Mumbles 009 Narrow Gauge Musings

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
mumbles

Mumbles 009 Narrow Gauge Musings

Postby mumbles » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:44 pm

As it is something I've been planning for a long time and I would like to make at some point as a side project to standard gauge modelling, I thought Id start a thread to see where it takes me, with some back ground for context.

As discussed on Dave's thread, some years ago there was a fantastic winter scene competition on here and I built a working micro 009. This was subsequently sold but I kept all the stock and have long hankered to make another to keep and play with.

My model was of Santa's factory, with working sliding doors, a mine, lights and rod controlled points. I took inspiration for the factory from Scandinavian fish warehouses, even down to the tile pattern used and paint scheme.

The finished winter scene was snowed on with talc and populated with Santa and reindeer and a scratch built sleigh!

ng64.jpg

ng63.jpg

ng66.jpg

ng69.jpg

mumbles

Re: Mumbles 009 Narrow Gauge Musings

Postby mumbles » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:45 pm

More pics

ng61.jpg

ng62.jpg

ng60.jpg

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:49 pm

To sell, obviously the talc was hoovered up, but it also had a touch up of the scenics, the building was repainted and away she went to another hopefully happy owner

3.JPG

9.JPG

2 (1).JPG

16.JPG

12.JPG

To continue...

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:53 pm

Which leaves me with a collection of wagons, a small loco and a head full of ideas!!

PSX_20171215_205200.jpg

I'll come back to ideas and thoughts a bit later.

Michael

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:14 pm

I used to have some of those little waggons. :) Fun things. I also had the old shop plastic cases they came in for display.
Love the layout you had.
I have often thought that 009 would be ideal to model an ROF factory like they had at Pembrey. Remains of lines and various tunnels can still be seen there today.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:27 pm

Mountain wrote:I used to have some of those little waggons. :) Fun things. I also had the old shop plastic cases they came in for display.
Love the layout you had.
I have often thought that 009 would be ideal to model an ROF factory like they had at Pembrey. Remains of lines and various tunnels can still be seen there today.

Funnily enough, military NG is something that has crossed my mind. The local (ish) ranges at Lydd had a small NG railway. I think Dave has been there? The ranges that is

I started making my own storage, this was as far as I got!

PSX_20171215_212234.jpg

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:46 pm

Just realised I've got a vid on YouTube of construction pics

https://youtu.be/_k5I4PePV28

And one of my most viewed videos on YouTube showing how much operational interest it had.. I think this helped the sale as the listing on eBay included videos and the above pictures

https://youtu.be/NL_CMDrgHSA

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:07 pm

All of which leads me to ideas/what i want:

A loop, I get a lot of satisfaction from just watching train a go round

But still micro, fit on coffee table size, portable and storable.. An actual coffee table layout has crossed my mind too!!

Most likely freelance to utilise my creative side, but with off scene area to help add a sense of 'realism' to the roundy roundy

Multiple industry/workings to utilise my stock, after all that's what most NG layouts were built for. Not averse to passenger but i have no passenger stock so would only be a small halt type thing maybe?

I know its a bit cliche, but a dock scene would be fun to model, or river.. Just water really!

Bridges, tunnels and stuff.. I love making them!

Open frame to enable a varying height of landscape

Rod Point control again I think.. It was fun to engineer and Im also inspired by how Mountain has made his point control for Llwyndrissi Halt. Although i wont go that far, I love the engineering so may investigate other methods

Track: undecided.. Most likely off the shelf

Control will be Gaugemaster D, so potentially I can have insulted sections and switches etc for if i ever get another loco enabling a train bumbling round while I shunt

Shunting: crossed my mind to incorporate a shunting puzzle type track plan within the industry

Building would be scratch built, the odd kit? Bits from my box of bits that would crossover from standard gauge that wont be used there

Low (ish) cost. biggest outlay would be track

Wow.. Now I've put it all down like that it seems a lot of 'wants'!!!

Open to thoughts, comments and suggestions!!

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:00 pm

eBay doesn't seem to have any shortage of glass-topped coffee tables, but the best prices are clearly for those marked "collect in person" so local luck may be required.

Oval seems to offer a good potential for usable space in reasonable size.
This caught my eye, as "as small as confortable".
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oval-wood-coffee-table-with-glass-top-and-wicker-shelf/142622833206?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49569%26meid%3D05db82c19c874f8dabc2d4e3d33b4c1b%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D182958752108&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

So 2ft by 3ft giving an oval with a touch of 9" at the tips but otherwise 11" of better.
There would be room for a passing loop and a siding or two.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:06 pm

Emettman wrote:eBay doesn't seem to have any shortage of glass-topped coffee tables, but the best prices are clearly for those marked "collect in person" so local luck may be required.

