C and O station as it was by CandO

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
CandO

Re: C and O station as it was by CandO

Postby CandO » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:27 pm

PnP - I like the 'look' of the settrack points for the fiddleyard, they aren't my final preference as such lol :D I'm taking all advice on board carefully before ordering all points etc so thanks very much for your input as experience is very much appreciated :wink:

Ooooh I like the look of that Chris - esp the cross over at top right :)

This is so difficult to decide :o

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:01 pm

CandO wrote:Ooooh I like the look of that Chris - esp the cross over at top right :)

It saves the length of a point (whether setrack or the longer code55)
Compare with the three points lower left.

However, having been horizontal and not fully conscious for a few hours, as soon as I looked at this again I saw that I'd missed a trick.
(thank you, subconscious)

There's extra storage to be had from the same number of points if those three upper right in the previous diagram are moved apart.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

CandO

Postby CandO » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:42 pm

Cheers Chris......I've been trying to replicate this using AnyRail so that I can see which item numbers the points and I'm finding it difficult. I dont suppose you still have it on file do you so you could maybe show the numbers? No worries if not as I'll keep persevering :D

CandO

Postby CandO » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:16 pm

Ok so now I'm more confused! Can Code 55 and Code 80 be used together? I've just seen something that said there was a difference in height of the rails and you have to faff about getting them level.... :?

If so I'm going to have to have a rethink as I think my trains will be like they're on the rolling hills :roll: :lol:

EDIT: Oooops! Just been re-reading the thread and seen that PnP has already mentioned this! Sorry!! :D

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:19 pm

CandO wrote:Cheers Chris......I've been trying to replicate this using AnyRail so that I can see which item numbers the points and I'm finding it difficult. I dont suppose you still have it on file do you so you could maybe show the numbers? No worries if not as I'll keep persevering :D

Peco setrack ST 12, ST 15 ST17 for the three curved radii,(St 3, ST14, ST 16 for half-curves)
ST 5, ST 6 for the points ST 50 for the crossover.
I wasn't saying you should use those points/curves: it was just the quickest way of drawing the junction arrangements.

If you need to mix Peco code 80 and code 55 track or poiints it's not a big deal, just not something to do when you don't have to.
After doing a couple of joins it will just be routine.

Chris

CandO

Postby CandO » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:47 pm

Think I've sussed something similar thanks Chris but thats fantastic....cheers!

fiddle.JPG
Setrack Fiddleyard
fiddle.JPG (39.2 KiB) Viewed 914 times

I'm now just trying to achieve something similar in Streamline :D

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:46 am

Taking the points just "round the corner" can give extra length to the loops at little or no penalty, if length is tight or to avoid an S curve.
Look up and right on my last image (could have been done somewhat on the upper left.)

Chris

CandO

Postby CandO » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:43 pm

Thanks for all your help with the potential track layouts chaps.....I now have a list of points required and shall be sourcing the cheaper options..... :D

CandO

Postby CandO » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:25 pm

Not quite sure where to put this question so, as I'm just planning the way to approach the construction of the layout buildings, thought I'd pop it here :D

My layout has a join between the two baseboards and unfortunately it just so happens that one of the larger buildings will have to be located on both boards (something like a 60/40 split). My question is this: Am I better off making the building whole and making it removable from the layout or would peeps advocate trying to split the building then it can be left in situ?

Most grateful for any replies, thanks :D

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:53 pm

I'd say make it removable.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:50 pm

It's a simple decision, if the join in the boards coincides with a join in the building you can split it ( if you want to) otherwise it has to be removable. Personally I'd go to a removable one.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

CandO

Postby CandO » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:02 pm

That's what I leaning to chaps....ta v much :-)

CandO

Postby CandO » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi everyone......Sorry not to have been around for nigh on a year but I lost my dad just before last Christmas and with wanting to make sure mum was coping ok and other stuff I lost my CandO mojo a little. Indeed the boards have been sat folded in the corner of the dining room patiently awaiting the day when they'll be brought back to use! :lol:
Anyway, I'm hoping to get back at it in the next few weeks so thought I'd pay a visit back here to see what's what and remind myself just where I was up to. I have been mulling over the planning in my head and whilst the basic track layout will be the same I have made a few decisions re the buildings in that I'm going to use Metcalfe kits/paper where possible for certain things but there'll be quite a bit of kit-bashing too cos what they have on offer isn't quite what I'd like :D I'll still have to scratch build a lot of stuff but the kits will be helpful for certain aspects.
So that's the plan...... :D :D

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:27 am

Sorry to hear that. Just looked back through your baseboard thread.. Looks a top bit of work. Glad you have your mojo back, or at least on its way.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:35 am

Just looked at your workbench thread too. Great little builds. While kits certainly have their place , if you have the skill I'd say use it! I suppose you intend to scratch build for key structures?

Great to see the forum 20p still being used for scale too :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”