Second Layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
CrispyChris

Second Layout

Postby CrispyChris » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:45 pm

Hi,

So, about to make a start on my second layout, track plan attached. Appreciate any comments observations before I committ!

Thanks,
Chris
Attachments
Grandview4.jpg
Grandview4.jpg (120.21 KiB) Viewed 951 times

End2end

Re: Second Layout

Postby End2end » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:54 pm

I personally think that's a really well thought out layout. Lots of operational interest in the way of shunting plus the ability to watch trains go by. :D
I take it it's N gauge? I think the only thing (and I'm being picky here) to add would be another small station on the upper most straights to the left of the lake. Perhaps branching the road off to meet the other station?
I think you'll have a lot of fun with it. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

CrispyChris

Postby CrispyChris » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi EndtoEnd,
Yes it is N gauge, it's just over 6 foot each way. I had thought about about another station along the rear. Currently the rear straights are on an embankment where I can watch good length trains go by. You hit on exactly what I was trying to achieve which is the option of watching trains go by but with some freight shunting operations. There is also the small deposit area where I can show off my growing collection of diesels.

Chris

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:02 pm

Hi Chris, quite a good plan, I would only say, make the roadway along the back straight removable so that you can get at the tracks below, and do a "reach test" for those tracks at the rear of the 3' deep section. In particular make sure that when you reach over to the rear you don't crush items at the front of the layout. A kick-stool may be useful at times.
John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:33 am

CrispyChris wrote:You hit on exactly what I was trying to achieve which is the option of watching trains go by but with some freight shunting operations.
Chris

The mainline looks fine for showing trains, using the layout shape to best advantage but can I suggest that the capacity for changing trains seems low, for the space?
With two passenger trains running there is no room fora a goods train, and there is only one bay platform to get a passenger train out of the way.
(Are the passenger trains loco-hauled or multiple units?)

A 3-4 platform terminus roughly where the upper goods area now is could store 3-4 passenger trains and feed and receive them to and from both tracks and both sides of the lower 180 curve. This would allow the loco yard to stay in much the same place.

I realise this is a different picture (only the mainline has not been changed!) but I think it could deliver more train capacity with easier changing of trains.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

CrispyChris

Postby CrispyChris » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:41 pm

Thanks for the input Chris, I'm intrigued by your thoughts.
I am running mainly DMUs and starting to build a collection of freight locos.

Are you saying to ditch the through station in favour of a terminus where my freight yard currently is?

CrispyChris

Postby CrispyChris » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:27 pm

Slight variation to the plan to add a couple of terminating lines behind the through station.
Attachments
Grandview5.jpg
Grandview5.jpg (166.21 KiB) Viewed 890 times

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:20 am

Here's a quick sketch. (using Kato pointwork: I wan't sure what you had in mind, or whether you would be left or right-hand running.)

It could be more compact, and refined, showing roughly what the bottom loop would look like with a 4-track terminus feeding and receiving from both main lines
No other points on the main lines would be needed, except by choice.
The loco depot is roughly as you have it. Room for plenty of variations including a DMU/carriage siding or two alongside.

I have ideas of a couple of places the freight yard might go, keeping about the same size,
but here you already have the capacity for four trains to sit clear of the main line, or any two of them to run completely unencumbered.

If of interest, let me know you preferred track system and I will try and develop the suggestion a little.
Just a suggestion.

edit: that's the trouble with ideas.. you sleep on them and have better ones.
Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:29 pm

Really good plan. The only alteration I can suggest are shunting spurs to allow yard shunting and double up as safety if a wagon rolled away from the yard areas. On the prototype such shunting spurs were essential, or at the very least a trap point (Or was it a catch point.. Trying to remember the differences :mrgreen: ) ) to prevent a runaway wagon heading up the main line.
Other then that, it looks a fine idea of a plan.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:22 pm

A great plan - from my own experience the only thing I would add is a fiddle yard; somewhere for trains to go, and a way to store more trains. Is there scope for some loops on the RHS straight under the road? Anyway, please do keep us updated with progress once you start to build :D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”