loft layout planning

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
JimSteele

loft layout planning

Postby JimSteele » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:38 pm

Been a while in the concept phase but have finally decided to stay planning my loft layout.

The first thing I need to do is board out the loft. If all im doing is 'storing' an operational layout and the usual Xmas decorations I'm assuming that I don't need to follow building regs regarding access etc?

The floor beams seem reasonably study being 4x2 inch on 1ft spacers - will these be ok to board without additional strengthening? I might also raise the floor by a few inches to save having to re route alot of cables. How is best to do this? I was thinking mabye some of those plastic stilts from b&Q. I should also drop some more insulation under their. There are also loftzone supports that achieve the same result http://www.loftzone.co.uk/storefloor.html

Thoughts and advice greatfully recieved

Jim

jon_1066

Re: loft layout planning

Postby jon_1066 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:53 am

You could get board with insulation fitted on the underside so you don't need to raise the joist height to get the insulation thickness recommended.

You could also insulate the underside of the roof rather than the floor. This would probably be best to keep temperature fluctuations down whilst you are working up there. Model railways are meant to be fun and sitting in a freezing/boiling loft space is not much fun!

JimSteele

Postby JimSteele » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:04 pm

Thanks Jon,

I need to raise the floor to go over some pipework and electrical cable that I don'f fancy re-plumming. 50-100mm should be enough.
Good idea re insulating the roof. Im not sure how well ventilated the felt is so would likely have to create some ventilation holes in the eaves. Might be a tough job given I dont have a ladder and suffer from bad vertigo..

Jim

clivef5915

Postby clivef5915 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:33 pm

Hi,
4 x 2 joists are quite common in lofts but it isn't really how close together they are but the width of an unsupported span. Anything over 6ft and really the floor should be strengthened before boarding.
Hate to to see all your hard work end up in the bedroom!!
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40184/Bath Queen Square - as never was !

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”