Plans for the new loft...

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
End2end

Re: Plans for the new loft...

Post by End2end »

By changing the siding in the signal box picture to the other side of the track you should be able to manipulate the 2 track diagrams together. It will take a little shifting around of track to get the cross over in but hopefully it should be possible.
Almost like flipping the signal box picture upside down but keeping the curves going diagonal upwards to the left.
I can't seem to grab the picture to draw on it to show you what I mean so I hope I made myself understood. :wink:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Brooker

Post by Brooker »

Thanks for your comment E2E.

So, I have tried (unsuccessfully) to incorporate the cross over in the Chesil Station plan, so have compromised on this...

The highlighted area is the change. I was in two minds as to whether to complete the run around on the left or leave at as a head shunt. I decided the run around would be more useful.

I also thought about loco release from the right hand end of the new siding - which would be easy enough to, going back to the platform line immediately above.

However, I'm going to need some station buildings and the cattle loading dock too, so at the moment am trying to keep the section below and to the right of the platforms as clear as possible.

My biggest concern with the plan for the station as it stands is needing access to the single running line at that level and location for engine changes and any shunting. BUT I can't for the moment come up with a solution.

I'm thinking now, probably best to pause at this stage until I have a more concrete idea of the space I'll have to play with. Especially as I have a shunting yard plan I am happy with, a viaduct I could start to build, and a "branch line" halt to work on as well.

Not with standing the layout in the current house which is still in bits following the water leak!!

To be continued....
Brooker

Post by Brooker »

As I alluded to in my previous post on my in construction thread, I have been playing with station and yard designs on the back of getting hold of new books about the DN&S railway.
It would appear that my plans for the yard are nothing like real life...
ACTUAL
My FIRST PLAN
So this may well need a re-think...

Additionally, here is another possibility for a station (Whitchurch)

I've also had a bit of a play with what I may be able to do in the new loft - I have plans with the dimensions of the foot print of the loft and the roof angle - so I tried to work out how much space I may have.

I gave up, and decided I'd be better off waiting until I actually get to the new house after all...

So now it's going to be pause for thought - until late April (fingers x'ed)

Cheers
Dave
End2end

Post by End2end »

Something I've run into in the last couple of days is that maybe it's worth changing the crossover from a Peco one to a Hornby one. (You can do this in scarm just for those pieces)
My new track plan is all peco except the 2 crossovers I need which will have to be Hornby ones.
Thought it was worth pointing out, as it was to me. ;)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Brooker

Post by Brooker »

:D Thanks E2E, I read about your challenges earlier today. I think I'm getting around that by using flexi at the moment, but it is certainly something I'll bear in mind!!