Loch Terry - OO 8x8 layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
barney121e

Loch Terry - OO 8x8 layout

Postby barney121e » Mon May 08, 2017 1:57 pm

Hi all

Well after lots of thinking I have decided to go with a plan from an old CJ Freezer book. Just something about it appeals to me and feel this is best way to go. I am sure it could be improved in some way, so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. My main puzzle is what to use the sidings at '1 and 2' on the plan for.

buchan2.png
buchan2.png (98.58 KiB) Viewed 1315 times

Will post a history for the line once I have finalised the factory use, in the original plan it is a distillery, but was thinking something like a bakery or similar.

Dave

Dragonfly

Re: Loch Terry - OO 8x8 layout

Postby Dragonfly » Mon May 08, 2017 9:01 pm

My number one concern with this plan is the reach from the operating well to the lower edge. 4'... it's just not possible. 3' is a stretch, but just doable. I would suggest making the operating well bigger ('4 x '3, at least) and sacrificing a bit of the space at the bottom.
=Doug
| Dragonfly | Current projects: Kidneston (00) / Clatter (N) / Much Oakley (N) / Workbench |

barney121e

Postby barney121e » Mon May 08, 2017 9:22 pm

Dragonfly wrote:My number one concern with this plan is the reach from the operating well to the lower edge. 4'... it's just not possible. 3' is a stretch, but just doable. I would suggest making the operating well bigger ('4 x '3, at least) and sacrificing a bit of the space at the bottom.

The reach is not a problem as I have easy access to both sides of the 4ft area. I noticed some of the curves are 2nd radius, and imagine that bigger is better so will play with 3rd and 4th radius.

barney121e

Postby barney121e » Tue May 09, 2017 12:12 pm

As my plan has a Scottish feel to it, another question is what colour ballast to use? As the layout is a run what I like layout it isn't era specific but don't want it to look to out of place. Would grey or pink be better? Also what size ballast, I have read n gauge ballast is better for OO, is that right?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

barney121e

Postby barney121e » Tue May 09, 2017 2:01 pm

Have done a slight adjustment with some of the curves, now 4th radius into station area and 3rd radius in bottom left and right corners, seems to help with the flow. Added a bit more water to explain the scene.

Can fiddle yard area be improved at all?

buchan3.png
buchan3.png (112.51 KiB) Viewed 1261 times

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue May 09, 2017 6:32 pm

My take on using the extra space, barney:

A siding or two can clearly be lost on the main station if that is felt too complex, but I did that to show what can be put in place,
*with all tracks on the layout R4 or wider*
If R3 is allowed the station can be made a bit more compact, and there is more choice as to where the sidings go.

What have I done?
In the original, trains from the terminus had to go round the continuous run to arrive at the fiddle yard.
Now, they can do that OR take a direct route to the fiddle yard.
The continuous run now goes *behind* the fiddle yard.
This means trains running the oval can do so independently of the fiddle yard and more conveniently away from it.

In the fiddle yard the light blue will be the loco release road unless lifting locos is acceptable, in which case plain sidings will serve.
A sector plate would save even more points.

Where the circuit gets close to the station there is a new option: there is room to make this oval rise until at that corner it is 3" high, so you have a viaduct in the corner allowing for the proximity, and giving room for arches or a girder bridge to give nice road access underneath to the station and goods yard.
The diamond allows shunting of the factory siding/sidings without fouling the bay road or dock siding.
Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

barney121e

Postby barney121e » Tue May 09, 2017 8:11 pm

Hi Chris

Thanks for the plan but I feel I loose the loch and village area with it, and probably a little too much track for the ficticious area I had in mind. I do like the fiddle yard idea and the line going straight to it, will have a think to see if I can get it to work somehow in original plan.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue May 09, 2017 10:34 pm

barney121e wrote:Hi Chris

Thanks for the plan but I feel I loose the loch and village area with it, and probably a little too much track for the ficticious area I had in mind. I do like the fiddle yard idea and the line going straight to it, will have a think to see if I can get it to work somehow in original plan.

You've some R3 and even a bit of R2 there, which does let you pull the line to the terminus round more tightly.
Losing 2 or 3 sidings is no problem!

There you are: trimmed, and tightened by using some R3 curves (no R2)

Chris

barney121e

Postby barney121e » Wed May 10, 2017 7:20 pm

What points did you use as I have medium points and cant make plan work.

How about I add a passing station bottom left to break the run from the station to the original fiddle yard?

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Wed May 10, 2017 8:03 pm

These are all the shorter versions SL-E91, 92,er versions And one Lt curved E-87.
One of the two points at the terminus loco run-round could probably do better as a Y.
With rad 3 & 4 curves being used I'd tend to use the smaller points I think they show up less against the curves, unless there are places the size up really want to go.
(That's only a personal preference.)

A simple passing station lower left would allow two trains on the oval while still having the Station to fiddle yard route open. or be a nice passing place (and token hand-over) for trains taking the longer route.
A siding or two would increase variety for a goods train, but this all eats up space that could otherwise be village.
If the oval was to be raised at bottom right, to separate it vertically from the terminus, adding a station bottom left would limit the degree to which that could be done.
Or a long passing loop could be hidden, preserving the operation capacity and the village space, but not the visual effect of a station.
(lucky village with two! Many only got one station, a mile or three away.)

Choices, choices. All yours.

Chris

barney121e

Postby barney121e » Wed May 10, 2017 9:46 pm

Thanks Chris

Yes, a few choices to make. Got a station or two in mind for the terminus, got plans for one (Carrbridge Station) and looking to see if I can find any for other option, Thurso Station.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Wed May 10, 2017 10:14 pm

For parts of Scotland the simple island platform through station was iconic.
And for the modeller, space saving.

Chris

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed May 10, 2017 11:18 pm

Hi - sticking with the Scottish theme. You could convert your fiddle yard to a scenic fiddle yard. Basically a terminus where non prototype operations and handling are allowed but still treated scenically. A distillery would be a good subject coal and grain brought in from a quay at the main station, sealed vans sent out, workers passenger trains in and out, and if it's present day Pullman specials carrying tourists on the Whisky Trail.
Just a thought.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Thu May 11, 2017 11:22 am

For the fiddle yard, personally I'd do something like this:

fdl1.jpg
fdl1.jpg (65.9 KiB) Viewed 1160 times

Obviously there are compromises to be made. You'd be making more efficient use of the space, but there's no runround facility, so each train would need to alternate locos each time. Once the train is taken out, the loco runs back into the loco sidings on the left. Effectively there's storage for 9 locos and 5 trains there (absolutely full, 14 locos and 5 trains, but you wouldn't reach that in normal operation).
=Doug
| Dragonfly | Current projects: Kidneston (00) / Clatter (N) / Much Oakley (N) / Workbench |

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu May 11, 2017 12:22 pm

Dragonfly wrote:For the fiddle yard, personally I'd do something like this:

I like that variation: effectively a terminus worked with multiple pilot engines.

As ever, brake vans on goods trains are a bit of a pain.

Chris.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”