Another Loft Layout, Starts and Ideas

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Sails

Another Loft Layout, Starts and Ideas

Postby Sails » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:15 pm

All,

The house rennovation may not be finished but theres always time to consider the future loft layout. The photo of the loft shows it in its unfinished state but you can get an idea of the space (the visible part anyway). I have plenty of length but width is my main restriction. I can Iget a 3rd radius in and then I have at least one loop. I have a few ideas on what I would like to model and have in terms of stations and goods, but I'm not yet decided and happy to play around with SCARM and take inspeiriation from real life as well as some of the track layouts Ive taken note of in modellers magazines. For the base board I will cut into the side so I have good access to the opposoite that will be against the roof.

It will be a dcc electrofrog layout (that will be fun wiring), I dont want to overcrowd the layout with track for the sake of having another siding, scenery will be minimal and used as a break. Lets see how it goes anyway.
Happy to hear any thoughts from anyone, no doubt I will be asking millions of questions in the coming months

Thanks,

Mark
Attachments
Draft.JPG
IMG_5220.JPG

mumbles

Re: Another Loft Layout, Starts and Ideas

Postby mumbles » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:25 pm

Would it not make sense to have it run round the outside so you stand in the middle with the most head room?

Looks a great space!!!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:37 pm

Depending where loft access is, there are many options but these two stand out. The first is similar to your design but the loops are on boards that take the width of the attic at the ends or there is the traditional "Right round the edges" approach which is good if the attic access is coming up from the centre. Be aware of the importance of a way to prevent one falling down the hatch!
Attachments
IMG_20171024_213254.jpg
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Sails

Postby Sails » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:49 pm

A bit more detail on the space available, in the sketch below the lines at the top show te direction the stairs up to the loft are located (Also drew in windows you can see in photo), a good 1.5 metres from end of expected baseboard. Total width I have to work with, allow a decent height of baseboard is 1.6 metres so having a centre control area is very possible and give me more width. But I would need to build in a swing hatch and was not that keen on that approach. The elongated squished 8 is waht I was looking at at the moment. But everything is open for review..
Attachments
Draftr.jpg

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:01 pm

As long as the layout does not obscure the access point. The ideal is for the access to come up and the layout to go around where it comes up, as it allows a clear entry and exit point.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:02 pm

I really like being in the middle of a layout with trains running all round. My loft was an inverted figure 8 all round a centre area. My first garage layout had a wheeled section for the door. At present i just duck under! Although that is temporary as i expect ill try to make a moveable section somehow, just not sure? There are lots of ways and its well worth the effort.. Plus lots of fun learning how or finding your own solution!!

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:32 am

Mountain wrote:As long as the layout does not obscure the access point. The ideal is for the access to come up and the layout to go around where it comes up, as it allows a clear entry and exit point.

But take adequate steps to ensure it is not a fall through point!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:47 am

Ex-Pat wrote:
Mountain wrote:As long as the layout does not obscure the access point. The ideal is for the access to come up and the layout to go around where it comes up, as it allows a clear entry and exit point.

But take adequate steps to ensure it is not a fall through point!

Yes. Some sort of door would help. A neighbour broke her arm about 20 years ago as they had an attic bedroom and she fell down while sleepwalking. They moved their bedroom downstairs after that!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”