Cheadle Bay - N Gauge in the round

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
PinkNosedPenguin

Re: Cheadle Bay - N Gauge in the round

Post by PinkNosedPenguin »

I like option 1 in your recent set of 3 plans - a two-road bi-directional fiddle yard hidden under scenery 8)
Kentishman

Post by Kentishman »

McScooby wrote:Another tweak: -

You could make this into an end-to-end layout with a continuous run in the middle. DMU / 14xx with auto coach leaves platform at rear siding, at the first points takes the inside loop, goes round then takes the outer loop and into the front left sidings which have become the second station. Place a hill between the front and back stations that also gives the excuse for a tunnel and you have quite a satisfying little layout. You could even put in an extra point on the back siding / station to provide two platforms and a mix of three trains shuttling between them - just an idea.
McScooby

Post by McScooby »

Thanks for all the replies and ideas, got too many ideas running round my head now. :-)

I'm going to measure up my space again and where I can store it when not in use, if I can fit in the slight bigger base board in I'm going get that built as regardless of the plan that is kind of fixed.

I can then play around with what track I've got and see if it's entertaining enough or I need to add more and create one of the other plans. I'll post later hopefully if the bigger base board can be used.
42! What sort of answer is 42!
McScooby

Post by McScooby »

After a recheck of my space for running the layout but more importantly storing it I can get a 85cm by 70 cm board. I'm going to do some more tests but think I'm going to get my base board sorted in the next couple of weeks then start playing trains with what I've got before committing to a final plan.

Now can I do two baseboards and store them......... 8)
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

McScooby wrote: ...then start playing trains with what I've got before committing to a final plan.
Sounds like a plan.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

McScooby wrote: ...then start playing trains with what I've got before committing to a final plan.
Tut tut, - Essential research into the operational possibilities
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
McScooby

Post by McScooby »

Bufferstop wrote:
Tut tut, - Essential research into the operational possibilities
Sorry not use to the proper terminology yet :D , only use to working with IT, have you tried turning it off and back on again? Are you sure there is paper in the printer? I think it might be a PIBCAK issue! :mrgreen:
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

McScooby wrote:Sorry not use to the proper terminology yet :D , only use to working with IT, have you tried turning it off and back on again? Are you sure there is paper in the printer? I think it might be a PIBCAK issue! :mrgreen:
That was a new one on me, when I bailed out we used to close calls with the tag OTATSP, the O was operator. I've still got the BOFH tee shirt, bit loose on me these days.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
McScooby

Post by McScooby »

Can't beat a good BOFH story off the Register. :-)

Speaking of IT, meant to post an update this weekend but due to a 3 hour job turning into a 16 hour one! I ran out of time. :shock:
Last edited by McScooby on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McScooby

Post by McScooby »

After looking at what I could do regarding space I could only realistically increase my board size a little bit. I have space to setup a larger one but not to store it. Well store it in the house, I could put it in the shed but I don't want to do that as that defeats the whole object of the project at the min.

My final board size is 80cm * 65cm, this would allow my original plan easily or this one: -

As my baseboard size is fixed I'm getting the wood at the end of this week and aim to build it over the bank holiday weekend. I'm picking up the extra track I need for this plan as well so once by board is built I can conduct some " Essential research into the operational possibilities". :D

I will start a new thread in layouts under construction once I have the baseboard parts.
McScooby

Post by McScooby »

I've started to build this layout so I've begun a new thread which can be found here http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 65#p611465