HO Marklin two level collapsible layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
slalom

HO Marklin two level collapsible layout

Postby slalom » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:39 pm

Hi all I am building a layout in the spare bedroom, but it has to remain that so, I now i have a draft layout and I am trialling the lower layer on a temporary base board.

The plan is for Marklin M on the base and Marklin C on the ramps and upper layers. I need a little more Marklin M and then I will flesh out the C plans

test bed.JPG
The test set up, to build slowly and test the geometry before adding the up ramps, Base layer green and Purple for M track interface
test bed.JPG (85.54 KiB) Viewed 827 times

With ramps.JPG
The next phase the ramps to the higher level Blue for Ramps, Up ramp about 2% down ramp about 3%
With ramps.JPG (102.95 KiB) Viewed 827 times

Top layer .JPG
The top layer which I may decorate in Yellow this time, a mountain Railway is planed in Blue.
Top layer .JPG (92.72 KiB) Viewed 827 times

All.JPG
Shows both layers
All.JPG (145.43 KiB) Viewed 827 times

I have used Scarm to design this and I look forward to using some of SouthernBoy's ideas.

The bottom layer will be functional. The top layer is quite a bit higher 150mm/6".

Status
1 Temporary Base set up, 5' X 8' on two tables with flexible length legs 60-90cm.
2 All rolling stock tested on C Track
3 Testing and learning M track foibles. Caused a re-plan as it is a royal pain to move it at the far end of the board. Currently have the outside circuit established, and trying to get M Track Flat..

N.B M track looks indestructible, but it changes shape if enough weight is used. I have a box of stuff which does not lie flat, etc....

slalom

Re: HO Marklin two level collapsible layout

Postby slalom » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:23 am

After a few false starts (M track is too time consuming) and a lot of delays this is the set up:
Bottom Layer with ramps:
Bottom Layer.JPG

There is a notch to give access and the area to front and right are for controls.

Top layer with ramps
Top layer .JPG

This is a lot simpler and has a small station a slow track and fast track.

The mountain railway with Top Layer
Mountain rail.JPG

This leaves the station and Climbs it is in k track industrial curve which is too tight for most of my stock of engines and carriages.

Structure three layers - two similar three panels left rear (LR), bridge and right rear (RR), and for Left and right, inner and Outer (LO,LI, RI and RO) all the panels are of a similar size. The mountain railway starts in the Bridge panel climbs over LR, LO and Li is on a viaduct / Bridge on the Bridge panel before climbing on LR to the summit.

Most of LR is under a mountain, foothills / higher ground will conceal the ramps.

This is all Marklin C track except the mountain Railway.

I plan to have webcams to give the concealed rail runs a bit of visibility.

Progress:
The bottom layer is almost fixed, just LR remains, I am starting the top layer panels, but most of these include ramps, meaning complications, the long upramp on the outside runs too close to the edge, i have to redesign or create an elaborate solution.

NedFlanders

Postby NedFlanders » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:05 am

Holy Moly - That looks Spectacular!! :shock:

Any photos yet?

Ned.
Getting back into railways, one step at a time.

Chops

Postby Chops » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:35 am

I do not believe the Manhattan Subway System boasts a more complex scheme.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”