"A Taste of Albeř"

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
b308

"A Taste of Albeř"

Postby b308 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:23 am

South Bohemia is now about finished but for a bit of fettling and will be fealturing as Railway of the Month in next month's Continental Modeller so the time has come to make something a little smaller so it'll allow me to take the family when I go to exhibitions!

So, a small 6ftx2ft "scenic" layout perhaps...

When on our Czech/Austria NG trip I introduced my friend David to Albeř, a small village just on the outskirts of Nova Bystrice near the end of the southern of the two JHMD lines. I had thought before it would make a good, compact, layout in HO but with the smaller size of TT I recon it will fit on the two boards... It consists of a small station with siding and a viaduct made of stone and girder construction... A visit to that exhibition in Prague where they had modelled it confirmed my opinion that it would make a neat compact model...

For a start the original only has a siding which will restrict working at exhibitions (assuming people want it), so it will have a loop instead. Secondly I'll be modelling at it from the other side to the Prague layout, they model it from the location of a Hostel, but I will be looking "uphill" towards the Hostel. The ground slopes upwards towards it so will help in disguising the back.

I've been wondering how to disguise the exit of the road 152 which is quite a wide road, even on that model they haven't managed it! On looking on page 141 of my book on the line (the Karel Just book!) it would appear that the small road under the single girder was originally the main road and the current 152 road under the second of the double girders didn't exist. If my reading of that page is right the twin girders actually went across the river/stream instead so they must have changed it when they built the new road (I assume to bypass Albeř itself).

That rather makes things easier. If you look closely at that link you can see the water course does a sharp left hand turn and goes under the 152 and into the forest, it actually goes up to a large lake behind the forest. That would make life much easier for me modelling it as it naturally goes out of the line of view deep into the trees.

So I've got rid of the new road (the 152) altogether and taken it back to pre bypass days. Also the old boards proved unsuitable so have been scrapped and two new 3ft by 2ft 6ins boards made up.

The prototype:

Some progress:

Plan:

Basic boards (6ft x 2ft 6ins (1.85m x 750mm):

Overall view fro the viaduct end:

Track laid (Peco Code 60 rail and Marklin Z points):

Control Panel (!):

I took it out for a test run last night at a local Narrow Gauge Meeting and it behaved itself. It's first exhibition will be at the beginning of March in Derby.

b308

Re: "A Taste of Albeř"

Postby b308 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:34 pm

The basic buildings... I using and in some cases re-using some models I have collected so again they are not models of the actual buildings seen at Alber. The "Hostel" is an Auhagen kits "House Carola" with the addition of an extension from another Auhagen kit, as ano old "posh" house converted into a Hotel I feel it fits the bill... The station is from my original TTe layout and so is the small building next to the viaduct which is nicely dwarfed by the viaduct...

There are other things to add, one of the electricity sub stations which populate the rural areas and a small shrine I have hidden away together with an outbuilding or two...

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:27 am

It's going to it's first show, the European Railway Society's TT Show in Derby on Sunday as a "work in progress"... I felt that all brown ground and a few buildings was pushing my luck a little so have added some trees and grass, whilst it looks crude at the moment (and will look like this at Derby) the grass will be "merged" in properly in due course...

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:51 pm

It's already developing some of its character, seeing it in it's current state would certainly persuade me to book a return visit.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:12 pm

It's booked a couple of shows towards the end of the year and will have to be a lot nearer "finished" by then!

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:16 am

As we've lost the images I've transferred the main progress photos to Imgur and here they are in build order!

The layout is designed so it can be converted to HOe using 10.5" radius curves when i finally move away from TTe, so the backscene is deep and the trees large! Here's two photos showing firstly the TTe T.47 followed by it's HOe brother...

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:38 am

Probably the quickest way to restore the images to a thread! Seeing them all together surprised me by how inconspicuous the point motor housing becomes when painted in with the surrounding ground.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:07 pm

Looking good B308. :)
Can I ask, how did you make the curve at the corners (the white part) for the backscene please?
I was thinking of using poly coving but it would need a lot of fettling, probably with a hot wire cutter.
Thanks in advance.
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:31 pm

They are made from 5mm foamboard, E2E. You can probably make out that I cut through the back layer of card to facilitate the curve and used a sharp knife to get the ends to a sharp point so they meet the backscene board without a visible joint. It just takes a little time fettling before gluing them in place.

Bufferstop wrote:Probably the quickest way to restore the images to a thread! Seeing them all together surprised me by how inconspicuous the point motor housing becomes when painted in with the surrounding ground.

Seemed the most logical thing to do!

Yep, the biggest issue with using the Z track isn't the motors but the sleepers! I'll be doing a little more work before ballasting!

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Ahh I see!
Thanks B308. :)
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:37 pm

Nearly time for Welshpool Gala Weekend (I'll be at Welshpool Station in one of the display sheds) so some modelling needed to be done... For the Gala just some ballasting and the addition of a "sky" backscene to add, I've got one of those photo backscenes which needs trimming to size... Plus testing!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”