannot measure it.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:44 pm

Hi and thanks for the comments. Yes, UrbanHermit, the line was operated by 2-coach EMU's. There was also a lot of freight going to and from the various industries on the line (Croydon Power Station in particular), but obviously I can't run these due to lack of space. I have designed the layout with future expansion of the fiddleyards in mind should extra space for it ever become avaliable, one day I might have an N class with 30 coal wagons on trundling through!

Endtoend, I think I will have to start building it and see if it is feasible to fit in another storage siding - I think it may be a bit tight. Nice idea though.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:10 pm

After much deliberation, I have changed the plan considerably. I realised that by raising the height of the baseboards to clear the obstructions in my tiny room I could gain a lot more space. They will now be 50" above floor level, which I know is very high but as I am well over 6' tall it shouldn't be a problem to operate. In order to gain more space in the left-hand fiddleyard, I have done away with the goods yard and now assume that it lies off-scene. I have designed it so that the headshunt extends onto the modelled area so some shunting can take place (both on & off scene, bit off a strange set up I know!). The other fiddleyard will be a short traverser. As scenics are my favourite part, I have planned an urban town scene above the tracks, which will also serve to hide the tight 2nd radius curve. I am very happy with this scheme as it fulfils my aims for the layout, a South London rail scene with a regular EMU passenger service and slow goods traffic trundling though. Now to get building!
Wandle Park.jpg

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:59 pm

Looks interesting. For the fun of it I'd make an out and back design. However, your design looks really good and will give a more realistic feel to it. Love the traverser idea.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:52 pm

Thanks Mountain. Never built a traverser before, so should be interesting

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:17 am

Probably the easiest are pivoted ones. Sliding ones are best made with something like drawer runners. Some of these are ideal as they have bearings and are of metal construction. Smooth in operation. On my layout that I'm building, instead of using a traverser, I'm using an adapted (Due to me modelling in 0-16.5 for this layout) Peco loco lift. I dont have a lot of space to work with and the area which is designated as "Behind the scenes" is a simple passing loop with the main bulk of the layout being an oval of track. On testing, though noting is wired up as yet, the loco lift can take a small loco and two small coaches in 0-16.5.
Going back the the traverser idea, all you really need is track to line up accurately, and is why I suggested a pivoted type of idea where the edge of the gadget has a curved effect for where the track is to align. The advantage to this is simplicity, especially when you only have two tracks to deal with. There is nothing wrong with combining a loco lift with a traverser to save on the need for a large turntable or cassette system.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:30 am

I suppose another possibility would be a cassette, where the whole thing can be lifted out and turned round. I don't think a pivoted one will work due to lack of space, as it will be hard up against the wall, although I agree that this is probably the best method. I shall ponder this a bit more! It's the usual story of trying to fit a quart into a pint pot.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:12 am

A pivoted one can be used if one puts thepivoting point at the far edge so less will conflict. It is the overhangs one has to watch for. For example, if one has a pivot towards the centre like a turntable.
The problem with complete cassettes are that they take some room to turn. They also need some removeable or liftable barriers to stop stock falling out.

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:35 pm

New but I'm not sure if it would fit but a modelling manufacturer has one in thier catalogue. I think it's Faller?
Yes I found it and it's definatly Faller
Page 27 - http://www.gaugemaster.com/news/pdfs/Fa ... ms2018.pdf - Segment turntable with servo
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:19 am

Hi all. Another slight change to the plan. I have moved the pointwork further round the corner, so I can use Streamline medium rad points rather than the setrack curved ones. I have also moved the platform to the other side of the track, which I think will look better. The platform will now be accessed by a flight of stairs coming down from the road above, with a small station building actually on the platform. This is the updated plan, along with a plan of the town area. This will be my last post in this thread as I have now started building the baseboards, so I think it's time to move up to the 'under construction' section!
AAA Wandle Park.jpg
Wandle Park Town Plan Park Version Extended BACKUP.jpg

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”