Planning: OO Gauge Heritage Line (The S.H.H.R)

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Mountain

Re: Planning: OO Gauge Heritage Line (The S.H.H.R)

Postby Mountain » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:22 pm

Which area in Wales did/do you find yourself? I'm in Carmarthenshire.
Used to have a Triang/Hornby hall. It was lovely.

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:45 pm

Alas I have only ever visited there. I've spent a day in Cardiff and up in The Brecon Beacons park area. That was probably almost 10 years ago now! Absolutely beautiful. I didn't have any time to go over to the Talyllyn, or Ffestiniog. My favorite narrow gauge railways. When I go back I plan on doing both!
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:48 am

South Wales is a mixture of flat and lower rolling hills, Mid Wales is hilly with rolling hills and North Wales has mostly rocky mountains or hills.
Population wise, Cardiff and the valleys along with neighbouring Newport seem to have more living there then the rest of Wales put together.
Tal-Y-Llyn and Ffestiniog are very different railways indeed. The one had the no expense spared approach, while the other had the extreme budget approach. This is understandable as one had connections to an amazing network of large slate quarries while the other had three smaller slate quarries so tonnages were rather limited.

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:11 am

Oh yes two entirely different kinds of railway. Worth noting that Thomas & Friends got me into the Talyllyn from the books I read as a child. I do love the engines very much for not ever having met them in person! :lol:

Been thinking.. One can never have too many Halls! I may reach out and buy a Bachmann Modified Hall IF they fix the front end (or if Hornby decide to one up them first), it will become 7928 Wolf Hall if it ever comes to pass but with the way Bachmann have done the front end of the Modified Hall currently... they should be ashamed.

I should be able to start on benchwork here this week as well

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:03 pm

I met the Rev. W. Awdry but didn't chat with him as he was at a model train show and it was a section for the kiddies. I'm greatful for him as his little books inspired me back in the 1970's.

https://youtu.be/O8nTquXf4sM

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:05 pm

Mountain wrote:I met the Rev. W. Awdry but didn't chat with him as he was at a model train show and it was a section for the kiddies. I'm greatful for him as his little books inspired me back in the 1970's.

https://youtu.be/O8nTquXf4sM

How lucky! I wish I could have and perhaps had a great conversation of his inspirations. My mom brought home the classic boxed set in the early 90s for me. I still have them, though they have been very much loved.

Back to the baseboard, I'm thinking a simple frame mounted on saw horses?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:53 pm

I should have had a chat. I was a bit embarissed as the area he was in was designed with kiddies in mind.
If the layout does not need to be portable, make legs from 2x2's.

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:50 am

I never met the Rev W, but I've met Christopher Awdry on a couple of occasions, at various events. Very interesting guy. As for their inspirations, there are a couple of books on the topic. Rev W Awdry wrote "Sodor: It's People, History and Railways", which includes pretty much everything imaginable, from the island's history (back about 1000 years), to descriptions of the towns, including hotel names, tales of notable historical figures... a Tolkein-esque level of backstory. Christopher also did a somewhat cut-down version of this, but also including a large number of Q&As, in "Sodor: Reading Between the Lines". Both books appear on eBay every so often, so worth keeping your eyes open for.

The Talyllyn is a beautiful line, I can't get enough of it. My folks live just a few miles away, so it's our go-to railway for a day out. In fact, I was there last week, for a mince pie special:
IMAG0819a.jpg
IMAG0819a.jpg (203.78 KiB) Viewed 939 times

If you do get the opportunity to visit North Wales, definitely take the time to visit as many of the railways as you can. Ffestiniog and Talyllyn are both amazing, for a start, and if you like the Talyllyn, then Corris is certainly worth looking at. Also, the Welsh Highland (both of them), Snowdon Mountain Railway, Llanberis Lake, Bala Lake, Fairbourne, Welshpool & Llanfair, Llangollen, Vale of Rheidol, and... the list just goes on and on in that part of the world, and they are all worth visiting. You could be here for weeks and still want more. And that's without taking in the towns themselves, or other non-railway attractions.
=Doug
| Dragonfly | Current projects: Kidneston (00) / Clatter (N) / Much Oakley (N) / Workbench |

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:18 pm

That looks like a wonderful time! I can't even begin to imagine how much time you'd truly need to spend there to actually explore everything there is to offer. I may go later this year, but we shall see.

I wouldn't say the layout needs to be totally portable, but one day it will need to be moved yes. I may actually split it into 4x4 halves to facilitate that (or just cut the thing in half when I do move :lol: )

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:45 am

The most difficult part for a portable layout is the weight. It is surprising how heavy they can be! The portable layout I'm making is in two sections and has doubly folding legs. The first set fold outwards and other legs fold out from the first.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:56 am

For semi portable, mounted on work benches or cupboards is good. The easiest way to join sections of layout is by buying cheap hinges, removing the pins and replacing the pins with L shaped wire of a similar thickness. Block connecters are ideal for portable layouts that rarely need to be portable. Consider block connectors that split and work as a plug and socket pair or other plugs and sockets for multiple wires if they need to be used more often. Other methods are brass or copper between baseboard joins, though this method dust can get between the strips for long term use in position.

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:26 am

I have tons and tons of left over automotive wiring with various connectors attached, so I'd planned on using that. I also found my old bachmann Manor, though it has seen MUCH better days, and I previously used it as a test bed for weathering / intended restoration project. I used it today to test my theory on painting the rims of the wheels on the Hall black. Achieved with flat black paint and a small brush, I THINK I should be able to do it.

Also I've submitted my order to Narrow Planet for the Hall plates :)

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:36 pm

So I was having a go in AnyRail again, after seeing another layout with a similar setup... I feel like this could be pleasing, however I can no longer fit 4 coaches plus loco in the platforms.

Upper level is 3" above baseboard height, and I feel like the yard is somewhat more interesting, and makes a lot more use of available baseboard space, but I'm not sure.

(actually have a new idea for it, one moment please)

edit: nevermind still cant fit 4 coaches in there... need a good inch or two on each side

edit #2: This works, I wonder what it would be like in terms of running. I lose the rear passing siding at the expense of scenery and hillsides (also the baseboard is 3" longer so its 4' x 8'3"

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:33 am

Some more editing of the curves, and throw some paint on it... It looks very convincing. Just don't know what I'm going to do with all of the stock that wont live on the layout... I guess I'll have to keep the shelf with track on it too. Platforms fit 4 coaches now as well :mrgreen:

Last edited by redline41190 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:34 am

I like double posts :lol:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”