New early urban OO layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
lnernut

New early urban OO layout

Postby lnernut » Tue May 20, 2014 5:06 am

Hi all,

I am currently planning a OO 1920’s-1930’s through station layout. I am currently working on Pre-grouping LNER constituents, so a fictitious area is called for where it might have been possible to see NBR running with NER locos and GCR with GER & GNR. There will be times when the ‘30s LNER stock will be used instead. The initial board I am planning to use is approx. 4’6” by about 2’6”
I want an urban layout, inspired by some of the lines through North London, but I am yet to locate any specific location that matches my requirements. I want probably four through lines with three platforms set down below street level with a large-ish station building set perpendicular to the lines above the platforms with covered stairs down to the platforms. I want to include a canal area inspired by Regent’s Canal, so very urbanised again.
The platforms/lines continuing under the station and road will initially terminate but the layout will be modular so that when the children leave home I can invade…. errr…. move it into a dedicated train room and enlarge. I want to be able to use the urban scene as a photographic diorama with platforms long enough for at least a rake of 5 carriages behind either an A3 or A4.
I want the station to be large-ish and would consider something like the Townstreet Citadel Station building (although it is quite pricey). Arcade walls would run along the sides of the line as the street scenes on both sides would be raised and the lines would disappear into tunnels at both ends for now.
Primarily at the moment the layout will be used for small shunting manoeuvres and some period suburban trains with expresses racing through. The points on the eventually completed layout must have relatively large radius curves as we have a UP Big Boy currently in the post (I know this does not fit either period or location, but we want to be able to run it occasionally - I subscribe to the “It’s my railway, I’ll run what I want” view), and plans to build a GER Decapod.
The layout is to be operated by DCC, but building lighting and other items will be powered by a completely independent power source. I am yet to decide what to do about point motors, but I am assuming they will be required later in the build. I am fairly comfortable with undertaking any wiring required, and plan to use electrofrog points.
Longer Term Goals:
A snow scene. Not sure whether the main layout will include this or a secondary scenic area later in the build. Being in Australia we don’t have much snow and so there is some sort of fascination there.
A Hump shunting yard – similar to Wath. I would love to build a Robinson 0-8-4T (LNER S1) and a Worsdell X (LNER T1) and try that if I have room.

Martin

garth45

Re: New early urban OO layout

Postby garth45 » Tue May 20, 2014 10:05 am

Martin- Can you just check your board measurements. I just can't see how all this will fit in especially in OO. Or is this your initial board with more to follow as you build ?

Kentishman

Postby Kentishman » Tue May 20, 2014 5:09 pm

lnernut wrote:Hi all,

The initial board I am planning to use is approx. 4’6” by about 2’6”
I want ... platforms long enough for at least a rake of 5 carriages behind either an A3 or A4.

If you reckon on 9.75" per coach (over the couplings) plus 11.5" for an A4 with tender, you'll be looking at overall lengths of 50.5" for a four carriage train or 60.25" for a five carriage train. According to your dimensions you'll only have 54" available over all. It would be tight even in N gauge. Good luck with your efforts.

lnernut

Postby lnernut » Wed May 21, 2014 12:13 am

The size is only the initial board. There will be additional boards to follow.

I am still working out the ideas of what I wish to incorporate at this stage.

lnernut

Postby lnernut » Wed May 21, 2014 12:53 am

I was a bit late editing this, but the size of the baseboard is only approximate at this stage.

I will have to rearrange the room to see what will fit, but all reactions have been noted. Thanks

kristopher1805

Postby kristopher1805 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:53 pm

OK well NBR and NER ran together in the borders areas, however if you want NER, GCR, GNR and GER altogether then its called Doncaster, at a push Retford or Grantham will do although the NER came down just north of Donny then it could stretch a ways, GER came up from Spalding on the GN/GE joint, NBR locos would not be common, they had nothing much over the others anyway so no one wanted to poach them, the GCR had good locos such as the J11 and the O4 (8K to Gorton men) were very common after 1923, the NER B16's got around a lot as did GCR B7's (4 cyl black pigs 9Q types)

So there are some nice options as the old South Yorkshire went through Donny and the Midland, GC and H&B joint was close by as well, however Donny is the place 'cos you got A1,2,3,4 and pretty much everything else LNER except the Scottish stuff and you can always have visitors after all plus L&YR from Methley as well,

Now moving to North London there was not much too common as Marylebone had no easy connections to Kings Cross except through Baker Street on the Circle Line and this was always intended to be a night freight link, the Grand Central Hotel being built on arches to accommodate the track underneath !! Liverpool Street was even more remote so anything routed say Sheffield Vic(GCR) to say East India Dock would have to go across to the ECML usually at Grantham then work across to the GER to come in to Stratford, London itself was not configured by the groups but by victorian railway politics especially Huish and the Euston Square confederacy all aimed at stifling the GNR.

Actually it was intended to join the GNR, GER and GCR as one company in the early Edwardian period but the only thing tangible finally achieved was the joint road carriage system between those 3 railways, all long forgotten now.

lnernut

Postby lnernut » Mon May 26, 2014 4:12 am

And there you have hit the nail right on the thumb!

Preceisly why the location has to be fictional. As I understand it York also had a fair smattering of different companies that appeared there (but probably not GER). When I said inspired by the lines in North London I was thinking about the way some lines snaked through just beneath the surface, appearing and disappearing, like the GNR Main line, through gasworks and copenhagen in very quick succession. It is the general look and feel and I prefer the idea of a city layout because of the variety of little details that can be added to the scenery.

lnernut

Re: New early urban layout

Postby lnernut » Fri May 30, 2014 11:26 pm

This might be rather academic. I am considering the possibility of going outside with G or gauge 1.
I just have to work out the best options for location to avoid cars, trucks & animals

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”