And So, It Begins !!

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
NakatsuHime

And So, It Begins !!

Postby NakatsuHime » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:09 pm

As you all may have gathered by now, I have been pummeling a layout design into submission, and I think I can now, more or less, freeze the design.

http://i.imgsafe.org/32e4e61cc4.jpg

The only aspects that may need to change when virtual design becomes physical will probably be siding lengths, for reasons of senic looks and 'realism'. Apart from that, it is a single main-line loop, with two passing-loops and a spur station stop. There is a goods yard complex, as there needs to be - by law - on any UK model railway design, and - off the rear passsing-loop - more stock storage sidings.

Technically, it will be an 80s-era layout, based in Devon somewhere, but this location only really exists to give me the excuse to run a class-52 without people pointing and laughing at me. The sidings to the bottom left of the goods yard will be for the use of the local restoration group. This is so I can run steam motive power (without those same people pointing and laughing at me a second time).

Of course, when you lot see the actual track laid, it will probably be completely different. But, that's life.

Emettman

Re: And So, It Begins !!

Postby Emettman » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:24 pm

NakatsuHime wrote:As you all may have gathered by now, I have been pummeling a layout design into submission, and I think I can now, more or less, freeze the design.

Yes, I can see how you got there!

I would strongly suggest, given the odd little sign on the drawing of you "squeezing" the curves, using rigid track pieces of varied radii down to your minimum acceptable to form that outer oval and the curved parts of the outer loops.

It is also possible, but it will depend on your experience and confidence, to trim a few mm off the length of the points, allowing curves to be started that tiny bit earlier.
Particularly with the two points up and left on your diagram, that could make an appreciable difference.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

NakatsuHime

Postby NakatsuHime » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:50 pm

Emettman wrote:
NakatsuHime wrote:As you all may have gathered by now, I have been pummeling a layout design into submission, and I think I can now, more or less, freeze the design.

Yes, I can see how you got there!
I would strongly suggest, given the odd little sign on the drawing of you "squeezing" the curves, using rigid track pieces of varied radii down to your minimum acceptable to form that outer oval and the curved parts of the outer loops.
It is also possible, but it will depend on your experience and confidence, to trim a few mm off the length of the points, allowing curves to be started that tiny bit earlier.
Particularly with the two points up and left on your diagram, that could make an appreciable difference.
Chris

I shall do all I can to minimise those curves :)
However, if during operation, something jumps off, all reports will be suppressed!

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:21 pm

NakatsuHime wrote:
I shall do all I can to minimise those curves :)
However, if during operation, something jumps off, all reports will be suppressed!

Maximise?

I've build layouts with track (commercially made) down to 10" radius, but that decidedly puts limits on the locos and stock that are happy with such.
Saves a lot of space, though! One more possible trade off.

Two sets of Peco short Y points. One pair "trimmed". Where things are tight, every little bit can help.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

NakatsuHime

Postby NakatsuHime » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:08 am

Indeed. I should imagine I will have to put strict speed-limits on those sections, and not buy a Deltic.

NakatsuHime

Postby NakatsuHime » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:19 pm

Just to let you all know...

I managed to add another 9 inches to my baseboard's depth. This moved all my loops' bends out of the danger zone, and now all my stock is cleared on that route, even the prime offenders, those being my class-37 and my LMS class-4P.

Therefore, thus ends this planning thread, and the birth of a new construction thread.
Doubles all round!!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”