Planning: OO Gauge Heritage Line (The S.H.H.R)

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
redline41190

Re: Planning: OO Gauge Heritage Line

Postby redline41190 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:24 pm

Emettman wrote:
redline41190 wrote:
Like that?

I think that looks a lot less crowded.
I admit I saw those two long siding as for goods stock not an engine depot, thinking that a station this size would be lucky to rate its own small shunter.
(But heritage lines can get away with odd things)

Anyway, its not for me to approve or not, only to suggest ideas and thinking.

On which, with your set-up, I think wire in tube point control could be a lot cheaper and easier than point motors...

Chris

Well the idea here is that the preservationists have somewhat re-purposed this yard and area, laying extra track and adding buildings. Perhaps those sidings didn't originally exist, perhaps they were originally wagon sidings. The shed would not have been an original building. In fact I'm thinking of using the Peco LK-80 shed:

A modern building surrounded by the original, albeit somewhat modified station buildings. The goods shed on the siding will likely be boarded up and have wagons or projects in front of it. The signal box will match the station buildings simply because it escaped demolition after the line was closed off from the main system in the 60s.

From what I've gathered is that some of the smaller lines just have mish-mashed their buildings and rolling stock in order to preserve them. So while the line will have a decidedly GWR style, it won't necessarily be an ex WR/GWR line.

also I've never heard of wire in tube point control, guess I'll have to google that one! (though I can imagine what it is)
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:30 pm

I have one of those, though it has the odd door missing. I tried to sell it at a train fair and someone knocked it off the table so it is in parts. Fortunately easy to rebuild. Ideally as the odd door etc is missing it would be good to extend another shed.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:36 pm

Wire in tube point control is probably the closest thing to the prototype!
Very simple to make or buy a kit to do the same. Other simple devices are to use those ratio plastic levers and string with a spring the other side of the point, or home made point rods via bicycle spokes etc, etc. Bicycle spokes can easily have their ends flattened with a hammer and the wider ends can then be drilled to accept pivot pins or fastenings to the point or lever itself. Point levers can be home made.
A good source of ideas and plans comes in the form of an older book for kiddies "The Whizzkids Guide to Model Railways".

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:25 pm

Mountain wrote:I have one of those, though it has the odd door missing. I tried to sell it at a train fair and someone knocked it off the table so it is in parts. Fortunately easy to rebuild. Ideally as the odd door etc is missing it would be good to extend another shed.

How broken is it? :lol:

Is it true that they can be built as either 1 or 2 road sheds? I originally had thought of getting two and only having one track be the double shed length, but I think that having both be that long would be beneficial. Could house projects in the rear as well as running engines.

I'm going to have to look that up, it sounds extremely easy to make and I do like the idea of not using point motors, I'm no good with electrical.

I do believe we discussed how the layout will be operated. DCC is the way to go here. The 2-6-2 tank I have is DCC fitted. The A3 and N15 can both be chipped so I'm pleased with that. DCC Sound then becomes an option too but I'm not huge on it.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:12 am

redline41190 wrote:
Mountain wrote:I have one of those, though it has the odd door missing. I tried to sell it at a train fair and someone knocked it off the table so it is in parts. Fortunately easy to rebuild. Ideally as the odd door etc is missing it would be good to extend another shed.

Is it true that they can be built as either 1 or 2 road sheds? I originally had thought of getting two and only having one track be the double shed length, but I think that having both be that long would be beneficial. Could house projects in the rear as well as running engines.

I'm going to have to look that up, it sounds extremely easy to make and I do like the idea of not using point motors, I'm no good with electrical.

I do believe we discussed how the layout will be operated. DCC is the way to go here. The 2-6-2 tank I have is DCC fitted. The A3 and N15 can both be chipped so I'm pleased with that. DCC Sound then becomes an option too but I'm not huge on it.

It is actually not too bad. It basically dissasembled itself so it would need glueing back together.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:14 am

redline41190 wrote:

It is actually not too bad. It basically dissasembled itself so it would need glueing back together. This is made as a two road shed. Wasn't aware they can be made as a single road, but a four road looks easy.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:45 am

