Planning: OO Gauge Heritage Line (The S.H.H.R)

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Boïschaut

Re: Planning: OO Gauge Heritage Line (The S.H.H.R)

Postby Boïschaut » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:18 am

Me too ! :lol: :lol:

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:13 am

redline41190 wrote: throw some paint on it... It looks very convincing.

I must admit, as a bare track plan I wasn't convinced, but the painted version looks quite neat.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:47 pm

redline41190 wrote:Some more editing of the curves, and throw some paint on it... It looks very convincing. Just don't know what I'm going to do with all of the stock that wont live on the layout... I guess I'll have to keep the shelf with track on it too. Platforms fit 4 coaches now as well :mrgreen:

The key will be to ensure there is just enough height between the top of the tallest item or rolling stock, and the roof of the tunnel, and that the using thin ply or similar over the top stretched over without a frame where the track underneath is, as due to limited room to ease gradients, most train lengths won't be any longer then your four coaches at most. Other then that it is a nice workable plan. If you have room to extend the width an extra foot you will find far more possibilities.
The ideal set up is a layout round the walls of the room with careful consideration for a lifting flap where the door is. (Flap needs to be quick to lift in an emergency, with care to ensure that it is not possible for flap to close after door is shut so one could get shut outside the room).
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:50 pm

"Houses shops and pub..."

What about a church, a phone box etc?

Boïschaut

Postby Boïschaut » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:40 pm

Just a French newbie question: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Why did you put these two points in the middle of the station ?

WHY.jpg

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:35 pm

Boïschaut wrote:Just a French newbie question: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Why did you put these two points in the middle of the station ?

WHY.jpg

I think somewhere in my mind I was envisioning the ability for shorter train engines to run round in the platforms without having to go to the points that are just before the gradient starts. They can always be removed (and now looking at it again they probably should be removed :lol: )

Mountain wrote:"Houses shops and pub..."

What about a church, a phone box etc?

Well yes those things too, was just being extremely general

Mountain wrote:The key will be to ensure there is just enough height between the top of the tallest item or rolling stock, and the roof of the tunnel, and that the using thin ply or similar over the top stretched over without a frame where the track underneath is, as due to limited room to ease gradients, most train lengths won't be any longer then your four coaches at most. Other then that it is a nice workable plan. If you have room to extend the width an extra foot you will find far more possibilities.
The ideal set up is a layout round the walls of the room with careful consideration for a lifting flap where the door is. (Flap needs to be quick to lift in an emergency, with care to ensure that it is not possible for flap to close after door is shut so one could get shut outside the room).

I truly wish I had the available space to do around the walls, but a very large window and a bed prevent me from doing so.

The tallest piece of stock I can think of ever having would be the breakdown crane, but that would never leave the yard area. Currently the maximum height is the cab roof of the Hall at 2 1/4" (that includes being on rails) I didn't want to make the height exact, so I figured 3" was decent enough space and elevation. It would be a 4% incline starting just outside the mouth of the tunnel on the forward side, and just outside the station points on the other side. The question would become can the locos haul 4 coaches up a 4% incline on a curve... I'd have to build half of this to see if they would, I'm mainly concerned about the hall with its light weight.
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:58 pm

concern validated... The hall is too light to haul 4 coaches up any kind of serious grade. The A3, N15, and 45xx run away with them though, no issues. I'll have to add weight to the hall over the drivers somehow if I go this route.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:34 pm

Would installing a magnetic adhesion system allow for those sluggish trains to haul a rake of four coaches up an incline?

Paul

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:05 pm

carnehan wrote:Would installing a magnetic adhesion system allow for those sluggish trains to haul a rake of four coaches up an incline?

Paul

All I had to do was press down with a small amount of force on the safety valve bonnet and it took them away up the hill. You're speaking of the DCC concepts products aren't you? I've been reading up on those. I would assume that it would do the trick.

had another revision of the single level plan as well. I copied the yard from the over/under one onto it and painted it up, it looks the part as well.

Decisions decisions

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:12 pm

redline41190 wrote:Decisions decisions

I am a master at indecision :lol:

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:31 pm

Dave wrote:
redline41190 wrote:Decisions decisions

I am a master at indecision :lol:

I'm approaching that... I truly can't decide. I feel like I should go for the level one just for the sake of simplicity and ease of access. Should something pop off in the back corner it'll be much easier to get to without being in a tunnel or whatnot.

But the over / under is so cool!

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:34 pm

That's the one Redline. Check out Western Centurion on YouTube. He has a number of videos on producing the system using magnets and metal strip from packing cases - works perfectly well at a fraction of the cost.

As to your two plans, I like them both. The figure 8 configuration adds something scenically with the height variation, tunnel mouths and disappearing trains round various corners. The oval offers a more traditional view of a layout but allows for greater variation in scenics and one of my favourite pieces on a layout - townscapes. The scenic break also gives space for loco storage off scene. It's a tough choice as to which one I'd go for. Hey! At least you have a plan! :lol:

Paul

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:11 pm

I've seen impressive high level layouts on YouTube that go over doorways etc. They run round the whole house!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:14 pm

I'm building a 7mm scale layout in 2ftx7ft... It will be an oval. Ok. 7mm scale but narrow gauge so it goes round the corners better.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:36 pm

I'm building a 7mm scale layout in 2ftx7ft... It will be an oval. Ok. 7mm scale but narrow gauge so it goes round the corners better.
I use cheap Hornby 0/4/0's and short wheelbase 0/6/0's to go round tight corners as donor locomotives for the Smallbrook Studio body kits. Can also scratch build a 7mm scale cab onto the donor loco and repaint... Cheaper!
If one sticks to short coaches like the Smallbrook or Peco coaches or scratchbuilt coaches to this size, they easily go round corners well.
So it may help on making a layout in a small space. Mine was to be 2ftx3½ft, but was too small for me, so I built a second board for my trains to enjoy!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”