Planning: OO Gauge Heritage Line (The S.H.H.R)

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
redline41190

Planning: OO Gauge Heritage Line (The S.H.H.R)

Postby redline41190 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:58 am

Updated: 27/12/16

Finally named and backstoried the thing after two weeks!

Set in the southern part of Herefordshire, The Southern Hereford Heritage Railway (S.H.H.R) runs along the former Hereford, Ross and Gloucester line 10.5 miles from Ross-on-Wye to Grange Court where it has a connection to the National Network. Although set on a former GWR line, and decidedly GWR themed, the S.H.H.R operates many different kind of preserved locomotives both steam and diesel, it also hosts other preserved engines from time to time.

Original Post:
Wow its been about 9 years since I last had any kind of thread in the layouts section. Can't believe how the time flies! I've been on and off with my modelling since then. Most of my rolling stock got sold off (very recently actually :\), but I've kept anything with an emotional connection. In my time lurking the forums, and due to the fact that I'm moving house soon and I'll have a spare room to build in! I figure its about time to get the old cogs turning and start actually planning, instead of just jumping into the "under construction". I have tons of inspiration from browsing so many threads, and spending so many nights up late researching what it is exactly I want to do.

The idea: Unlike my previous layout (if you could have even caledl it that), I'd like to do a freelance heritage line. It lets me run whatever I like, in whatever livery, from whatever region. It will be a somewhat small line, with a mainline connection since I'd like to run EMU/DMUs up to the same station and provide an easy way to see real preserved engines / special trains. Although it will probably be located upon former Western Region metals, just because I have a huge soft spot for the GWR / WR.

This will be a roundy-roundy, probably 4x6 or 4x8 nothing set in stone just yet. Ideally I'd like to have a purpose built extension to the table that would be a "TMD" and I quote that because it's not really a TMD, but more of a preservation/restoration hub (like the shed and yard area).

I'll be using and updating this thread as more ideas come to me and of course I always enjoy the help and suggestions by other members, not sure how many of the ones who commented on my old thread are still around but I'd love to chat with them all again! Next post coming shortly.

Regards from the USA
-Jeremy
Last edited by redline41190 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

redline41190

Re: Planning: OO Gauge Heritage Line

Postby redline41190 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:51 am

Alright had to give myself some more time to browse Hattons and fleabay for some motive power ideas. Being a "heritage" line I realize it should comprise mostly of steam engines, but I've grown fond of rail cars and some (and I stress the SOME) diesel engines.

Here is what I'm currently looking at as far as engines I own:

Hornby N15, 30798 "Sir Hectimere", had this commissioned my TMC a few years back
Hornby A3, 60049 "Galtee More", brought this one home from the UK when I visited in 2009
Bachmann 45xx, 4571 prairie tank, mom brought this one home from France in 2008

I've got a Hornby Hall Class on its way to me, haven't decided what to name it yet. Deciding between 4982 "Acton Hall", 4986 "Aston Hall", 4921 "Eaton Hall" or 4941 "Llangedwyn Hall". It is the Hall from the Tyesley Connection pack, which is an odd prototype considering it has the BR plate on the smokebox but currently painted in GWR green (I'll only be changing names/numbers), so if anyone has any specific recommendations I'd appreciate it!

So aside from the Hall, my steam *wish* list consists of the new Bachmann Stainer Mogul, a Hornby Black 5 for tender engines and some various tank engines (a Jinty for one!).

Now I venture into unknown territory... Diesels! I've seen tons of preserved lines' websites, most of them have a class 20 or 25 (or two or three of the things).

I'm thinking one Class 08, one Class 04, one Class 101 DMU set, and a Class 25. Does that sound about right for a small heritage line?

