Ideas for 00 on my layout area

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Col

Ideas for 00 on my layout area

Postby Col » Sun May 15, 2016 4:10 pm

Thought I'd post this in this section as I posted in the welcome thread without thinking.
Anyway here's a sketch of the area available to me.
A must is a mainline for the Flying Scotsman but also incorporating other ideas too, thanks all.
Attachments
20160515_131056.000.jpg
20160515_131056.000.jpg (15.4 KiB) Viewed 1158 times

Emettman

Re: Ideas for 00 on my layout area

Postby Emettman » Sun May 15, 2016 6:38 pm

Am thinking.
Haven't had any useful conventional ideas as yet, but one or two unconventional ones might work out.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Col

Postby Col » Sun May 15, 2016 6:54 pm

Thanks Emettman I look forward to what you come up with ?
Iv given up on my Newby over keen ideas and returned to reality.
I love country side with church ruins and water like ponds , lakes or rivers and maybe even a steelworks shunting yard?
Most important is the Flying Scotsman mainline.
I'm doing a lot of reading but still haven't come up with anything.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sun May 15, 2016 11:00 pm

Col wrote:Thanks Emettman I look forward to what you come up with ?
Iv given up on my Newby over keen ideas and returned to reality.
I love country side with church ruins and water like ponds , lakes or rivers and maybe even a steelworks shunting yard?
Most important is the Flying Scotsman mainline.
I'm doing a lot of reading but still haven't come up with anything.

The door hinging that way is a pain. Any chance of hinging it from the other side, into the room, or have it hinge outwards into the hallway(?)
Or replacing it with a sliding door?

Chris

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon May 16, 2016 10:26 am

OK, first idea, not finished.

The unusual thought here, to fulfill the brief in the space is to have two unconnected railways.
It's not that unrealistic for numerous places in hilly country: a little mineral line went up the valley, and the later express line crossed it on a viaduct.

So there's an extensive double track mainline: it's level but as the ground wildly isn't the track goes from tunnel to viaduct via embankment and cutting.
It's there to let two long trains run. Pausing out of sight in the top left corner, if desired.

Deeper in the valley, in the shadow of viaducts, and ducking through the same hills is a little mineral line running from the source quarry or mine down to a tiny quayside.
(something low volume but highly valuable it must be...)
A limited passenger service would be mainly for workers. Perhaps one set of dirty coaches plus a railcar?

The village/town would rise from the station lower left to fill that loop area on a removable board to give access to the corner.
Access to the top right corner is one of the things I'm not happy with yet.

It may be possible to get more space and more spectacle by giving the mainline gradients (at more construction complexity) and lifting the outer lines upper left so that the inside lines there can sit under them. (with the single track lower still)
A figure of 8 mainline would also be possible but I suspect not so successful scenically.
The mainline could be single track, in which case a long hidden passing loop would enable two trains to take turn on it.
A bit of space saving would result, perhaps allowing for an extra siding or two on the mineral line.

Yes, this is odd.
But it might just work: trains in a wild landscape.

Out of the tunnel and under the viaduct:

If this seems at all on the right lines I can develop variations. if not, I'll think again.

Chris

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon May 16, 2016 2:01 pm

A single track version, but with a long hidden passing loop so two trains can still take turns on the mainline.
The extra room eases everything a little.

Tracks still level, on two levels: the gradients were a little severe, and building inclined viaducts is only considered fun by unusual people.

Viaducts over a quayside: possibly the most spectacular (someone will know of better) at Calstock

http://colonelstephenssociety.co.uk/onewebstatic/5f90eaca7f-COL-PDS6.jpg-for-web-large.jpg

The was a wagon lift to take wagons vertically from the quay to a siding at the viaduct level.

