Gantsville - Planning an HO Inglenook

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
nickbrad

Re: Gantsville - Planning an HO Inglenook

Postby nickbrad » Mon May 23, 2016 11:41 am

Next layout?? Will this be coming soon or is it a long term idea? Will it be something completely new or fit in with TYS? So many questions coming to mind.

Going back to the couplings though, the SW9 came with none, just a tiny screw hole where they should be so I literally have a clean slate to work from, nothing I need to make sure of compatibility with. Even my Bachmann old timer combine which was destined for some pretty serious bashing to become a british outline tramway coach has some awful couplings which I suspect are the same hornhooks you mention. I may now reconsider the future for this coach, but either way, the plastic wheels have to go.

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Mon May 23, 2016 12:20 pm

I have a couple of ideas. One is related to TYS, the other is American but very different. Long time at the mo, as the current exhibition diary is keeping me busy.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon May 23, 2016 2:06 pm

Well, I just got a reminder from ebay about leaving feedback for the SW9, so I thought I should actually test it before deciding on my feedback.

Out came the 2nd radius circle of track I have, along with an old Hornby R912 plugged in to it.
Result, this thing runs like a dream. It's nice and quiet with a slow crawl, even though the track hasn't been cleaned at all yet. Just coming up on 20 minutes running, gonna let it cool a bit just in case, then go in the other direction so I know it's had a solid running in.

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Mon May 23, 2016 2:10 pm

American HO mechanisms are sometimes among the best. I set up a circle of R2, let it run for 30 mins in both directions. Solid running in!

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon May 23, 2016 2:18 pm

It's now headed off in the opposite direction, the washing machine upstairs is drowning out any sound from the loco lol. I do have a full R3 circle I could have gone with, but it's better to test it on the tighter curves as that's what the points will end up being.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Tue May 24, 2016 4:34 pm

Well, I thought that today would see the end of the planning section and a start in the "Under Construction" part of the forum, but I have one issue to resolve and that is one of width.

I had planned for a 2ft wide baseboard and was going to go the cheap option of a pack of Loft floor boards, cut and connected to give me the length I wanted with the width. Upon trying to lift them though, I quickly realised that it would be a 2 person job moving the layout and so went for plan B, a couple of pieces of Celotex, measuring 1200mm x 450mm. Now, I have to decide on whether to go for the simpler option of 1530mm length x 450mm and cut back on scenery, or to cut one of the pieces lengthways to add on 150mm to the front, which means relying on my ability to cut a long straight line by hand.

I can still fit the scenic features I want more or less onto 450mm, but it means losing 2nd Ave NW from the front and only having the gravel track along the front of the building. To the rear I am planning a tree line rather than the buildings that exist in real life so that's not an issue, I just wish that someone made a backscene with bare winter trees on, not just the summer greenery we're used to seeing.

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Tue May 24, 2016 9:05 pm

It's a tough one, but I think a gravel track could work very well along the front. I think it's a worthy sacrifice if it removes the chance of doing your back in.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Wed May 25, 2016 9:32 pm

Another day, another revision.

I've settled on the 450mm width, but an observation elsewhere regarding the Y point has brought about the change. The prototype location doesn't have a Y point and they aren't very common in the US, certainly not in the NC area, so I have decided the small space saving doesn't warrant it's use. 4cm isn't something to be sniffed at, but I had it to spare on the far end anyway, since I switched to using longer cars and allowing switching to take place over the crossing. (The plan was to use the road crossing as the switching limit with 40ft cars.)

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:32 pm

Ok, so the baseboard has been assembled, (Celotex on a wooden support frame,) I guess the next thing is to start up a thread detailing it's construction...... but I am afraid that has to wait. I am off to the TVNAM show next weekend, (11th June,) for some more visual stimulus and to hopefully pick up some additional scenic items before I start. One of these is a pack or 2 of kadees as some of my rolling stock currently have no couplings and others have very old, incompatible ones. It may seem like procrastination, (I guess it is in a way,) but I see little sense in rushing ahead with the build when I cannot even shunt the wagons/switch the cars.

One other thing I am undecided on is whether to cover the celotex with a layer of cork or not, (for additional scenic relief and to allow me to sink the building into the scenery, not for acoustic properties,) also I need to look more into copydex and how people use it to secure track, ie neat or watered down, a solid covering or dots every couple of inches etc. A forum search doesn't seem to actually cover this question although frequent mention can be found of others using it.

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:48 pm

Looking forward to meeting you Nick.

With the copydex, use it neat. I go the full length of the piece of track I am gluing down. Then plenty of weight on the track to hold it in place.

I have no experience with cork I'm afraid. No very helpful I know!

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:19 pm

Cheers mate and no worries about the cork, realistically I don't really need it as I will build the line up slightly behind the tracks with polystyrene anyway. If I decide to build in a slight drop off at the front, I can easily carve it from the Celotex.

If using neat, I may have to get more Copydex though as 125ml isn't going to go all that far I fear. Being able to potentially reclaim the track easily is my main priority though.

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:25 pm

Copydex comes up really easily. You will have no problem reclaiming track.

I use the little bottle with the brush in the lid. Still have the same bottle from a year ago... :)

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:41 pm

Still watching, but nothing to say at present.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:55 pm

Cheers Geoff, hopefully in a week or so I shall actually have something comment worthy, I was more concerned with letting people know I hadn't lost my initial enthusiasm for the project and that progress is imminent. I have been very guilty in the past of getting fired up for my languishing Budgetbrooke line, but to be honest, the lack of room to permanently erect it, plus a temporary wiring issue caused it to be sidelined. By restricting this to 153cm I can keep it up on my sideboard permanently with one flick of a switch, I can instantly be away. This is one thing I will give credit to Lance Mindheim for recognising in his blog.

I could technically cheat once my next package arrives as I will have the 6 pieces of rolling stock necessary to carry out the shunting puzzle, albeit by hand due to the aforementioned lack of couplings. Barring minor details, I have set myself the deadline of completing this model by the end of June so once I get going, progress should be rather swift.

Just a quick edit to mention, this is the kind of thing I'd eventually like to replicate for the backscene.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”