-Jeremy

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:30 am

Hi Jeremy
I don't know how long you've been Stateside but quite a few UK Heritage lines have a significant diesel presence, both DMUs and locos. A high proportion of volunteers grew up with first generation diesels, and they are very useful for running early morning and evening services whilst the steamers are being prep'd for service or for overnight stabling. There's a big advantage to diesels of all types, no boiler inspections and overhauls every ten years. Also it is fairly easy to find volunteers with diesel engine experience. As well as the standard BR classes it's also common to find various industrial diesels. There's an unwritten rule that says every heritage operation should have at least one breakdown crane awaiting restoration and possibly a "tamper" or other track maintenance machine in similar state.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:25 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Hi Jeremy
I don't know how long you've been Stateside but quite a few UK Heritage lines have a significant diesel presence, both DMUs and locos. A high proportion of volunteers grew up with first generation diesels, and they are very useful for running early morning and evening services whilst the steamers are being prep'd for service or for overnight stabling. There's a big advantage to diesels of all types, no boiler inspections and overhauls every ten years. Also it is fairly easy to find volunteers with diesel engine experience. As well as the standard BR classes it's also common to find various industrial diesels. There's an unwritten rule that says every heritage operation should have at least one breakdown crane awaiting restoration and possibly a "tamper" or other track maintenance machine in similar state.

Been here my whole life actually (I'd love to move over there though!).Yeah I figured they'd be pretty prevalent these days, almost more abundant than the steam engines. Being that the line is on the "smaller" side, figuring about 10 or so miles of a made up short-line, I think 4-5 will be plenty including the rail car. Honestly I may hardly run the steam engines, the N15 is a nuisance about sharper curves, the A3 is massive, so that leaves the 45xx and the Hall to run trains aside from the diesels. Hornby's new sentinel has caught my eye as well. So I think 5-6 diesel engines and 7 steam engines is a fair balance.

The breakdown crane is a great idea! I love those old steam behemoth cranes, I'm thinking a wickham trolley type thing too for track maintenance and whatnot. I'll clearly need a ballast hopper or two as well.

Heritage lines typically have a mishmash of coaches don't they? I've currently only got 4 BR(S) maunsell coaches and I'll have three BR(W) chocolate and creams on the way shortly as well, I also have a BR MK1 Pullman coach. Probably gonna end up with about 20 different ones, shoved onto various sidings :lol:

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:01 am

Spent some time tonight drawing up a first draft of a track plan... I used R3 curves so that *hopefully* I don't have any issues with the N15 and its fiddly front bogey.

The idea is to use the station/shed side as a very detailed side and the other side much more empty and plain. The station itself will probably be a bit larger than the picture. There will be a platform shelter on the opposing side also.

Not all of the rolling stock will sit on the layout at all times (engines anyway), so i figure the shed needs to be big enough to hold four engines at any given time, the class 08 / class 04 diesels / small steam engines will probably live in the bay platform. This is not the "main station" of the line, it is the "middle station", and even though the "steam shed" and some sidings are here there are other sheds *elsewhere* on the line (where the Class 25s and the DMU will "live).

I was considering doing one side as the middle station and the other as the "top station" with all the sheds and such there, but I'd much much rather try my hand at modelling some countryside!!

Input from others is always lovely, clearly I'm still very open to ideas :)

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:20 am

redline41190 wrote: Input from others is always lovely,

Hello and welcome redline. I'm going to take you at your word...

First thought when faced with a solid board layout (or a Devil's tablecloth, though yours is more compact than many)
is how much access room is available/needed around the outside of the layout, and whether some of that that would not be better used as an access/operating are *inside* the layout, giving a better view, easier track curves etc.

There can be good reasons for a single board, but one shouldn't be adopted by default, not when better options for the *overall* space may exist.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:43 pm

Emettman wrote:
redline41190 wrote: Input from others is always lovely,

Hello and welcome redline. I'm going to take you at your word...

First thought when faced with a solid board layout (or a Devil's tablecloth, though yours is more compact than many)
is how much access room is available/needed around the outside of the layout, and whether some of that that would not be better used as an access/operating are *inside* the layout, giving a better view, easier track curves etc.

