Coventry (GWR) loft layout in 00

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
pete12345

Coventry (GWR) loft layout in 00

Postby pete12345 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:14 pm

I'm working on plans for a loft layout, having started boarding and gained an idea of the space I have up there. The loft is a modern construction with "W" roof trusses, but there's space between the spans of the trusses which will be suitable for a 'round the wall' type of layout. The space is something like 14'6" x 11'0".

The plan is for an imagined spur off the GWR main line from Warwick, to a Minories-style terminus somewhere in the east of Coventry. Maybe it was to allow a competing route to the LMS in the area for services to London/Birmingham as well as elsewhere on the GWR network. For whatever reason, I envisage it lasted into BR days, primarily as part of the Western Region, but with some Midland traffic too.

Looking to build a double track around the edges of the space, with the terminus inboard of this along one of the long sides (with the main lines running hidden behind.) The lines from the terminus will run parallel with the mains for a while along a shorter side, then join at a double junction. Hopefully I can find room for a small MPD (on the edge of the city somewhere) for light-engine movements (and practically, somewhere to keep locos 'on-scene') as well as the fiddle yard to give trains somewhere to go. It's quite a bit to fit into the space, but should give a decent passenger layout- something I've never really done before.

Stock will be a mixture of older stuff, mostly GWR but with a couple of LMS interlopers and some BR standardised stock. Not to say a time-travelling HST from the late '90s won't make an appearance too when I feel like it :lol:
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

pete12345

Re: Coventry (GWR) loft layout in 00

Postby pete12345 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:04 am

At last, the loft is boarded, lighting installed, access improved with a fold-down ladder, and construction is ready to begin. Permanent mains power can wait- so for now a 4-way extension lead will suffice.

The plan is to lay baseboards of roughly 4×2 or thereabouts between the rafters on one side of the loft, and in front of them on the other. Similar board units on either side complete the loop. It's been a while since I built baseboards- anything better than 3×1 timber with a 9mm plywood top?

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Hi - My layout is also built in a low modern loft with "W" timbers, I found that between the rafters a 2" x 1" was sufficient, but used more substantial timbers for the span between the rafters at each end, here I used 4" x 1" timber, think that you should be fine with 4' x 2' baseboards, I used chipboard that size as I couldn't get anything bigger through the trapdoor, but I now reckon ply would be better., still I have had no warpage problems and the layout has now been there for 12 years.

Best of luck with your project, just remember 14 x 10 is a big area to fill, and as I always advise, start with small projects and build up from there.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:55 pm

Good luck with the build Pete. On the subject of mains power, the trailing lead with a four way strip does have one redeeming feature, it makes it very hard to close the loft and leave the power on. If you have it permanently wired later it would be worth having an isolating switch with an indicator light somewhere below the loft hatch. No excuse for wasting power with a light left on, or worse a forgotten soldering iron smouldering away!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:12 pm

I have a permanently-wired light now with a switch by the hatch, but good point about the mains sockets- with a trailing lead it's impossible to forget it and shut the hatch with power still on. There's a socket right by the hatch on the floor below so reasonably convenient.

Planning to use peco code 75 plain track with slightly respaced sleepers. Some of my stock is from the late 1980s/early 90s so need to check with flange depths etc. Points will be built from marcway soldered kits as this seems the most cost-effective option.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:27 pm

Your stock should be ok on code 75, just be careful about back to back settings. I've run an original Tri-ang dock shunter along plain code 75 track without it striking the sleepers or rail fixings, the point work was a different story. Late 70s HSTs required the wheels pushing out, probably no more than 0.5mm to run ok through code 75 points.

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:39 pm

This is my thinking behind using soldered points as there's some flexibility in the flangeway geometry, which should allow for older stock to be run. In the fiddle yard I'll probably use up some older code 100 stuff I have from a previous build.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:22 am

It's the flangeways that are the deciding factor. I've just acquired some bound volumes of the Railway Modeller from the mid 50s. Every manufacturer had different standards Trix was the worst. What comes out is that you can work around anything except over thick flanges. Be careful adjusting check rails. There's a danger of very fine wheels going wrong at the frog. The soldered pointwork is a good idea, you can always put it back to standard and rewheel offenders later. Not much chance of changing your mind if you filed out a plastic one.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”