WHAT Next?

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
whynot

WHAT Next?

Postby whynot » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:37 pm

Having failed to be excited with 0 16.5 (now sold on!), "what next?" is on my mind.

Hours on scarm, browsing others' layouts for much needed inspiration (and ignoring the nagging "is there any point?" question) and sorting out what I already have has brought me to 2 options (so far). Both of the narrow 6' x 5' L-shape.

For 00, what is an enhanced (run round) Inglenook shunter. I have 4 points, rolling stock, 2 locos (tho' neither really suitable) and most of the buildings, so minimal initial costs of maybe 50 quid.

N possibility obviously greater potential in relative space! I have rolling stock and 2 locos. Trackwork would set me back c. £175 (tho' could be done in phases) and buildings etc upwards of say £75. Run-of-the-mill branch terminus to (scenic) fiddle yard. Sufficient space for run-round at each end.

If money were no object, then still pretty much the same two basic options but in US outline. But it isn't...

Can't yet see a favourite....plan on....
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

SR/ScR Fan

Re: WHAT Next?

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:03 pm

I have to agree Dave, neither of them really inspire me! :(

How wide are the boards? Do you mind if I try some virtual track laying on your behalf?

whynot

Postby whynot » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:33 pm

Thanks Rob - and sorry for delay, been on Isle of Bute/Rothesay for a "birthday break"! Have you ever seen the restored Wemyss Bay Rail Station - it is simply amazing!

Plans? All advice welcome! Size is essentially 60" x 12" plus 60" x 18", so the long side can be in effect 72" x 18", with the narrow board as some sort of fiddle yard.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

Mattc6911

Postby Mattc6911 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:11 pm

Go mad, combine the two and go 009 :lol: Ok I'm goin I'm goin !!! :twisted:

Cheers

Matt

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:54 pm

whynot wrote:Plans? All advice welcome! Size is essentially 60" x 12" plus 60" x 18", so the long side can be in effect 72" x 18", with the narrow board as some sort of fiddle yard.

I'll have a try. I have a thought (in OO) to get more operation/movement with two different unconnected levels
The upper, basically a shuttle possibly with passing loop at station for passenger services (DMU or Push-pull)
While on the lower level the earlier mineral line terminus has a quayside gong round to a fiddle yard.

In N a three level Mineral-Docks line would just be possible
High: on wide board back: Mineral source.
Middle; on narrow board: terminus principally to reverse direction of mineral trains. Possibly with stone finishing or other processing works.
Low: on wide board front. Quayside terminus.

Passenger traffic mainly a work train or two unless modelled as a preserved line: less freight and dirt, more gift shops and ice-cream kiosks.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

whynot

Postby whynot » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:03 pm

Thanks chaps.

"Go mad, combine the two and go 009 :lol: Ok I'm goin I'm goin !!! :twisted:"

Not in the slightest - 009 would actually be my ideal, but cost is prohibitive. I know I can't build kits (especially locos) to a standard that I find acceptable and RTR (again especially locos and which would have to be H0e "continental" outline) very pricey.

Problem with N is running qualities of small locos - new diesels are apparently better, but (again!) it's a question of expenditure. And none of my rolling stock would be right era, so that'd be another few '00 quids!

US outline N would I think be best for running abilities, but.....as above!

Guess I've talked myself back to minimal 00 - cheap an' that.

Usual fount of ideas, Emettman - I had toyed with possibility of "two level" - even in a small space it adds visual interest.

I must think harder....
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:46 pm

On OO9, done as tramway locos, a 3D printed loco body on a Japanese motor bogie can be £30- £40.
http://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/?tag=oo9

Here's a sketch for the OO 2 level idea.

The high level can have 2 Push-pull or DMU units provided they stop and pass at the loop.
Alternately reduce that to one unit plain track and a single-faced halt to give more scenic space.

The lower dockside is the main interest,with the curved hidden track representing the "old line" which went up the valley rather than across it.
This also gets in storage for another train.
Sector plate, traverser or cassettes for fiddle yard.

Chris

whynot

Postby whynot » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:56 pm

Thank you, Chris. Inventive as ever. I shall explore this one further!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:16 pm

Not being good for much else today, I had another play or two.
I tried in N putting a mine to reversing junction to quaside line together, but even in N it looked horribly crowded.

It then occurred that my previous drawing could be revised so that both the quayside and mine/quarry were off stage and only the reversing half-way station was modelled.

This came out...

One massive advantage: loaded minerals can come down to the station (via dotted brown track and then disappear to the docks.
Empty minerals can them come up from the docks reverse and head up towards the mine. (two rakes, taking clockwise and anticlockwise routes.

The fiddle yard was my idea of having it easy: an 18" single track 2-position traverser with, at its end, a 6" two position loco traverser, the two sharing a pivot point at their lower end. It would work! Or a cassette system would also serve if preferred.

If using the traverser I'd be looking to see if I could get a train-length storage line, hidden, between the brown and blue curves upper left.
I think that should be possible.

Chris

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”