Oval seems to offer a good potential for usable space in reasonable size.
This caught my eye, as "as small as confortable".
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oval-wood-coffee-table-with-glass-top-and-wicker-shelf/142622833206?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49569%26meid%3D05db82c19c874f8dabc2d4e3d33b4c1b%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D182958752108&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

So 2ft by 3ft giving an oval with a touch of 9" at the tips but otherwise 11" of better.
There would be room for a passing loop and a siding or two.

Chris

Food for though! Id thought about making the whole thing as it goes, bit that would mean buying glass which wouldn't be cheap I'm sure

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:56 am

Something dock like and unusual and yet some sort of MOD type so one can include storage tunnels etc... How about a submarine docking station which would have a railway and it would have nearby storage caverns which would include overhead cranes (Hanging off an overhead beam) in the tunnels along with loading platforms?
http://r.duckduckgo.com/l/?kh=-1&uddg=h ... ndex.shtml

Steam locos were used in areas where explosives were present but they needed to be converted to burn oil or kerosene or a liquid. (Tar was tried at one point) so the flame was not exposed, and the chimneys had spark arresters. Some spark arresters were of the "Neath" type which were at the base of the chimney and were less visible from view.
The base where the link is (Trecwn depot) was about two thirds of the depot, the other third was actually by the sea at Neyland (Or was it Milford Haven? Can't remember!). It served ships by storing mines. The main line in was still in use when I worked the railways from 1998, though as the years passed, by the time I finished working on the railways almost a decade later the siding from the main line was overgrown. (It wasn't when I started).
Both this depot and the continuation of the depot a good few miles away from here had their own railway systems.

Locally there have been tales of the missing steam locos that dissapered from records when dieselization came which included most of the Granges and a few 9F's along with others totalling to 118 locos (If I remember correctly.. The article came out in a magazine in the late 1970's to early '80's...) Well, the branch line to Neyland from Johnston was taken up under beaching and the track disposed of only to have the entire branch relayed a couple of years later where some traffic had passed (No one knows what it was) which one assumes went to the caverns at Neyland and the line was then shut again and the track was removed. This was at the time when the locomotives went missing from the records.
I remember in the article one traincrew who were taking lines of steam locos to be scrapped were held outside a signalbox. They were instructed to go home and had full pay. A new trancrew took over the train from there and they never saw what happened to the locos. The new traincrew were unusual in that the traincrew who had worked the train had never met them before or since which is almost impossible for a line with a small local depot where even visiting depots all staff were known.
This adds some mystery to the concept. :)
I can't remember if the article was in the Railway Modeller, the Model Railway Constructor or Model Railways (Two of which are magazines no longer in production). I dont think I saw it in the RM.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:00 am

Whatever you decide to do mumbles, I for one will look forward to it. I've never seen your competition piece before, it really is quite stunning, I must take a look at that video.

The only worry I have is that between you, PNP and Mountain all raving about narrow gauge it's going to make me want to have a go at it and I need that distraction like a hole in the head! :roll:

Paul

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:07 am

That little layout looks fantastic - you could have hidden a multitude of sins under all that talc, but you didn't! Nicely ballasted, paved and grassed 8) And your second video in particular was superb - and I know what you mean about helping to sell it - I once attached a simple video of a loco on an ebay advert (it was just going up and down on my programming track) but bidding went extremely well and I'm sure that video helped a lot :D. I am still wondering whether to sell my 'table football' layout to provide both space and funds for my next venture - I already some videos of it so will give this more thought . . .

As for your next 009 layout - I am sure with 9" curves you can manage a circuit in a very small space - and not a problem for short wheelbase locos. How about a canal scene? A simple siding with warehouse, narrow boats, hump-backed bridge and even a lock, would provide great scenic interest . . . ?

P.S. @carnehan: go on! You know you want to!!!

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:54 am

mumbles wrote:
Food for though! Id thought about making the whole thing as it goes, bit that would mean buying glass which wouldn't be cheap I'm sure

I did that once, as I wanted a side view as well as a top one.
The glass wasn't too much trouble or impossibly expensive to have custom cut and toughened, but designing and building a framework that looked OK yet was strong enough, that was more work,

Going that way again I'd at least cast my eye over available tables before striking out on a custom build.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:49 am

Thanks all.

Interesting stuff Mountain, is that linked to an urban legend/myth I think I've heard that steam trains were stored in the event of a nuclear war, where diesel and electric would be affected but coal still available? Or have i imagines that tale?

PNP.. A canal is a good idea as it goes, Im quite a fan of canals and would tick a lot of boxes.

Emmetman, as much as a coffee table layout would be a lot of fun to make I think its maybe just straying into fantasy rather than a realistic build.

Carnehan.. Go on you know it makes sense!!!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”