Lembras's layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Lembras

Lembras's layout

Postby Lembras » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:56 am

Hello all and one,
this my project for my very simple, basic and small (1.35m x 1.00m) layout. I slightly modified a plan (inverted loop) found right here: http://www.freetrackplans.com/Home.php

HORNBY 402  135 X 110.jpg

All your advices are welcome !
Regards,
Chris

Mountain

Re: Lembras's layout

Postby Mountain » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:59 am

It is interesting. It will work, but would it be a good idea to have sidings? Instead of one of the R606 you can use a right hand point and run a siding from that.
See below ↓

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:07 am

Hmmm - First radius curves will restrict what you can run, general advice is to avoid using 1st radius unless you are happy with the smallest locomotives. Agree with Mountain that a siding (or two) would improve operational interest, as it is it would just be a case of watching the train go round (maybe that is what you want).

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:43 am

I had a play with obtaining a small looped 8 when I was getting myself familiar with Anyrail.

I arrived at this for compact and smooth.

loop8.jpg

There are two sections of R2 curve on the outer ring where a point (or 2 ) could be added, though the board would need to be extended vertically
One point could let two trains operate alternately, if the mainline is split into three sections with simple on/off switches, or without that is using DCC locos.

I've just had a edit, and I got an actual passing loop with 2' 6" of island platform into 44" square.
Drop 1 point and you'd have a train length siding and room for a station building in one corner.

loop82.jpg
loop82.jpg (149.9 KiB) Viewed 406 times

Just thoughts,

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Lembras

Postby Lembras » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:12 pm

Thank you very much for all your answers gentlemen. Very appreciate. A few minutes ago, I ordered all my Hornby track.
Now I'm waiting for my very sexy postwoman :D
See you soon in the "Personal Layouts - Under Construction" subforum: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52629
Regards,
Chris

Lembras

Postby Lembras » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:02 am

But as always I have another track plan in mind. A little bit more ambitious. It's a 54" x 54" layout.

HORNBY PLAN B.jpg
Last edited by Lembras on Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Chris

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:04 am

Curved diamond crossings. Nice. Those will need to be scratchbuilt with copperclad sleepers, or made from track kits if they are still made for code 100 rails?
I'm not aware of a commercially available curved diamond crossing.
Talking about commercially available interesting point and crossing formations, Lima used to make some amazing pointwork available in their catalogues but it never reached the UK. Maybe some got to France? It is a shame we never had it here as the angles and point formations were the answer to many a 00 gauge layout trying to replicate the real thing. I think I saw them in a 1992 Lima catalogue, but like many other things in the catalogue, only a handful of the products ever reached the UK.
See below ↓

Lembras

Postby Lembras » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:28 pm

Oops ! My mistake. It's a two tracks bridge and not a curved diamond crossing. :oops:
Regards,
Chris

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:43 pm

Ah. That makes more sense, but there will be steep gradients so dont expect to pull anything more then three or four wagons with a little shunter. You could use a rack railway... :lol:
See below ↓

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:39 pm

I ended up similarly.
double 8.jpg
double 8.jpg (171.22 KiB) Viewed 305 times

As mine stands, with a minimum clearance at the bridge the SECOND steepest gradien can give 1:35.
The trick is to make the steepest grade downhill.
Here for left-hand running the grey bridge section should be at the high point, as shown.
(The UK normal, but see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-track_railway#/media/File:European_railtrafficregions.png )

For right-hand running the grey section should be *underneath*, forming the lowest point of the layout.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”