New n gauge idea

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Undereaves

New n gauge idea

Postby Undereaves » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:51 pm

Hello, I'm at the very start of planning a new n gauge layout. It will be 1960s to run the class 24 and black 5 that I already own as well as new purchases (any ideas?) I have plenty of flex track from a previously unfinished layout (my first attempt) I want to build a runaround with storage loops. I'm thinking something in the region of 5/6 feet x 3/4. One of the ideas I have is to model Keswick station. Does this seem feasible? I've found this map online:

Does anyone know of a better plan or other info that may be of use? Or if it's a non-starter for that matter.

Thanks!
Darren

ParkeNd

Re: New n gauge idea

Postby ParkeNd » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:43 pm

Modeling a real place is the best plan in my experience - so Keswick seems fine.

This is 6 ft 6 ins x 2 ft 4 ins - smallest radius of the curves is 10.5".

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:21 pm

"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Undereaves

Postby Undereaves » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:29 pm

Thanks for that plan Emettman, it's more illuminating than the one I found. Suddenly it looks a bit ambitious. I wonder if I should aim for something smaller and more achievable having not completed a layout yet. I'm also concerned about depicting the station buildings accurately, as they seem far from generic and would need considerable scratch building, especially the canopy.

These are the things to weigh up at the outset I suppose. Balancing ambition with pragmatism.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:03 pm

Undereaves wrote:Thanks for that plan Emettman, it's more illuminating than the one I found. Suddenly it looks a bit ambitious.

These are the things to weigh up at the outset I suppose. Balancing ambition with pragmatism.

I don't know how much the track plan would have been cut down by the late 50's early 6o's...
(but those turntables shown confuse me!)

Yes, my first three builds never got properly functional, never mind near completion, for being too ambitious.
Since then I've had three different projects which each absorbed months before I realised that "following through" wasn't going to happen for a variety of reasons.
Yes, I have brought layouts to "operational with scenery"!

For station plans I have no great advice.
I put - station track plans -into google images and started browsing and following leads from there... lots of them.
It depends what you want, and how far you are prepared to "nudge" a plan that is a bit too simple, complicated, long....
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:27 pm

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/sites.shtml

is a very useful site for trawling through (go to the bottom of the page and click on one of the letters) - many of them have track plans - in fact you will be spoilt for choice!

Undereaves

Postby Undereaves » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:49 am

Ex-Pat wrote:http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/sites.shtml

is a very useful site for trawling through (go to the bottom of the page and click on one of the letters) - many of them have track plans - in fact you will be spoilt for choice!

Yes there's a lot of material there. I'm tempted by one of the small through stations fairly near to me like Wetherby Linton road or a more ambitious one being Tadcaster. I'll get the graph paper out...

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”