Elliston - loft layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
paule23

Elliston - loft layout

Postby paule23 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:41 pm

I've managed to clear my loft a little bit tonight in readiness for Elliston to begin.

The first issue is a replan is required. My initial thoughts were for an 8x4 slab built from four 4x2 baseboards, but the usable space at the right height is only just over 5', so not enough space to get round the whole layout.

The space then leads itself to a run around the outside. I want a continuous loop so I'll have to do some ducking under to get to the middle.

I'm off to rework a plan......
Attachments
20170129_182837_resized_1.jpg
Bare loft
20170129_182837_resized_1.jpg (320.38 KiB) Viewed 1190 times

Bufferstop

Re: Elliston - loft layout

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:00 pm

The obvious place to put your boards is in the space between the woodwork keep the centre clear for yourself. Could you arrange it so that the central space includes the access hatch. It might be worth creating a new hatch if it put it in the centre and came out of a less used room. You'll probably want to leave it open whilst you are up there, and it will be far less of an inconvenience if it comes doesn't block the landing or other circulation space. When I used the loft the ladder obstructed the bathroom door. If I'd stayed up there I would have moved the hatch into the guest bedroom.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:01 pm

The obvious place to put your boards is in the space between the woodwork keep the centre clear for yourself. Could you arrange it so that the central space includes the access hatch. It might be worth creating a new hatch if it put it in the centre and came out of a less used room. You'll probably want to leave it open whilst you are up there, and it will be far less of an inconvenience if it comes doesn't block the landing or other circulation space. When I used the loft the ladder obstructed the bathroom door. If I'd stayed up there I would have moved the hatch into the guest bedroom.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

paule23

Postby paule23 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:03 pm

No go on moving the hatch, I'm quite happy where it is and luckily, although the ladder is on the landing, it doesn't completely obstruct anything, you can easily get round it and access all rooms.

I'm also not sure about putting the boards behind the first set of rafters. It will really disrupt the scene, and although I would have more space in the middle of the loft it would not be aesthetically pleasing.

The good news is the picture only shows the left half too the loft (about 12.5' by 5.25'), there's another side too for later expansion (although that would take a LOT of dejunking).
I'm thinking 18" wide boards on the long edges, 30" at the base (or wider, my sidings might have to move from my original thoughts on the long edge of an 8x4). This will leave me with just over 2 foot in the middle, not massive but enough to manoeuvre around in. Maybe 9 or 10' long to give plenty of space for stations etc. Double oval is plan A......

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:29 pm

Planning is the theatre of dreams. Good luck with it. Will follow with interest.
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:31 pm

paule23 wrote:
I'm also not sure about putting the boards behind the first set of rafters. It will really disrupt the scene, and although I would have more space in the middle of the loft it would not be aesthetically pleasing.

Thought: what if you had 12' of main scenic board on one side, inside the rafters, with the other side plain track and a couple of long storage loops (holding two trains each) *beyond* the rafters?

One "end" might get a small branch terminus or industrial feature, while the other would have a plain track flap, gate or lift-out section.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Brooker

Postby Brooker » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:19 pm

Emettman wrote:Thought: what if you had 12' of main scenic board on one side, inside the rafters, with the other side plain track and a couple of long storage loops (holding two trains each) *beyond* the rafters?

I really like that idea - filed away for the future!

There are lots of folk on here who manage to get any woodwork to blend in with the surroundings. I'm sure Mike at Wordsworth has scenic sections in amongst roof timbers...

paule23

Postby paule23 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:36 am

Emettman wrote:
paule23 wrote:

Thought: what if you had 12' of main scenic board on one side, inside the rafters, with the other side plain track and a couple of long storage loops (holding two trains each) *beyond* the rafters?

One "end" might get a small branch terminus or industrial feature, while the other would have a plain track flap, gate or lift-out section.

Chris

That's a really interesting idea which I'll think about. My first thoughts are I'd like the bends and a full scene inside the rafters (but then my original plan was 8x4 slab and that soon changed).

I could definitely use the storage loop idea though which would remove pressure on the width of the main area from having to include sidings, more space for proper scenery!

Off to upgrade my RailModellerExpress app as this will take more than the 50 free items in the free version.

js1975

Postby js1975 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:43 pm

You appear to have good height in there. Or is it just quite narrow?

paule23

Postby paule23 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:01 pm

Very good height in the middle, but a sharp taper results in fairly narrow usable space.

paule23

Postby paule23 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:39 pm

I was passing a Wickes tonight so popped in and bought the 4x2 boards to make my baseboard. Surprising how large 4x2 is in the flesh! I was worried, when my plan moved to going around the room rather than a whole 8 x 4 that I would have little space for my station layout, but 2' wide looks plenty, even with an extra siding.

I'm just downloading Windows so I can get some track planning software on my Mac. RailModeller is too expensive, and Trax too frustrating.

roganty

Postby roganty » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:19 pm

paule23 wrote:I'm just downloading Windows so I can get some track planning software on my Mac. RailModeller is too expensive, and Trax too frustrating.

Instead of installing windows, you could always install wine Then you can install and run any windows programs, such as SCARM or AnyRail

Anthony

paule23

Postby paule23 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:51 pm

Interesting, I'll have a look into it.

Now, initial design, this was first thoughts on an 8 x 4 slab, but it will work on 8 or 9 x 5 with a hole in the middle (I hope). Any thoughts?

I ran out of pieces to use on the free version of RailExpress, but there should be a 2 platform station.

It uses 4th and 3rd radius curves on the two ovals. There will probably also be a siding or two on the long run at the top, and maybe a bridge for a stream top left.

Loft.png
Loft.png (25.87 KiB) Viewed 1081 times

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:47 am

Hi,

How about a double oval but with part of it behind the timber uprights, hidden. Use it as a fiddle yard. So, basically, the uprights of your roof would sit in the middle of your current plan. You could then do the same on the other side of the loft and have two seprate railways or join them with a branchline or make something like a folded figure of eight, or just some long loops.

I have quite a bit of hidden track, trains pop out of tunnels and from under bridges unexpectedly. Visitors cannot work out how it is done. Although it is simple. Gives your locos a chance to stretch their legs too.

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

paule23

Postby paule23 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:10 am

Interesting idea Dan. One challenge is I don't have flooring behind the rafters for the baseboard legs, but if I'm building the baseboards I don't suppose a bit of extra flooring would be too taxing. This would have the advantage of giving a 'clean' background for my main station scene. Hmmmmmm.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”