Shorting II - The Plan

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Dragonfly

Shorting II - The Plan

Postby Dragonfly » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:29 pm

Evening all,

So in what I hope will be the first layout I actually make decent progress on, I've resurrected an old plan and started work on it's Mk 2 version.

The boards are already done and up (to be documentaried in a 'in progress' thread later), and a number of packs of wire, switches, LEDs, control panel boxes are all wending their way to my address at this moment.

But what this thread is for is to ask advice on the plan itself. I've made a number of changes from the old Mk1 plan, including changing from Set-track to Electro-frog Streamline points, and straightened the plan out to take full advantage of the 4 metre length of space I have available.

So, 4 boards, each 1000mm x 600mm, first is a fiddle yard (casettes is the plan, except for the branch which will probably be two sidings as shown. Then the 'main' and 'branch' appear (main from a road bridge, branch from a tunnel portal a little further along), merge together, a couple of exchange sidings in front and a warehouse with sidings behind, small engine shed, followed by a single platform terminus station with a small goods yard/shed behind. Branch line is primarily industrial, mostly worked by a Peckett and one of Hatton's recently announced Barclay tanks.

Advice very much welcome, please. Thoughts to make it more prototypical, especially, as I'm sure there's some "this would never happen" in there. Ideas about signalling would be useful too, as at the moment all I have planned is one signal each way on the main and one each way on the branch.

Era is to be anywhere from Big Four to BR steam. Location, I would like to keep generic (as I'll be running everything from an LSWR push-pull set to a J15 on it, as per Rule 1), so buildings and signs will either be generic or swappable.

Oh and the bay is more of a loading platform than a true bay (although it could hold a single-car railcar).

Untitled1500.jpg
=Doug
| Dragonfly | Current projects: Kidneston (00) / Clatter (N) / Much Oakley (N) / Workbench |

Emettman

Re: Shorting II - The Plan

Postby Emettman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:05 pm

Nothing major, but I might want the crossover/runround by the goods shed to have the opposite handedness.
This gives the good shed road more capacity, while the run-round road could then have the engine shed at the end of it, giving a nice "before backscene" building.
The existing loco shed road could be lengthened to a good coal road, tight up against the two exchange sidings as they don't need cart access.

Just thinking,
Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Dragonfly

Re: Shorting II - The Plan

Postby Dragonfly » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:49 am

I'll look into that, thanks.

The logic behind that particular bit, is that it's not a run-round loop as such, but an aid to making shunting a bit more interesting. Basically, the loop as it is forms a kind of "in road - out road" setup, alleviating the need to remove wagons that are waiting to go into the shed, to extract the ones already inside. These are then moved to the siding behind the goods shed.

Although unusual, I have certainly seen one station plan with this setup, but obviously I didn't save it (or note which book it was in), and so I can't provide a source. Typical.

Certainly looking to develop the engine shed part a bit (not too much, it is a BLT after all), so will see what can be done there. It could go next to/behind the goods shed, though... I'll see what I can make fit.

Oh and for the right-hand end, I was thinking a small road with buildings on the other side, and a turnoff into the station yard.
=Doug
| Dragonfly | Current projects: Kidneston (00) / Clatter (N) / Much Oakley (N) / Workbench |

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”