Kavster's Loft Layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
End2end

Re: Kavster's Loft Layout

Postby End2end » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:08 pm

Sorry sorry. I just realised something else.

If you implement idea number 4, you can already change tracks down there so there no need for the points at 2 in my last post that do basically the same thing.
This means you can move the points at 3 (which change tracks the opposite way from idea 4) to 2's NEW higher position I marked.

This makes a much longer passing loop for longer trains and also has the benefit of trains not hitting the platforms as they swing out taking the bends of the "station sited" passing loop if it's used.
And also less points to buy. :D

Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:12 pm

Quick sketch to give you an ides of what i mean about being able to enter and leave the station from the bays

Hopefully it shows how trains coming from the top can get to any bay, but also leave back the way they came. I've added an extra good siding too and removed the unneeded platform , then goods arriving from the north can use that before reversing and not interrupting passenger services.

Hopefully helps you a little with ideas for your plan?

PSX_20171118_150805.jpg

Kavster

Postby Kavster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:06 pm

Ok, I think I may have confused myself with trying to impliment both ideas...
Also, i've uploaded a zoomed in area of the station freight area, as I can't see what bits you're suggesting to change with whats already there.

I've made some changes based on what End2end has put up. I'm trying to put in mumbles ideas, and think I kind of have. But, I'm sure i've got it all confused somewhere.

At this time I havent made any changes to the freight area, as I'm waiting for both your thoughts after seeing the zoomed in version.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:17 pm

I think the entrance to the station would be better operated with a crossover to each bay from the mainline, i've ammended your plan to show you where I mean

Freight_Station_area v2.jpg

Kavster

Postby Kavster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Right I think I get what you mean now...

I'd just been trying ot recreate my interpretation of your drawing, which came out like this...but I think I know what you mean now.

Standby and i'll quickly make some changes again haha :lol:

Kavster

Postby Kavster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:50 pm

Ok, think I've got it now...both your ideas combined into one.

Please tell me if I've got it wrong...again haha!

Theres an overall view and a close up of the station area which should help...

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:53 pm

looks spot on.. is Sl-94 a double or single slip? It would need to at least be a single slip

Kavster

Postby Kavster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:04 pm

Technically its just a crossing as a placeholder.

I will want a double slip. BUT, I dont think they make an electrofrog one in Code 100.
I can only find it in Code 75.

There is an insulfrog code 100 SL-90. But there doesnt appear to be a SL-E90 in existance...puzzled.
That being said, I dont even think there is a single slip Electrofrog either...

Kavster

Postby Kavster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:21 pm

I've just found SL-90 in my software haha...replaced them all on the plan.

That beign said. I do like this design. But I am concerned about not being able to have an electrofrog double slip. A search of Google shows Peco dont make one, and dont intend to for code 100. Annoying.

I'll play around with this and see if there is any other way of doing this without slips.
I dont think I can get it as neat and effective as it is now though, so...i'm stuck between a rock and a hard place...

3x Insulfrog double slips, causing potential stops and DCC problems (although Google also shows there is a potential way to hack the point to convert to DCC, but unsure of the specifics of this yet)
or
A different design that my not be as effective with more points...

:? :? :?

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:46 pm

That elimnates the need for extra platforms, 2 taking the four tracks. :)
Just two observations. The pair of points on the lowest straight tracks need to be the other way round to complete the passing loop through the station.
Otherwise you can only go from one track to another not vice versa / back again.
And 2 of the four tracks off the green double slip / crossover on the last diagram look quite twisted. Are you sure that a train will go round them?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:53 pm

Nope sorry one more! :lol:
I wonder if by removing that ST-220 curve before the 3 way point into the freight sidings you could possibly make the sidings even longer bending them instead of bending the track before the 3 way.
Maybe even splaying them out from the 3 way to give even more length but straight instead of curved to fit unloading docks / buildings.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Kavster

Postby Kavster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:44 pm

Yes, I have to admit I do like the way it looks and functions. I've just compared the latest version to the first version, and it looks much neater and efficient. I think the first version I did just looked like I had vomitted track onto the baseboard and made shapes haha :lol:

And don't be silly, please I want all the points and faults you can see! I'm grateful for them!

Your first point is well noted. I took out the points on the top two tracks as they didnt seem neccesary. So, forgot to change the bottoms ones. Thats being done now!
And yes, in terms of those two extreme bendy tracks. I slapped them in for the design layout. In reality, I'll adjust it with the flexi track and make sure it all runs well.

And in terms of the ST-220 curve. I think thats also a good idea. I was planning on adapting the sidings to the scenery anyway, but moving them back by removing the ST-220 does give me more freedom!

Thanks again for all your input, both yourself and mumbles! It's greatly appreciated.
I'll adapt the small changes on the plan and put it up once I can.

Kavster

Postby Kavster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:04 pm

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:17 pm

This track planning is addictive. :lol:
So here's some more alongside the new plan...

Add a second set of points on the bottom right of the layouts twin tracks so trains from the docks (going clockwise) can change tracks to the outer track at the start(ish) of the long straight and thus going the correct way on the correct track for left hand prototypical running.
They would be the opposite to the other pair on the bottom tracks and would face this way /.
This may also be useful to connect the docks locally to the outer track rather than running round half the layout to get to the docks on the wrong track going the wrong way round prototypcally speaking.

Adding another set of points to the top tracks at the right hand side before the curves facing like this \ would also help get trains going clockwise into the dock area as at the moment they can't.

At the freight yard why not just run the far right siding (of the 3) directly straight off the 3 way point and the other 2 parallel as they are.
This will give you a single lone siding that's longer than the parallel 2, laid over the triangular corner baseboard.
Might make a good shunting opportunity? :)

Even more, turning that new single siding (from the 3 way point) into a passing loop so wagons can be pulled in, loco released and run around but then reverse further back to then collect other wagons from the other 2 sidings, run back into the single siding, collect the other wagons and off you go!
MUCH MORE shunting ability.! :mrgreen:

At the station could you make the shorter platform longer too, reaching / ending at the curves? And the bay track to the same length?
As one side is a bay platform do you know what length of train can fit there? A 2 car or 3 car DMU for example?
As, if the bay track and platform is long enough it gives more scope for different rolling stock to use it. :)
Thanks
End2end
Last edited by End2end on Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:24 am

Looking at the dock area it just doesn't seem to flow to me. There's no way to get from the furthest right track into the dock area.
Would there be any chance to add small diagonal boards on the other (right hand) side of the layout to add points into the docks from the top and bottom of the layout.
I flipped your design on it's side to show what I mean.

You can see in red I've added the 2 sets of points mentioned in my last post.
And in black are the proposed new points into the dock scene and a single " general idea" track.

I've completely removed all the tracks for the docks (except for the "general idea" track) because I think they will need to be resdesigned but your wanting a scenic break still holds fast.
FINAL_Design5EDIT.jpg

A couple of things I feel I must point out is that you need to make sure the curves off the points into/out of the dock scene are greater than 1st radius otherwise loco's that can move into the dock area will be limited.
And make sure you can get behind the scenic break to clean those, now only straight tracks.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”