new attic layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
TimberSurf

Re: new attic layout

Post by TimberSurf »

DCC, lots to choose from, lots to research, down to personal choice and budget!
I too am doing DCC and analogue point control (switches on a mimic panel) {and a third system for lights!}
I think there are two factors for choosing DCC "size", number of locos in collection and sound.
If you envisage more than 9 locos with DCC fitted (not necessarily running at once) in your repertoire, then as E2E has shown, EZ /Hornby isn't the right choice! Entry level DCC controllers are limited to just over 1 amp, OK for max 3-4 locos (running) but that will reduce when sound locos are running (they take more power), so if you want more than 2-3 locos with sound running, you need a 5A base or controller that can add a 5A booster.
Popular UK choices are NCE, prodigy and Lenz.
My preference is NCE, advantage is that its scalable (grows with you and your financial commitment, but no part is redundant, on upgrade)
You can start with PowerCab (1.2A, unlimited locos, cheap, CV's programmable, expandable controllers and power), then add SB3 (5A) and further DB5 boosters (+5A) if needed later. a variety of additional controllers are available (procab, Cab06, Cab06p etc{or radio versions}) https://www.ncedcc.com/

I would recommend you read through my website guides to get your forward thinking juices flowing
Lumsdonia Controls Guide
Lumsdonia Power Guide
but then I am biased! :)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

E-Z Command is an entry level and works ok, but you may find it is limited as though you can certainly add a slave controller and a generous booster, you only have 9 loco addresses (With one on DC to make 10) and also a limit on just two or three functions. (Can't remember. Did buy one with a train set once).
I went into a Lenz system and can certainly recommend them. Not sure if they are still made, but if they are you will find them very good indeed.
Gaugemaster many have been happy with. It is a popular choice.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

and the last thing I want is any PC near the layout. I spend too much time looking at screens. Shhh!...... this forum doesn't count because we are sharing ideas and learning!!
My thinking entirely, from the start of time, well when I took early retirement at least. I may have to rethink though, as I really want to get this big orange lump (da Vinci 3D printer) off the end of my desk.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Shambles

Post by Shambles »

Thanks for that reply end2end