Don't be scared of point motor wiring. It is easy stuff to do. I wouldn't bother with DCC point control unless you want to add automatic running (Which is expensive!)
Point motors are just solenoids. Two solenoids per point. Basically they are coils of wire that when electricity passes through the coil, it acts as a magnet which shoots the central bar in one direction. The other coil is used to shoot the bar the other direction.
Usually (Depends how one is wiring the point solenoid (It is not a motor though we call them motors)) a wire from each of the two coils is used as an earth wire so these are joined together to form a single wire which heads to the power source (16-18v A.C. recommended). The remaining two wires from the two coils go to a switch or a control panel stud. (I used nails and soldered each wire to them!)
If using a switch it needs to be a momentary type switch. The stud method or nails just stick out from the control panel. A diagram is painted on the panel to symbolise where the track goes. The nails symbolise which way the point throws. So I placed a nail through the track on the control panel at each exit of a point. Then you get a "Probe" (I tended to use a nail) with the wire that is soldered onto it going to the other connection on the power source. If you use a switch, this wire goes to the switch input wire.
Now when your probe touches one of the nail or stud contacts on your board, it should throw the solenoid in one direction. Do not keep the probe touching the stud on the board as it will burn out your solenoid. Just a quick touch does nicely!
Easy peasy and cheap! :mrgreen:
Many also buy a capacitor discharge unit to give extra power to throw the points over. This is not really needed unless you want to throw two point solenoids at a time (Or more) where one nail (Or stud) is used to throw two points. An additional benefit is that it gives a sudden burst of current and once that burst is given, the current is expanded until the capacitors regain their charge, so in theory this prevents solenoids from being burnt out througe excessive contact. To be honest, unless you have a larger layout, or want to throw more then one point at a time you don't need one, but they are nice to have, and not that costly to buy.
The only caution when using a capacitor discharge unit (CDU), is it is good practice AFTER you switch off the layout to throw a point, as on rare occasions the current stored in the capacitor (s) has been known to start a fire. It is rare, but after I heard it happen to one person who wrote into a model railway magazine, I've always thrown a point (Any one) after switching the mains current off. This discharges the capacitors to prevent issues.

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:07 am

Mountain wrote: It is actually not too bad. It basically dissasembled itself so it would need glueing back together. This is made as a two road shed. Wasn't aware they can be made as a single road, but a four road looks easy.

Hmmm... I may just make it two entrance tracks but double length, those sidings seem capable of handling two tender engines according to the simulation.

re the switch motors, point wiring I'm not scared of. I'm scared of the crazy little motors they make to move the switches. WIT looks neat (not to mention somewhat prototypical) but some of the inner switches will need to be operated by point motors or the manner in which you are suggesting. It'll be interesting to see what I do about the rear ones. I'm thinking of mounting small cameras on the backside to monitor whats going on behind the scenes! :lol:

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:41 am

redline41190 wrote:
Mountain wrote:. I'm thinking of mounting small cameras on the backside to monitor whats going on behind the scenes! :lol:

Serendipity? I was looking on eBay for examples of the control snakes, designed for large R/C model aircraft, that I've used on several different layouts.
(Yes, I've used point motors as well, on others.)
And I was getting frustrated by hitting listings for actual radio control toy snakes instead...
... when a whole batch of these turned up: this just one example.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7mm-5-5mm-Endoscope-Video-Camera-Borescope-Snake-Probe-Tube-for-Android-Phone-UK-/222138693298?var=&hash=item33b87f76b2:m:mpjm0DxNNTqItutVI2uRRvw

The seem to be at a very low price.
I wondered if they only focused very close, but the listing above gives "Focal distance: 5cm-infinate" (sic).

(pause)
OK, I'm curious enough to get one to play with.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:58 am

So long as it would clearly show what direction the track was going I'd be okay with that!

Was thinking 2-3 smaller webcam type cameras though. Run to my PC so I can view them at the same time, it would also allow me to operate the traverser without going behind if I didn't need to.

I should really get to bed, it's 4am here :lol:

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:04 pm

Feeling rather pleased with myself today. I finalized my order from Hattons and used up all of my credit.

I always forget they subtract the VAT since I don't live there. I think I made out pretty well. Curious as to why I got wagons instead of more coaches? Answer: I need to have things to fill those sidings with aside from coaches. With the addition of those three from the pack and the one BG I have 8 again. Thats enough for two full trains, I will get more in the future. Probably some Colletts and some more MK1s. Also the 16T mineral wagons will be what I "transport" the coal for the steam engines in to the shed area.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:23 pm

Looks good. Lovely stock for your layout.

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:38 am

I certainly like to think they'll look good!

I really hope the "design clever" on the Hall doesn't cause me to dislike it. I'm a big fan of Hornby's GWR liveried engines. But having owned a newer Bachmann Hall in the past set my standards high.

Also didn't realize that I'd ordered 3 16t wagons, I thought I'd gotten a GW cattle van. But at least one of them is GW liveried and is specifically for loco coal, fits in with the theme of the place :wink:

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:38 pm

The Mk1 along with the 16T mineral wagons lend themselves to the B.R. era rather then the GWR era, but they are lovely items nonetheless.

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:43 pm

Yes that is true, but I'm not particularly going for GW themed stuff (though I do have a soft spot for it). Preserved lines tend to just have an amalgamation of random pieces. The MK1s with the train pack are BR choc/creams, plus the one maroon, and the four BR(S) Maunsells I've got. I should be able to make some interesting consists if I want to!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”