New layout in the planning process

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
numbnuts846

New layout in the planning process

Post by numbnuts846 »

After years of set backs etc etc. Me and the long suffering Mrs picked up the keys to our new house before Xmas and now have the whole attic to set up my oo gauge layout. . Loft ladder goes in tomorrow and flooring will be on order next week got about 25ft x 20ft to play with
After 23 year gap i am back in the hobby i love and my son of 20 months is following in my foot steps
Bufferstop

Re: New layout in the planning process

Post by Bufferstop »

You may wish to put in some additional rafters, Those the builders put in may flex under the extra load. If there's a deep layer of insulation on the top of the downstairs ceiling, your roof space was designed to be "cold". At some point you may want some form of insulation between the roof timbers. I know, I took over a loft with neither, persistent hairline cracks in the ceiling below, chilly in winter, sweltering in summer.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
numbnuts846

Post by numbnuts846 »

Ha ha ha the bank manager has took it all the money already....but luckily many years of collecting track etc has seen me well with not much to buy in track already have 8 boxes of flexy track . Just putting in lighting at the moment which came from the step dad . Will post some photos at some point
After 23 year gap i am back in the hobby i love and my son of 20 months is following in my foot steps
paule23

Post by paule23 »

I'm really interested to see how this progresses. I'm just about to launch a loft build (working on the planning right now, and where to get the wood).

I'm a bit worried about the extra weight in the loft, it has a floor down but is not designed to be used as a room (new build house), so I may need to consider strengthening the floor, but that could get expensive very quickly.
numbnuts846

Post by numbnuts846 »

The Mrs had arranged a surprise for me :D by having my loft ladder and hatch fitted while at work...... only to receive a phone call to inform me that during the delivery by yobal resulting in it being broken in several places and not worth trying to save it. A quick.phone call to toolstation and a ladder and hatch in less than 20 mins all done while travelling between stations.
Got home and it was all fitted so now to order the flooring and start marking out the fitting for loft legs
numbnuts846

Post by numbnuts846 »

Quick update . Flooring has been purchased 18mm flooring sheets and also loft legs already to be screwed down. The joists where I am likely to be walking have been strengthened with 4x2 timber in between joists and long lengths as the floor will be raised 175mm on the legs to cover the insulation.
Also the chimney wall has been painted and sealed to brighten up the loft .
Will try to post some photos soon
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

If you have insulation below the floorboards, you may need to put some between the roof rafters.
numbnuts846

Post by numbnuts846 »

Yes the previous owner under a grant had the insulation done which they placed on top the old stuff.
Even in the cold weather we had its always been warm in the loft
numbnuts846

Post by numbnuts846 »

Quick update

29 packs of 18mm flooring arrived this week the main area of the loft has been raised on loft legs (130) and strengthened with 4x2 timber laid length ways across the joists between the legs and also under the floor where needed at joins in the floor. The new lights have been fitted in to the lighting circuit and sockets have been fitted as well. Next on the list is a hand rail to be built around the loft hatch to help the kids climbing up and down
paule23

Post by paule23 »

numbnuts846 wrote:Quick update

29 packs of 18mm flooring arrived this week the main area of the loft has been raised on loft legs (130) and strengthened with 4x2 timber laid length ways across the joists between the legs and also under the floor where needed at joins in the floor. The new lights have been fitted in to the lighting circuit and sockets have been fitted as well. Next on the list is a hand rail to be built around the loft hatch to help the kids climbing up and down
When you are strengthening it is not simply about bracing the joists, it's whether the roof space is designed to take the weight. Proper strengthening involves placing some pretty heavy duty timber or RSJs across the entire roof space onto load bearing walls to ensure appropriate strength for a floor and various other stuff. Be careful about just adding wood between existing joists as you are adding weight without adding to the overall strength of the floor.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Do you think these will carry the weight?

They were actually going in to allow the loft to be eliminated. They performed a three point turn with it once it was inside. Half of the house now goes right up to the (well insulated) rafters. And the sunshine we only ever got in the kitchen now reaches everywhere.
paule23

Post by paule23 »

Bufferstop wrote:Do you think these will carry the weight?
Ha, yes i think that might just about do it :D
numbnuts846

Post by numbnuts846 »

The house was built.in 1937 so the attic has huge great timbers which basically splits the floor up into 4 sections. And these big timbers are all sat on load bearing walls not to mention the huge purlins attached to the roof . Will try to get better photos
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Can't beat a bit of good old fashioned over-engineering. That's the trouble with modern roofs, there's no more timber than it takes to meet the spec. Our 1960s roof didn't meet present day standards so having put in the steel purlins they had to insert 4" deep rafters in place of the 3" ones. The architect's guy acting as project manager and I were both interested to see how you inserted a 4" timber into a 3" gap. The builder demonstrated, you put it in lying on its side, fasten a huge clamp on it next to the purlin, then using the clamp as a spanner, you turn it through 90 degrees. A tile on batten roof is obviously not a solid object.
numbnuts846

Post by numbnuts846 »

It's also a one owner house from new as well. Found a ww2 gas mask complete with box while laying the floor
Fitting the cables on the ground floor is easy as well just lift a floor board and there you have it 3ft to crawl around under the house :D