There can be good reasons for a single board, but one shouldn't be adopted by default, not when better options for the *overall* space may exist.

Chris

Ah very true!

I have thought about doing something with smaller 4x2 boards and leaving a space in the middle to sit in and play trains. However I'm not sure of the exact space I will have and in a year will most likely be moving again. So I'd like it to be pretty portable.

I figure to have one of the short sides against a wall with access around the other three it should be fine, that way I should be able to access all aspects of it from any one side if any derailments occur.

Jeremy

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:59 pm

Two sides against the wall, with the long lost access corridor internalised and the "plain track" section narrowed (and including a flap or lifting section)...
...could give a good station on two adjacent boards, with the other two boards being not so much to sacrifice if a move needs a shape or size adaptation.

Or a 6x4 (-ish) as a U, with a 4ft (ish) viaduct which drops in to complete the oval when round and round running is wanted..
Again, it's likely that at least two of the major boards would survive a move to an alternate location.

Just opening other possibilities for consideration.
"Right" is what's right for you.

Chris

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:26 am

Hmmm that does sound interesting, I'll have to have another go in anyrail tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

The U Shape provides the ability to have two station areas and I like the lift out viaduct idea, it allows for continuous running if I want to, or I can just lift it out and run station to station.

Either way, I'd like the whole thing to be central to a room so that most of it is accessible, except maybe one side.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:18 pm

redline41190 wrote:Either way, I'd like the whole thing to be central to a room so that most of it is accessible, except maybe one side.

That's popular in America, where they generally have more room,
and more viewing sides is an advantage there's regularly going be an audience.
(Which for exhibition layouts can change a design priority as to the "best view" side: not necessarily the operator's view!)

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:24 pm

Emettman wrote:
redline41190 wrote:Either way, I'd like the whole thing to be central to a room so that most of it is accessible, except maybe one side.

That's popular in America, where they generally have more room,
and more viewing sides is an advantage there's regularly going be an audience.
(Which for exhibition layouts can change a design priority as to the "best view" side: not necessarily the operator's view!)

Indeed we do tend to have bigger rooms here, I am considering something else. Gonna get on and make a new design here in a few. I know its getting late over there.

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:19 am

somewhat (considerably) revised... Made it quit a bit more simple, platform intended to hold 4 coaches + loco.

As I stated I'd really like to have an engine shed area, but I'll just make that its own little add on / diorama. This allows for running of two trains one "up" one "down"

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:00 pm

I wonder if, by adding a small curved peice of track (not a quarter circle piece) from the point going into the goods siding effectively bending that track before a striaght piece would give you a longer goods siding in the same place? Or a bent then straight peice of flexitrack would work again for the same result. By the look of the diagram it looks like you'd only be able to fit 2 wagons on the siding. Bending it would increase the space for goods traffic.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:51 pm

What have you done to your curves, there, to get inside 2' 6"?

If you want to alternate two trains, it can be best to have the necessary passing loop hidden.

This can do more. (It is of course only a suggestion. I've used R2 as a minimum which has needed more depth.

The hidden passing loop will hold 30" trains as will he traverser track, but the locos have to be kept separately (shorter lower 3rd track.)
This should allow two passenger trains and two train's worth of goods stock.
If the bay line were 6" longer it could take a single car DMU or single carriage push-pull steam set, but the station building would then end up less conventional position. As it is the bay is more for goods vans.

The long goods siding could allow for a kickback to a single track small engine shed, but such a small station would not usually have this.

Just thinking, around what you seemed to be looking for.
Chris,

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi redline. A Heritage Line. A great use for Airfix/Dapol kits in the yard/shed area. All not quite running and waiting for some TLC from 'volunteers'. Don't forget the 'old' freight wagons and a breakdown train. Here is a photograph taken at Beamish Museum, County Durham.
SAM_0461.JPG
SAM_0461.JPG (107 KiB) Viewed 803 times

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”