Ideas for an N gauge door sized layout.

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Shuntyman

Ideas for an N gauge door sized layout.

Postby Shuntyman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:02 pm

Working in 'N', my plan is to to build an urban layout, 1980's BR onwards to privatisation. There is to be a double track loop with a juction feeding an incline to an urban terminus borrowed heavily from the classic 'Minories'. Inside the double track loop there are to be some sidings to provide loco staging and industry as well as a through station for operational interest. The terminus will also have a few sidings (probably a parcels platform and a small permanent way depot).

I'm heading for a Birmingham feel, looking to model a slightly grimy 80's urban setting making good use of scale scenes kits.

I've never worked in N but I've had a couple of modest layouts in 00. This will be my most ambitious project and I aim to construct it in stages. The layout will be hinged off the garage wall but I want to have the option of transporting it if needed.

The fiddle yard is located under the terminus which is far from ideal, it might require a traverser or a widening of the layout. I also want to wire for DCC, which I have some experience of. All points will be electrofrog apart from the fiddle. The gradient from the junction to the neck of the terminus is 2.8% rising up to 2.5 inches above baseboard level. Hopefully this won't present any problems.

Emettman

Re: Ideas for an N gauge door sized layout.

Postby Emettman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:02 am

The "terminus above a continuous run" is a classic design in OO and N.
Do I see Minories in the terminus?

A CJF plan in OO

Here the "return" element to complement the terminus is a return loop.
In N, without the continuous run a 3ft, 3ft 6" turntable would be quite simple.
While preserving the double-track oval, less, so, but not necessarily impossible for a turntable or a return loop.

A lot would depend on the door dimensions and the acceptable minimum radii (hidden, visible)

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

VerdevaleRailway

Postby VerdevaleRailway » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:11 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Great layout plan, though you may need to double check your points, the second platform line and upper sidings dont allow for left line running, also entering the lower sidings would require reversing in.

And maybe the first set of points from the second platform is superfluous? Their function is repeated after it joins the short platform siding?

:wink: V.R.
'whose origin was a terminus'

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:47 am

Looks great. That must be one hell of a curve in that hidden top left corner but you managed not to get any red sections from XtrkCad. What does the track plan look like under there?
Regards
Rob

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:40 am

VerdevaleRailway wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum.

Great layout plan, though you may need to double check your points,

:wink: V.R.

Yes, just seen. The first crossover, when approaching the terminus, needs to be reversed. (or an equivalent adjustment.)

Chris

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:53 am

I assume you want a double track on the bottom? If so you need to change the junction where the lines from the station meet the oval, at the moment you can circulate the inner loop but not the outer! Two choices, if for modern image then bring the double track from the station into a single track and then do a ladders crossover when joining the double track or if steam days then the conventional two points and crossover...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_junction

They are right about the entry points to the station, the second crossover is the wrong way round. On CJF's original Minories you can get to all platforms, in or out...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/upload ... 570285.jpg

Shuntyman

Postby Shuntyman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Thanks all for the comments :)

Ah i see, somehow i've flipped the entry to the terminus. That's a very valuble observation Vervedale, thankyou.

Ironduke, it is indeed a tight turn into the fiddle so i could fit in the curved junction. I'll try and post a plan of the fiddle later.

Emmetman, it is indeed closely based upon Minories, although i got it wrong. The original sketch was titled 'Cyril Freezer Tribute' so well spotted.

Hopefully i can get back onto xtrkcad later. Currently on house decorating duties.

Shuntyman

Postby Shuntyman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:11 pm

Following your input I have rearranged the terminus throat to allow left line running from all platforms. I have also re worked the junction to make the loop a true double track.

What are the curved points like for smooth running in N? The correct working of the layout will hinge upon the series of curved points working reliably with DMUs, loco hauled passenger trains, parcels and the occasional departmental train crossing them without derailing. This looks like the potential sticking point (accidental pun) for the layout.

I'm thinking also of extending to 6x4 feet so the fiddle yard doesn't have to be under the station and I can relieve the curve going into the fiddle somewhat. It will also provide room for more roads in the fiddle which will hopefully become home for more stock :D

Image[/url]

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:43 pm

Having discussed possibilities, I offer this for thought

9ft by 2ft 6'in, (narrows to 2ft in centre, or use this for controls.

Two of the three platforms will hold an HST of 5 coaches +2,
The minimum curve radius is 11 inches
Pointwork Peco 55
End curves Kato double track.
A clear double-double track main-line, with a slight rise at the left-hand end, to ease the gradient to the simple lower-level branch line
(For DMU, 2 or 4 car) and steam push-pull, though a small siding or two could be added for a local goods terminating there.)

Tender locos turn using either of the right-end loops. The raised townscape on the left should be just long enough to hold a train stationary and out-of-sight while making moves which cross or demand access to either main-line.

What I couldn't get in, also desired, was a fiddle yard or extra storage.
Replacing the branch line station with a non-scenic sector plate would be a possibility.
Even without that, this layout would be approaching the maximum of stock I'd like to install and remove for each operating session, if the layout is to hinge.

See what you think.

Chris

Shuntyman

Postby Shuntyman » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:45 am

Looks great Chris, I like it that the terminus can be accessed from two directions as some city terminii are (can't think of any off the top of my head). The branch also offers scope to expand at a later date which is nice. Could the diamonds that form the exits from the double loop be swapped for single slips to simplify things? Would that be prototypical? My knowledge is a bit lacking in this area.

Thanks for taking the time.
Neal

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:28 pm

Not everyone likes slip points, so I worked this with conventional points.
Yes, two single slips would simplify the track plan and free a few inches to spend somewhere else.
There may be a place for a double slip in the station throat, to similar effect.

The opposing station feeds* saves trying to insert a return loop or second terminus which was difficult in the space and needed more layers.

If you start with a different order of priority, very different layouts will emerge: put a big fiddle-yard at number one, for example, or industry to docks operation, or...

Chris

*it's an old thought for big rooms in OO: I first saw it in a book of D J Freezer track plans. Where else?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”