Chris

Col

Postby Col » Mon May 16, 2016 6:42 pm

Wow you have been busy Emettman, and I'm liking the way your going with it ?
Unfortunately the door is not an option at the moment to change , but I'll look at that possibly at a later date.
I read and reread what you said so that I understood it, and like the ideas. Keeping it simple and on dc is what I'd like to do so single lines with their own power sounds ideal.
It all sounds difficult for a first attempt at this but I'm willing to give it a go as it does sound like a good scene, and hopefully I'd be able to make a respectable job of it?
As its fictional and we need a mine that produces something valuable I had a lightbulb moment remembering a very good series years ago.
A saphron mine might ring a bell to some on here? At least I think it was saphron? Mark Williams built a garden railway and I never missed it, very enjoyable.
This is going to be a long term project that I have mixed feelings about. On one hand I'm excited about this and want to make a start, yet on the other hand I'm hesitant thinking of the time and cost over this time, with being a total beginner at the top of this list.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue May 17, 2016 5:47 pm

Thank you for your kind words.

I've had a mull, and I can't think of anything obviously better than the single line version, but could wish for some comment by other old hands here with comments or alternates.

Next steps?
If it were me, I'd cover the rooms floor with opened-out and taped cardboard boxes, or reversed spare wallpaper or...
And draw out the shape of the layout fairly carefully and the track fairly roughly, to get first feel of the full-size effect.
The next is to work out what size of access hole you would need to be happy to duck under and come up through to gain access to the more remote corners.
if those two I've marked are far too small, there are other possibilities I have thought of, though not quite as simple..

Next, work out what could be done most easily and neatly to provide the good under-layout storage that was requested.
Big plastic storage units on wheels, or cupboards, chests of drawers and bookshelves.
If these latter were all from the same range of student bedroom furniture (say) with matching heights then the majority of the hefty baseboard construction could be done with there and then.
To give a rpugh idea of what I have in mind, this is something I built for a hospital's childrens' ward.

As it happens the whole thing was on castors, so it could be moved for cleaning.
The top was just 1/2" chipboard reinforced underneath where the sheet "bridged" between units.

But that's just my thinking...

Chris

roganty

Postby roganty » Wed May 18, 2016 1:02 am

Col wrote:As its fictional and we need a mine that produces something valuable I had a lightbulb moment remembering a very good series years ago.
A saphron mine might ring a bell to some on here? At least I think it was saphron? Mark Williams built a garden railway and I never missed it, very enjoyable.

Col,

I remember watching that program. After a quick google, I found out it was by Mark Found, and found the series online. He has a youtube channel, but they are all on his website http://www.markfound.com/#!garden-railway---all-episodes/c4f8

The episode he mentions the saphron (saffron??) mine in is episode 3 - water features.

Anthony

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Wed May 18, 2016 8:52 am

There's always Unobtanium, which comes in a variety of forms.

"During the reign of Elizabeth I (1533–1603), Borrowdale graphite was used as a refractory material to line moulds for cannonballs, resulting in rounder, smoother balls that could be fired farther, contributing to the strength of the English navy. This particular deposit of graphite was extremely pure and soft, and could easily be broken into sticks. Because of its military importance, this unique mine and its production were strictly controlled by the Crown."

Found this video while looking for images.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uXL9D-KtxY

As mines go, this one (not Borrowdale) is nicely minimalistic.

Col

Postby Col » Tue May 24, 2016 12:04 am

roganty wrote:
Col wrote:As its fictional and we need a mine that produces something valuable I had a lightbulb moment remembering a very good series years ago.

Col,

I remember watching that program. After a quick google, I found out it was by Mark Found, and found the series online. He has a youtube channel, but they are all on his website http://www.markfound.com/#!garden-railway---all-episodes/c4f8

The episode he mentions the saphron (saffron??) mine in is episode 3 - water features.

Anthony

Thanks for that, my memory isn't that good :-)

Col

Postby Col » Tue May 24, 2016 12:10 am

Interesting stuff Emettman I'm still thinking and not doing though .
Work is getting in the way but should be able to make a start soon.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”